4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only one of these I was familiar with was the Seals & Croft, which I already have a good quad conversion of, so I was not to excited about this batch initially… until I listened to the other albums! The Roberta Flack album is beautiful, and the Donny Hathaway reminds me of the Marvin Gaye album “What’s goin on”. The Hot Tuna offering is sort of a country rock jam, so I think I’m going for the bundle. Can anyone comment on the quality of the quad mixes?
"Country rock" is a genre not in my mind in the 70s about Hot Tuna! Jorma (who I interviewed once) is a sociology major from San Jose into the blues. But that is not what attracted me: Jorma (and Jack, of course as Hot Tuna) is psychedelic music at its finest!

[edit: To clarify, Jorma is not from San Jose, just studied there to avoid being drafted 😟 ]

Last edited:
"Country rock" is a genre not in my mind in the 70s about Hot Tuna! Jorma (who I interviewed once) is a sociology major from San Jose into the blues. But that is not what attracted me: Jorma (and Jack, of course as Hot Tuna) is psychedelic music at its finest!

[edit: To clarify, Jorma is not from San Jose, just studied there to avoid being drafted 😟 ]
I saw them at the 1976 Knebworth Festival, from what I can remember! I enjoyed their set.

from all the hints etc, i think we know what the whole lot are going to be now, it looks like
it's.. 👀🤔

Donny Hathaway "Extension Of A Man",
Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly",
Hot Tuna "Burgers",
Seals & Crofts "Summer Breeze"

in which case i shall just about blow my floomin' lid..!! 🤯🤭 Donny & Roberta are 2 of my all-time most longed-for WEA Quad reissues.. 🙏🤤 and the other 2 should be good clean fun as well..!! 😋🎉
These four (Donny Hathaway, Roberta Flack, Hot Tuna, and Seals & Crofts) are confirmed to be the latest batch, in the latest issue of Stereophile magazine (May 2024). There is a good article on the resurgence of quad called "The Forever Half-Life of Quadraphonics" by Tom Fine, with quotes from Mr. Woolard @ForagingRhino himself, along with mentions of the great output by Dutton-Vocalian and Sony Japan. I could not find a link to the article, apparently only currently available in the print edition so far.

Yes but bluegrass, folk, and the acoustic blues are a part of Tuna, no? I would say so more than psychedelic acid influenced. But I have never seen them live or heard every album. I just thought the album covers implied more psych than the music actually delivered.

I hope the series last long, and long enough that there are batches of Quadio titles where it includes titles by artists already covered, like another Starship, Tuna, S&C, Gordon, and especially Randy Newman, etc.

I agree with this. Just in terms of the SF bands, there are at least 2 more Hot Tuna (Americas Choice and Yellow Fever), 1 Starship (Dragonfly), and 1 Airplane (Bark) albums that I would like to see released.

Not to mention that I would like to see the Ellington and MJQ albums
The MJQ Last Concert album I’m very interested in hearing in quad. It’s a very high quality recording of the group performing a perfect set list. But unless it has strong four-corner separation, and not ambient rear chans then I would not be that excited about it. We’ll have to see how that one shakes out.

I agree with this. Just in terms of the SF bands, there are at least 2 more Hot Tuna (Americas Choice and Yellow Fever), 1 Starship (Dragonfly), and 1 Airplane (Bark) albums that I would like to see released.
We all have our favorites and first choices - but I’d rather have Spitfire over Bark so far as quad goes. Another Tuna coming soon I would expect depends on how well the Burgers Quadio performs.

Yes but bluegrass, folk, and the acoustic blues are a part of Tuna, no? I would say so more than psychedelic acid influenced. But I have never seen them live or heard every album. I just thought the album covers implied more psych than the music actually delivered.
Not really bluegrass. Blues by the likes of the Reverend Gary Davis and Jelly Roll Morton along with folk-oriented songs on the first couple of albums. The first album was live with Jorma Kaukonen on steel string guitar, Jack Casady on bass, and Will Scarlett playing harmonica; the second album live with a full band. The third album, Burgers, was recorded in a studio and expanded on the sound of the second album with a more diverse set of tunes.

The other two Quads, Yellow Fever and America's Choice, are also studio albums, but wild hard acid rock, quite different from the first four records. I like all of them, with the rock albums being my favorites.

Two are confirmed, Roberta Flack and Seals and Crofts, Hot Tuna is suspected, and there is supposed to be one out of left field ?
I still wonder what that one is ?

Donny Hathaway is going to happen.....sometime , and not confirmed by Steve Woolard.

Let the speculation begin !

Maybe...Papa John Creach ?

The REAL Hot Tuna is live. Quite a different band, especially back then (and now) as electric -- studio never did them justice, similar to the Grateful Dead.

Burgers would be a welcome album for me , as would Roberta Flack.

Just not into Seals and Crofts Summer Breeze, as it only has that hit single going for it.

Still ......wondering what is... out of left field ?? Could it be something Classical?

Back