4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm passing on the 4 new QUADIO's, maybe come back for Roberta, but the others would be seldom played, just my taste. Instead put money with Joni Box, Fleetwood and The Doors. Yes, it was also a financial choice, it does come in top play. Dreaming for Eagles Box new surround mixes 1st album and Desperado, The Quad mixes of "One The Border", "One Of These Nights", Steely Dan Box and that dam Atlantic Crossing by Rod Stewart, my wishes.
That's cool. We all have different tastes and wish lists, and buying physical media in surround is definitely getting to be expensive.

Since I am still waiting for delivery of the Joni box I ordered and paid for on April 18th, I am hitting "pause" on future Rhino Store purchases. As much as I want to add this new batch of Quadios to my others, I am going to wait until the dust settles after the initial order frenzy dies down before I place my order. I don't know why it is so difficult for Rhino to process and ship out these online orders, but hopefully, waiting for a lull between their major quad releases will yield a better result.
Did you get no tracking, and no shipping notice at all?

Thinking back the the feelings of helplessness we had when the 2010 Quadio program was killed prematurely, then the 2 year delay on the Doobies Quadio Box (so many thought it would never happen), and the sad announcement from AF that the BS&T GH SACD would not have the quad tracks and that they were winding down their quad program and eventually their company, and NOW.................
Well, the one thing that happened right at the point when AF stiffed us on several (yeah like 4 or 5, and not just BS&T) SACDs that should have included quad layers, is that DV stepped in like a knight in shinning armor, and said “Return to Forever” - Quad layer, not a problem here! “Weather Report” - Why not! And then Sony Japan too eventually got in on the action after that.

So there’s always been something good on the horizon (even if it was a botched) Ten Years After quad release, or those Moody’s quads on SACD.

But we did really feel like we were low priority - and that we will get our discs when they get good and ready and not one week before that.

Since I am still waiting for delivery of the Joni box I ordered and paid for on April 18th, I am hitting "pause" on future Rhino Store purchases. As much as I want to add this new batch of Quadios to my others, I am going to wait until the dust settles after the initial order frenzy dies down before I place my order. I don't know why it is so difficult for Rhino to process and ship out these online orders, but hopefully, waiting for a lull between their major quad releases will yield a better result.
It’s their fulfillment center. They suck. There’s no logic to how they do things (I also ordered Joni on the 18th and had it sent to me FedEx next day - still waiting on the Doors and who knows when I’ll get the latest quads from Friday).

Did you get no tracking, and no shipping notice at all?
I finally got a shipping notice on April 29th., but still no delivery. For some crazy reason, they shipped it via UPS to USPS using something called "Mail Innovations." I guess this is Rhino's $8 "standard" shipping option. For a CD-sized package that strikes me as a tad excessive, but since I couldn't find anything else to buy to bump my order up to the $100 free shipping level, I went with it. As far as I can tell, the package made it to the local UPS distribution center a few days ago (which BTW is literally, less than 1.25 miles from my house) and is being "transferred" to the local USPS facility (3.5 miles away.) As of today, according to USPS, a tracking number has been created, but they have not yet received the package. So close...and yet so far. I guess this is part of the whole "Innovation" process. LOL!

Edit --
It just arrived to my mailbox on a Sunday morning. Huzzah!

Last edited:
Needledrop as a quad mix source?

Back in 1990, a CD was made from a direct cut LP (check the back image for more info about this)
https://www.discogs.com/release/130...Korsakov-Capriccio-Italien-Capriccio-Espagnol

Quadios and MCH SACDs could be made from quad LPs (cleaned + click/pop removal and maybe played with the ELP laser turntable), if this is the only way to get the quad mix on a optical disc (or perhaps a copy of the decoded quad LP and a copy of the Q8 tape on a single MCH optical disc) I think this option should be explored.

Kirk Bayne

Needledrop as a quad mix source?

Back in 1990, a CD was made from a direct cut LP (check the back image for more info about this)
https://www.discogs.com/release/130...Korsakov-Capriccio-Italien-Capriccio-Espagnol

Quadios and MCH SACDs could be made from quad LPs (cleaned + click/pop removal and maybe played with the ELP laser turntable), if this is the only way to get the quad mix on a optical disc (or perhaps a copy of the decoded quad LP and a copy of the Q8 tape on a single MCH optical disc) I think this option should be explored.

Kirk Bayne
it's already been done several times, in the case of Universal UK's Deluxe Editions of Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives.." (decoded SQ LP), "King Arthur.." (demodulated CD-4 LP) & "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" (Q8 tape transfer) and Sanctuary's 2-disc edition of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" (CD-4 needledrop), with varying results, some good,
some not so good.

The ideal recovery of a lost but released quad mix would imo be from a Q4, or quad consumer reel - and run through the Plangent Process. This would (I think) clear up one generation of wow and flutter, and be superior to our known and collected Q4 to DVD-A conversions.

Last edited:
it's already been done several times, in the case of Universal UK's Deluxe Editions of Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives.." (decoded SQ LP), "King Arthur.." (demodulated CD-4 LP) & "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" (Q8 tape transfer) and Sanctuary's 2-disc edition of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" (CD-4 needledrop), with varying results, some good, some not so good.
"Six Wives..." was wrecked by brick wall mastering on the quad after the decode, an entirely avoidable own goal.

Isley Brothers recent Dutton Vocalion SACD has an SQ decode on it, but that is from the encoded master tape.

Latest posts

Back