A Special Preview of Quadio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow 24 -192 quad mixes...is that possible? I thought that was only stereo-capable resolution.

I should have guessed it was going to be two of those because they've already made the "rounds" on the homemade DVD-Audio quad circuit...that would be Sundown and Hearts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has those efforts and know they sound fabulous already...so I can imagine what the "real" releases will sound like. Plus I'm big fans of both those albums (forgot how great the America album is with "Tomorrow" probably my favorite song from them)...so those are must buys for me.

Wow 24 -192 quad mixes...is that possible? I thought that was only stereo-capable resolution.

I should have guessed it was going to be two of those because they've already made the "rounds" on the homemade DVD-Audio quad circuit...that would be Sundown and Hearts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has those efforts and know they sound fabulous already...so I can imagine what the "real" releases will sound like. Plus I'm big fans of both those albums (forgot how great the America album is with "Tomorrow" probably my favorite song from them)...so those are must buys for me.
I believe all the Rhino Quadio's have been at that option of resolution, haven't they?

Here's my take on the Tommy James album:

A1 Ball Of Fire
- Definitely from Multitrack; most likely 8-track - though Tommy seems to recall 16. I believe they might have had a 16-track MIXING BOARD, not a tape machine.
Problem with this one is vocals are lead vocals are only in one channel.

A2 Mony, Mony
- From Multitrack, however; it's only 4- track. Not a whole lot could be done. Very discrete, but again, lead vocals are only in one front channel.

A3 (Baby, Baby) I Can't Take It No More
- Not from Multitrack. Stereo cut in front channels; derrived/echo'd rear channels

A4 Hanky Panky
- Always in mono. A disc copy was used. Even back then, they could not locate an actual master tape for this song. Quadra-monic at it's best here.

A5 Crimson & Clover
- From Multitrack. Band session in the fronts, overdubs in the rears. Edits are so noticeable you can hear the splicing tape. It even wanders out of sync for a few brief moments near the end.

B1 Crystal Blue Persuasion
- From Multitrack. Lovely mix. Bongo and organ move around. Very shagadelic. Features Horns/Brass not present in stereo version.

B2 Sweet Cherry Wine
- From Multitrack. Very nice mix. When channels are in proper locations, opening Organ pots around clockwise. Bass front center, drums in BR. Mixing error with backing vocals. They begin in front center but are quickly potted over to Back Left.

B3 Sugar On Sunday
- From Multitrack. Fantastic Mix. This song is part of the reason why when I mix from 8-track; I put drums in the back right channel. Bass front center. Percussion in Back Left. Lead Vocals front center, backing vocals in the rears. Interestingly, lead guitar is in the rears, but I don't hate it. It's only played during the breaks.

B4 Mirage
- Not from Multitrack. Stereo cut in front channels. Derrived/echo'd in the rear. Missing some backing vocals parts near the end.

B5 I Think We're Alone Now
- Not from multitrack. Mono cut used. Colossal amount of delay & echo.

The strange thing about it is that the songs that are from real multitracks are damned near phenomenal. Whomever was at the helm knew what they were doing. Also, the mixes are logical. While they are very discrete, it's not a melange of something over here, something over there. Bass is usually front center. Rhythm instruments and/or leads are in the front, percussives and backing vocals in the back. Like I said, I'd like to know WHO mixed it so credit can finally be known; and if they are still around and cogniscent; it would be a hoot to pick their brains over the why's and how's in regards to the album. I also think it would be a scream to have Tommy listen to it and give his feedback. Maybe he could shed some light on literally one of the strangest Quad albums out there.

Lastly, it would also be prudent to finally "Fix the Mix" on this one. I believe there are 3 or 4 "printing" runs of this tape and to my knowledge, I don't think any of them have the channels in their correct locations. Even one of the songs; I *THINK* it's "Sugar on Sunday" has both lead vocals in the left channels and both backing vocals in the right channels. Turn the whole mix 90°-degrees and it makes complete sense with the call-and-response vocals bouncing front to back.

Last edited:

Ok, thanks for checking, Steve.

Well we got six or seven unreleased, so that's pretty good . Boy I'm so surprised there were not many from that quad listing in Schwann Catalog (mid1975).

But I'll take what we can get. There are a couple of surprises, and I think I've pretty much exhausted my quad search , including fishing .

Now I'll make my purchases on October 13th , and then it's on to the next batch of 50year old quads.
So bring em on.😉

Rod seems pretty motivated by money (maybe all those alimony payments & houses?!) as does The (remaining) Eagle.
Maybe they will come around?
P.S. - any Joni Mitchell?
Seals & Crofts? Vintage R&B?
🙏🏼
I’m guessing in the case of Rod and Don that the amount of money to be made from a quad release wouldn’t be worth the effort for them to even consider it and they might enjoy the control of being able to say “no”more.

Not to derail this thread but just a quick question. Are the quad mixes on the Greatest Hits the same as found on the individual albums? I do know a few of the tracks were shortened (Make Me Smile, Does Anybody Know What Time It Is).
Yes they are. Apparently identical edits were made after the mixes for both the stereo and quad versions of the shorter single versions.

Two of the most glaring errors on the original Chicago quad mixes — Terry Kath’s missing lead vocal ad libs during “Now More Than Ever” (end of the “Make Me Smile” single mix) and a missing acoustic guitar that plays the melody line during the intro of “Wishing You Were Here” are also missing on the GH quad mixes.

Last edited:
I don’t want to think negative about not getting a title. The Eagles have put out surround music for “Hotel California” and at least another title. Getting the Rod Stewart title out has not been ruled out completely either.

It may be that Rhino or an artist might want to do a more comprehensive work with a title, like what we’re going to get with “Moondance.” After all these years, I don’t see releasing a Quad mix on a Blu-ray with the original Stereo mix such a big deal to an artist. And for many out there, this is a way to get the Stereo Mix in 24/192, or a different mastering, or the Stereo Mix in Hi-Rez on Blu-ray.

And, like us, I’m sure different artists like to collect box sets/titles and are paying attention to what is popular or wanted out there. Artists like music just as we do. In fact, they love music so much, that’s the reason they become music artists to begin with! And they may read messages boards or even be a member here, for all we know. So, let’s convey how great the Eagles Quad mixes are. How important they are, and that we really want them.

And the Rod Stewart title, I want this one real bad. It was the first of many Rod Stewart records I bought when I was 15. I used to listen to “Atlantic Crossing” to give me a lift going out the door to school in the morning. I believe each and every Rod Stewart title deserves getting the “Moondance” treatment. But, I’ll happily take a Quadio title. Easy, simple, let’s get it out if we can. Thanks.

Here's my take on the Tommy James album:

A1 Ball Of Fire
- Definitely from Multitrack; most likely 8-track - though Tommy seems to recall 16. I believe they might have had a 16-track MIXING BOARD, not a tape machine.
Problem with this one is vocals are lead vocals are only in one channel.

A5 Crimson & Clover
- From Multitrack. Band session in the fronts, overdubs in the rears. Edits are so noticeable you can hear the splicing tape. It even wanders out of sync for a few brief moments near the end.

B1 Crystal Blue Persuasion
- From Multitrack. Lovely mix. Bongo and organ move around. Very shagadelic. Features Horns/Brass not present in stereo version.

B2 Sweet Cherry Wine
- From Multitrack. Very nice mix. When channels are in proper locations, opening Organ pots around clockwise. Bass front center, drums in BR. Mixing error with backing vocals. They begin in front center but are quickly potted over to Back Left.

B3 Sugar On Sunday
- From Multitrack. Fantastic Mix. This song is part of the reason why when I mix from 8-track; I put drums in the back right channel. Bass front center. Percussion in Back Left. Lead Vocals front center, backing vocals in the rears. Interestingly, lead guitar is in the rears, but I don't hate it. The strange thing about it is that the songs that are from real multitracks are damned near phenomenal. Whomever was at the helm knew what they were doing. Also, the mixes are logical. While they are very discrete, it's not a melange of something over here, something over there. Bass is usually front center. Rhythm instruments and/or leads are in the front, percussives and backing vocals in the back. Like I said, I'd like to know WHO mixed it so credit can finally be known; and if they are still around and cogniscent; it would be a hoot to pick their brains over the why's and how's in regards to the album. I also think it would be a scream to have Tommy listen to it and give his feedback. Maybe he could shed some light on literally one of the strangest Quad albums out there.

Lastly, it would also be prudent to finally "Fix the Mix" on this one. I believe there are 3 or 4 "printing" runs of this tape and to my knowledge, I don't think any of them have the channels in their correct locations. Even one of the songs; I *THINK* it's "Sugar on Sunday" has both lead vocals in the left channels and both backing vocals in the right channels. Turn the whole mix 90°-degrees and it makes complete sense with the call-and-response vocals bouncing front to back.
I think a deep dive into vaults is needed here. We have some stone classic enduring hits, mixes that are high quality considering the source materials. We need confirmation that the tapes are there on this one before any further ideas can be imagined. I have a couple of fantasy releases of this quad material in my mind, ideas for developing it to a concept. But it’s too early to go there. I have an odd feeling that the original quad master cuts are there on a spliced compilation reel. And only the slave copies are now gone. This is an ideal situation if it proves to be the case.

I think that Bill Inglot did remixes of the big hits for the Anthology CD/LP set on Rhino way back in mid-90s. So the multitracks were received with the masters when Rhino took control of the catalog which is also good news.

Yes they are. Apparently identical edits were made after the mixes for both the stereo and quad versions of the shorter single versions.

Two of the most glaring errors on the original Chicago quad mixes — Terry Kath’s missing lead vocal ad libs during “Now More Than Ever” (end of the “Make Me Smile” single mix) and a missing acoustic guitar that plays the melody line during the intro of “Wishing You Were Here” are also missing on the GH quad mixes.
Regardless, this would likely prove to be one of Quadio’s most popular sellers on single disc if they choose to issue it. Hope they do, but not too soon as we first need more exclusive items not yet released since the 70s.

...One would think that it might be a great idea to re-release some of the best of their DVD-A 5.1 mixes on BluRay or a moe current format. Stuff like "Homecoming", "Brothers in Arms", "Hotel California", the Donald Fagen/Steely Dan stuff, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner - stuff like that.

You do realize the great folks in Japan listened to you several years back :). Very recently priced SACD re-issues of all the best Warner DVD-Audio collections are here. All you need is a Universal disc player...
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searchuni?wide=1&q=Warner+sacd

I remember when we did the Producer's Cut DVD-A, Brian Ahern did video showing how he would imagine surround mixes of Emmylou's tracks would sound.

Can't let this comment go unreplied :). This is one of the most unsung DVD-Audios ever released, easily one of my favorites and I own all the main DVDA day-date releases. Extraordinary SQ--including one of the best preserved Johnny Cash voices with "Cross" duet in full surround.

Tried to make copies of the disc so I can keep it in pristine condition because it's pretty much irreplaceable but unfortunately has the potent/infamous "Warner watermark" protection so I can only play the backup on my Oppo. I just try to keep it in it's good condition as possible if I want to play it in my car system...

Yes they are. Apparently identical edits were made after the mixes for both the stereo and quad versions.

Regardless, this would likely prove to be one of Quadio’s most popular sellers on single disc if they choose to issue it. Hope they do, but not too soon as we first need more exclusive items not yet released since the 70s.
Not saying they shouldn’t release it. And certainly not for this reason. Just answering the question as to whether the quad mixes are the same. And without investigating further, I would think that the fact that the errors weren’t corrected for the GH album indicates they must be.

But if they do release it, it would be the first Rhino Quadio I pass on as I already have the set. Which sold VERY well. So they might want to make sure enough of a Quad fan market exists to make such a duplicate release viable.

And the Rod Stewart title, I want this one real bad. It was the first of many Rod Stewart records I bought when I was 15. I used to listen to “Atlantic Crossing” to give me a lift going out the door to school in the morning. I believe each and every Rod Stewart title deserves getting the “Moondance” treatment. But, I’ll happily take a Quadio title. Easy, simple, let’s get it out if we can. Thanks.

I too very much , would love to see Rod Stewart-Atlantic Crossing , get a Quadio release . I just hope Rhino doesn't run into any difficulties that can't be resolved trying to release this disc.
Out of the seven unreleased quads...this is my most required .
I don't think we're alone on wanting this release. At least I hope not.

Back