ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now to RBCD's late 80's hard rock, or hair metal. Stereo, drinking, loud music, that's where it's at. Surround can be too much thinking some time, just need to crank it and let it fly.

I've just learned that Kay Starr, one of my favourite female vocalists, had passed away yesterday at 94.

I'm currently playing her Movin' album in her memory. R.I.P. Kate

I wish I'd had the chance to see her live in Vegas in the late 50's. I love her voice. She was so versatile; she sang it all.

Movin%20cover_zps64zcpjnn.jpg

This is a Capitol promo photo I have framed on the wall of my Living Room:

promo%20portrait_zpskaakmapg.jpg

She was a beauty! :)

older%20kate_zps0ogrbwpt.jpg

Just listened to side A of Abba-Arrival. 45 RPM Half Speed Master and wow what an improvement over the other copy I have. Night and day. Very nice dynamic range.

Just listened to side A of Abba-Arrival. 45 RPM Half Speed Master and wow what an improvement over the other copy I have. Night and day. Very nice dynamic range.

It even came with a very nice (professional) looking Half Speed Master certificate. Nice touch....

For those of you who can get it, on BBC Radio 2 on Thursday 10th Nov at 8pm UK Time its Simple Minds In Concert, the blurb in the Radio Times says "Coinciding with tomorrow's release of their new album Acoustic, Simple Minds perform a preview of the work - which features stripped down versions of their famous hits - live from East London's Hackney Empire. This is the Scottish bands one UK show of 2016". Should be good, I won't be back so I'll have to set it up my satellite box to record it on to the hard disk - never sounds as good as a direct recording from FM stereo though.

While not the most popular "Pink Floyd" release, you can get a brand new copy of THE ENDLESS RIVER - BLU-RAY BOX from Amazon US for $8.10.

If you didn't buy it when released, I can't imagine why you wouldn't buy it for less than $10. Anyway...

LINK

While not the most popular "Pink Floyd" release, you can get a brand new copy of THE ENDLESS RIVER - BLU-RAY BOX from Amazon US for $8.10.

If you didn't buy it when released, I can't imagine why you wouldn't buy it for less than $10. Anyway...

LINK

EGADS, Gos....I paid $30 when it was released. Awesome bargain and maybe time for a back~up copy. Beautiful packaging....although, agreed, not one of their best efforts (by far).

Hope this doesn't mean that this set hasn't sold well.....may affect future surround PF releases.

Addenda: pulled the trigger and ordered a back~up: $8.15 with NO NYS sales tax and free prime shipping.

Thanks GOS.

This is all about music (sort of) - because I am considering, like others to unload some music here and would need to use paypal as the vehicle. So.....if you receive payment from someone by PP....what happens? Can you then take that money and stick in your bank account? Or it stays in paypal as sort of a balance? Balance that can then be used for other purchases... I assume (unfortunately) that that is the case.

This is all about music (sort of) - because I am considering, like others to unload some music here and would need to use paypal as the vehicle. So.....if you receive payment from someone by PP....what happens? Can you then take that money and stick in your bank account? Or it stays in paypal as sort of a balance? Balance that can then be used for other purchases... I assume (unfortunately) that that is the case.

Gene, I've been using PayPal for both my sales and my purchases for close to fifteen years and once everything is set up, it's a breeze to use. Yes, you can link your bank account to your PayPal account. When I sell an item, I receive the payment in my PayPal account. It is then up to me to decide what happens next. I may leave it there and use it for purchases or transfer it to my bank account. In my case, funds I transfer appear in my bank account the following business day in the afternoon.

Gene, I've been using PayPal for both my sales and my purchases for close to fifteen years and once everything is set up, it's a breeze to use. Yes, you can link your bank account to your PayPal account. When I sell an item, I receive the payment in my PayPal account. It is then up to me to decide what happens next. I may leave it there and use it for purchases or transfer it to my bank account. In my case, funds I transfer appear in my bank account the following business day in the afternoon.

Whoa...that's awesome news. Now I LOVE paypal even more. :)

EGADS, Gos....I paid $30 when it was released. Awesome bargain and maybe time for a back~up copy. Beautiful packaging....although, agreed, not one of their best efforts (by far).
Thanks GOS.

That is a real steal. But I just cant justify backing up optical disks with more optical disks.

I wish someone with the talent, knowhow and time would take the tracks of The Endless River and combine them with those of The Division Bell into some kind of logical 5.1 mash up. The TDB vocal tracks breaking up all those instrumentals of TER would make for a very listenable experience IMHO.

That is a real steal. But I just cant justify backing up optical disks with more optical disks.

I wish someone with the talent, knowhow and time would take the tracks of The Endless River and combine them with those of The Division Bell into some kind of logical 5.1 mash up. The TDB vocal tracks breaking up all those instrumentals of TER would make for a very listenable experience IMHO.

It could be that 4ears was talking figuratively. I was. I bought my extra copy, for other reasons. I dunno. Maybe I'll sell it for a profit someday...maybe I'll give it as a gift to someone who doesn't have it. Again, it's a steal. :)

Here is some
TOMMY BOLIN...

DP Mk IV playing "Marching Powder" from Tommy's album "Teaser"

Enjoy...in spite of the distorted sound and low guitar level...
[video=youtube_share;Bdeb9gTgB_g]https://youtu.be/Bdeb9gTgB_g[/video]

LINK

CAN'T ORDER IT FROM OUTSIDE THE USA..but thanks anyway, GOS, you ROCK!

I used to read the graphic novels as a kid and they were pretty far out. The movie should be great.

Well, whomever has remixed/mashed The Beatles for this trailer has officially brought them to the 21st Century and offered them to a new generation. I actually think it's brilliantly done without losing its mind. It's edgy enough and it fits the trailer really well.

Purists be warned!

I'll even dare say give a twenty year old remix artist the whole catalog and let him go to town.

[video=youtube;NNrK7xVG3PM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM[/video]

I used to read the graphic novels as a kid and they were pretty far out. The movie should be great.

Well, whomever has remixed/mashed The Beatles for this trailer has officially brought them to the 21st Century and offered them to a new generation. I actually think it's brilliantly done without losing its mind. It's edgy enough and it fits the trailer really well.

Purists be warned!

I'll even dare say give a twenty year old remix artist the whole catalog and let him go to town.

[video=youtube;NNrK7xVG3PM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM[/video]

Thanks again Simon...I'm also in your "graphic novel" reading club when I was younger...I used to have all the original Watchmen, The Dark Knight, etc.
I'm still a huge Bill Sienkiewicz fan (I have a limited edition signed print of his framed in my bedroom:"Electric Shoes"...he did "Elektra Assassin", "The New Mutants", "Stray Toasters", etc.; he's a BRILLIANT artist...)

One thing though, I avoid trailers now since they pretty much give the movie away...When I went to see "Dr. Strange" in 3D (TWICE) I tried to avoid unsuccesfully to NOT watch the trailer for "Passengers"...but I think I'd blame Jennifer Lawrence (yummy...hubba hubba!) for that....

Thanks again Simon...I'm also in your "graphic novel" reading club when I was younger...I used to have all the original Watchmen, The Dark Knight, etc.
I'm still a huge Bill Sienkiewicz fan (I have a limited edition signed print of his framed in my bedroom:"Electric Shoes"...he did "Elektra Assassin", "The New Mutants", "Stray Toasters", etc.; he's a BRILLIANT artist...)

One thing though, I avoid trailers now since they pretty much give the movie away...When I went to see "Dr. Strange" in 3D (TWICE) I tried to avoid unsuccesfully to NOT watch the trailer for "Passengers"...but I think I'd blame Jennifer Lawrence (yummy...hubba hubba!) for that....

Let's make a deal, start the trailer, close your eyes and listen to the song. When it's done, open your eyes and Voilà! ;)

Back