ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure whether this belongs more in a RUSH thread or a Steven Wilson thread, so I'm posting it here!
Here's the new Steven Wilson cover of RUSH's 2112 track "The Twilight Zone", and it's very different to the original recording at times, with very cool solos from Adam Holzman and Dave Kilminster!
The track was first recorded at a soundcheck while SW was on tour in Linz, Austria this year but later overdubs and mixing was finished in his studio, and the track will be available (physically) tomorrow on the new 40th anniversary editions of "2112". :)

[video=youtube;-xtSj3j5pvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtSj3j5pvY[/video]

I'm not sure whether this belongs more in a RUSH thread or a Steven Wilson thread, so I'm posting it here!
Here's the new Steven Wilson cover of RUSH's 2112 track "The Twilight Zone", and it's very different to the original recording at times, with very cool solos from Adam Holzman and Dave Kilminster!
The track was first recorded at a soundcheck while SW was on tour in Linz, Austria this year but later overdubs and mixing was finished in his studio, and the track will be available (physically) tomorrow on the new 40th anniversary editions of "2112". :)

[video=youtube;-xtSj3j5pvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtSj3j5pvY[/video]

Very cool!! I hope a surround version shows up down the road on one of Steven's compilations... great solo by Dave!

Would be nice to have in surround as would the other "Twilight Zone" versions by Van Morrison and Golden Earring. :smokin

(Mind you, Van,'s Live in Montreaux has the tune in 5.1 DTS, low key surround though)

Would be nice to have in surround as would the other "Twilight Zone" versions by Van Morrison and Golden Earring. :smokin

(Mind you, Van,'s Live in Montreaux has the tune in 5.1 DTS, low key surround though)

I don't know of Van Morrison's "Twilight Zone", but I would be perfectly content if I never heard Golden Earring's song ever again. I've just heard it way too many times on the radio, and I'm sick of it! :confused:

As for RUSH's song, this one grew one me significantly after the 5.1 edition of "2112" came out 4 years ago, and I really love what Steven Wilson did with the track, taking what I loved about the original song and making it his own, with great help from his band! :)

Should be a couple interesting reunions. I'm guessing both Yes & Journey can get it together, unlike many others before...

I really hope so, but with the silly comments that ARW have been making the last few months it might be difficult for Yes. Its such a shame that this didn't happen before Chris Squire's passing.

I really hope so, but with the silly comments that ARW have been making the last few months it might be difficult for Yes. Its such a shame that this didn't happen before Chris Squire's passing.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I also have trouble picturing a Yes reunion on stage, mostly because I can't imagine Steve agreeing to play with Trevor, and if Trevor is not allowed to play, then Jon & Rick might sit it out too.
Personally, I'm very glad that they are finally being honored like this, but yes, it will be a very bittersweet event without Chris there.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for the Moody Blues to get inducted in, and not only have they been at it longer than Yes, but all five of their classic members are still alive, so I still continue to hope and pray that the RaRHoF gets some (more) sense knocked into them and sees to it that the Moodies are part of the 2018 class.

Finally, I'm also very happy for ELO as Jeff Lynne deserves this wonderful honor just as much as Yes does for creating ELO's wonderful catalogue of music.

:)

I hate to be pessimistic, but I also have trouble picturing a Yes reunion on stage, mostly because I can't imagine Steve agreeing to play with Trevor, and if Trevor is not allowed to play, then Jon & Rick might sit it out too.
Personally, I'm very glad that they are finally being honored like this, but yes, it will be a very bittersweet event without Chris there.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for the Moody Blues to get inducted in, and not only have they been at it longer than Yes, but all five of their classic members are still alive, so I still continue to hope and pray that the RaRHoF gets some (more) sense knocked into them and sees to it that the Moodies are part of the 2018 class.

Finally, I'm also very happy for ELO as Jeff Lynne deserves this wonderful honor just as much as Yes does for creating ELO's wonderful catalogue of music.

Well funnily enough Steve Howe has already given an interview to Rolling Stone on the subject and he didn't dismiss the reunion idea, BUT Rick Wakeman has posted on his website "I have no idea if there will be any sort of reunion, but whatever happens under no circumstances will I be any part of it, neither will I be attending." :confused:

Well funnily enough Steve Howe has already given an interview to Rolling Stone on the subject and he didn't dismiss the reunion idea, BUT Rick Wakeman has posted on his website "I have no idea if there will be any sort of reunion, but whatever happens under no circumstances will I be any part of it, neither will I be attending." :confused:

Well Rick is certainly living up to his Grumpy Old Man moniker, isn't he?
It really falls on Steve (& Alan) to extend the olive branch to at least Jon to perform at the ceremony.
If Jon turns down the offer, so be it, but if Steve & Alan just get up there with Jon Davison having not reached out to Jon Anderson first, that would be cause for a riot from Yes fans.

What the hell does Steve "The Grouch" Howe have against Trevor????

another reason for me to intensify my dislike for this guy....

Well Rick is certainly living up to his Grumpy Old Man moniker, isn't he?
It really falls on Steve (& Alan) to extend the olive branch to at least Jon to perform at the ceremony.
If Jon turns down the offer, so be it, but if Steve & Alan just get up there with Jon Davison having not reached out to Jon Anderson first, that would be cause for a riot from Yes fans.

I GUARANTEE you they will not reach out to Jon Anderson. I would bet money on it. Jon is the classy one out of the Yes tribe. Rick is okay too, the rest not so much.

BTW; Trevor Horn is a very nasty, hateful man. Listen to what Wendy and Lisa had to say about him. He HATES gays and equates them to murderers. Literally.

Most musicians are HORRIBLE humans. I hate 90% of them. Abusive, narcissistic, selfish, greedy, ungrateful, elitist idiots. Noel Gallagher was right, although he comes under the same category.

BTW; Trevor Horn is a very nasty, hateful man. Listen to what Wendy and Lisa had to say about him. He HATES gays and equates them to murderers. Literally.

Most musicians are HORRIBLE humans. I hate 90% of them. Abusive, narcissistic, selfish, greedy, ungrateful, elitist idiots. Noel Gallagher was right, although he comes under the same category.

Do you really have to start with all that again?
We're talking about a potential Yes reunion at the RaRHoF, not about the personal actions or beliefs of Trevor Horn or anyone else that has had a successful career in music.

I was reading the newspaper just now and spotted a small article saying that TeamRock who publish the magazines Prog Rock, Classic Rock, Metal Hammer etc. has gone into administration. I hope it survives, I subscribe to Prog Rock, and would seriously miss it. :violin

http://teamrock.com/prog

"Thomas Campbell MacLennan, Alexander Iain Fraser and Jason Daniel Baker of FRP Advisory LLP were appointed as Joint Administrators of Team Rock Limited (“the Company”) on 19 December 2016. The affairs, business and property of the Company are being managed by the Joint Administrators, who act as agents of the Company and without personal liability. The Company is being managed on a care and maintenance basis only whilst a buyer for the assets is sought. Accordingly, the TeamRock website will be unavailable for the foreseeable future. The administrators are assessing the position regarding publication of magazines. If you are a subscriber to the Company’s publications the administrators can be contacted via email at [email protected]"

I subscribe to Prog Rock, and would seriously miss it.

Me too :(. My latest due copy (the one with Vangelis on the cover) never arrived. I don't know if this is due to crap post, lost post, xmas post or the magazine going under before they sent my copy out :confused:

Mine hasn't turned up either :(

Me too :(. My latest due copy (the one with Vangelis on the cover) never arrived. I don't know if this is due to crap post, lost post, xmas post or the magazine going under before they sent my copy out :confused:

Rock and roll hall of fame 2017 inductions just announced, Yes finally in.

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2017-inductions

Yes

Hello Lads,

I've been in a bit of a tricky spot lately, sorry for my elongated absence.

About YES in the HOF, in my heart I do share joy with Colsky and my entire YES family, but I will say this:

Too fuckin little and too fuckin late. I am loathe to use the F word except when it is mandated. Forgive me Jon & Mods.
We all like different music and there's no arguing who's better than who. BUT.

YES owned an entire decade, the 1970s. They would travel from town to town filling 100,000 seat stadiums before music became
a conglomerated power to easily fill stadiums with massive global promotion. The millions who saw YES were there because YES blew them away and took their
ears & minds to a whole new musical level.

YES basically invented an entire genre of Music, progressive rock. If you don't believe me, go ask say RUSH or Steven Wilson...

YES were a band when you could watch one single member for the entire show and be musically satiated and exhilarated. They took their
studio perfect creations and evolved them to a higher level live. Any questions, please check out YES - Yours Is No Disgrace from YESSONGS.
Steve Howe's guitar solo is incomprehensible good.

YES held the record for selling out Madison Square Garden for 5 nights in a row. WTF? That alone should have gotten them in 40 years ago.

YES began in 1968. Almost 50 years ago.

The so called R&R HOF is notorious for being controlled by a select ignorant & arrogant few who have despised Progressive Rock for decades.
Look how long it took for Genesis to be inducted and how many billions of fans heard their music and how many tens of millions of records did they sell???

Yet the R&R HOF is full of two hit wonders who you've never heard of.

Forget the opinion of YES fans. YES' case for induction could be made by a four year old child.

Yeah I guess this means one thing. I'm still mourning the loss of Chris Squire.

We miss your music Mr. Squire.

Its a global disgrace that the R&R HOF have acted badly for decades and now its too late for Chis to make his rightful entry in person.

That's about all I have to say ATM.

Oh...

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Back