ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was bombing around Amazon looking at albums, and ran across Erasure-Wonderland. It was a "new" reprint from Intervention Records (awesome label) and it got my attention. Erasure is one of those names that certainly rings a bell (no pun intended) for me and I never listened to them though as they weren't rock. :violin

Read up on them on wiki and find they were wildly popular in terms of over year record sales. I'm like... huh? Where the heck was I during the 80's? Oh yeah, I forgot...I was busy being a bad, bad boy and really can't remember too much from 1980-1987. :yikes

So - I get on youTOOB expecting to know a few of the songs (since they seemed to be so popular)

Nope, nothing, nada, zip, zilch ZERO. Wow, I don't know any of the songs that were hits. OK, that's my story. LOL!
Just felt like posting this.

Hello, is there any QQ'er living in Boston? I might be going next week and any suggestions would be welcome. Especially if they point me out to any nice music shop

Well, well. So, I have the 2.0 Dual Disk of Back In Black. Some how, I had historically convinced myself that it was superior in every way to older CD versions I have.

Tonight, I ripped the DD and cued it up. My ears thinks it sounds amazing. I also went back and played the CD version...again, my ears think that sounds amazing. The Dynamic Range tells me that the DD is inferior by about 2 points per song than the CD. Geez......

Anyway. Lesson learned.

Hello, is there any QQ'er living in Boston? I might be going next week and any suggestions would be welcome. Especially if they point me out to any nice music shop

Back in the 80's & 90's I used to make a few trips a year to Boston just for record shopping. There were lots of great stores. I know many are gone but I believe some are still there. Harvard Square (in Cambridge) had several excellent stores. There were also a few in Kenmore Square. I think the following are still around:

In Your Ear (957 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston - just outside of Kenmore Square)
Nuggets (486 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston - in Kenmore Square)
In Your Ear (72 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge - in Harvard Square)
Planet Records (144 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge - in Harvard Square)

Looks true it is the BBC, Rick Parfitt yesterday, George Michael today, there is going to be one hell of a band from 2016 up there in the clouds.

This one sort of shocks me I guess. Believe it or not, I was always a George Michael (solo) fan. I thought he had a great amount of talent. Geez. What the heck is with all these deaths??? Seriously!

The only album I have is "Older" I think it is brilliant. I heard my sister playing it when she was younger and said who is this, couldn't believe it (I'm not a 'pop' person), but went and got it.

This one sort of shocks me I guess. Believe it or not, I was always a George Michael (solo) fan. I thought he had a great amount of talent. Geez. What the heck is with all these deaths??? Seriously!

It's amazing how much we get music shoved down our throats, in new compilations, Deluxe Editions, Box sets...blah, blah. Here is an example.

I've had the Black Sabbath - Deluxe Expanded Edition for quite a while now. It's a 3 disc box, with:
1. Original album
2. 1974 Quad Mix & Stereo LPCM mix
3. Stereo Alternate Mixes

OK - Of course, when I purchased it, it was for the Quad mix. For that, I'm good. Tonight, I decided to rip the Stereo LPCM layer hoping for something special. First of all - when I loaded that disc, I could only find AC3 48/24 Stereo. Nothing about LPCM (unless I am not understanding LPCM)

Anyway, I went ahead and ripped the 48/24 Stereo. Hahaha...the DR is a JOKE! On the first song, War Pigs - the DR on the 48/24 is only 9! On my old CD the DR is 14!!!!! To top it off, the 48/24 is way too loud!

Not that we need this example to learn something. We all know that the loudness wars really hit us hard, and it shows it's ugly head more often than not.

Well, geez. This is NOT really about music. Related, yeah maybe. I have high-speed internet. I'm supposed to get 50 Mbs download. I was getting that about 6 months ago...and I sort of forgot about it and seems the speed had dropped dramatically. (In the 12-13 Mbs range)

I had reset my modem several times, only still no faster.

Tonight, I contacted my provider and they eventually did a reset on their end and WOW!!! My speeds instantly jumped to about 75 Mbs!!! They informed me that a reset on their end would take care of any issues....

I'm like.....dammit! All this time I was sucking wind and couldn't fix it. Just an FYI!!

Listening to some Jefferson Starship - Spitfire....on album. :)

6AA8CAAE-DF47-4F60-8DD0-346679954E32.jpg

Some of you will consider this blasphemy, but I for one love it. Rush has made it to DJ Culture.

Here's the first one. Make sure to listen right until the end to hear the DJ's friends' reactions, it's excellent! :D

[video=youtube;zHPyYFJkMwU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHPyYFJkMwU[/video]

Here's number 2 (my fave so far):

[video]https://www.facebook.com/DJPremierOfficial/videos/1139791269475309/[/video]

One last one (this one is more Hip-Hop):

[video=youtube;-pF_Yo-cncA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pF_Yo-cncA[/video]

Hello Lads,

I've been in a bit of a tricky spot lately, sorry for my elongated absence.

About YES in the HOF, in my heart I do share joy with Colsky and my entire YES family, but I will say this:

Too fuckin little and too fuckin late. I am loathe to use the F word except when it is mandated. Forgive me Jon & Mods.
We all like different music and there's no arguing who's better than who. BUT.

YES owned an entire decade, the 1970s. They would travel from town to town filling 100,000 seat stadiums before music became
a conglomerated power to easily fill stadiums with massive global promotion. The millions who saw YES were there because YES blew them away and took their
ears & minds to a whole new musical level.

YES basically invented an entire genre of Music, progressive rock. If you don't believe me, go ask say RUSH or Steven Wilson...

YES were a band when you could watch one single member for the entire show and be musically satiated and exhilarated. They took their
studio perfect creations and evolved them to a higher level live. Any questions, please check out YES - Yours Is No Disgrace from YESSONGS.
Steve Howe's guitar solo is incomprehensible good.

YES held the record for selling out Madison Square Garden for 5 nights in a row. WTF? That alone should have gotten them in 40 years ago.

YES began in 1968. Almost 50 years ago.

The so called R&R HOF is notorious for being controlled by a select ignorant & arrogant few who have despised Progressive Rock for decades.
Look how long it took for Genesis to be inducted and how many billions of fans heard their music and how many tens of millions of records did they sell???

Yet the R&R HOF is full of two hit wonders who you've never heard of.

Forget the opinion of YES fans. YES' case for induction could be made by a four year old child.

Yeah I guess this means one thing. I'm still mourning the loss of Chris Squire.

We miss your music Mr. Squire.

Its a global disgrace that the R&R HOF have acted badly for decades and now its too late for Chis to make his rightful entry in person.

That's about all I have to say ATM.

Oh...

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

First: Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, Dennis. I hope 2017 will bring you good health and happiness.
I also hope that your relative absence wasn't caused by anything bad. I for one always look forward to reading your comments and contributions on this 'ere forum.

Second: I totally agree with your assessment of the HOF.
I recently read somewhere that certain rock bands look at being inducted in the HOF as an insult nowadays. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks for your post (as always) and hope you'll be back again soon.

Cheers matey!

This is absolutely one of the greatest sounding albums I've ever heard. It's a 45rpm version of this one....and WOW! It's as punchy and wide staged as you'd ever want. I ripped the vinyl the day I got it and have it at my finger tips...

The DR is stupid high and the fidelity is off the charts. Oh, if only all albums sounded this killer.

E79466EE-ABCD-4024-AAB7-CCB38FAABF9F.jpg

Back