ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note - The Doors Live at the Isle of Wight 1970 is out for pre-order. Likely just stereo, but who cares. I think I need to buy this...

Amazon

At least wait until it gets closer to the release date...you will probably do better than amazon's price....as much as I love the Doors...I'm not sure I want this one...this was at the end and Jim was in bad shape...there are only 7 songs..it is mixed to 5.1 Dolby Digital by Bruce Botnick... CHECK THIS OUT

Another singing artist, circa 1970. :)

Anyone??

Picture A.jpg

I really do seem to be the minority here. I have every one of the XTC surround packages...I keep buying them because of all the rave reviews about the music......

They are all collecting dust and I never, ever listen to them. I think they are prime candidates for ebay. :)
Clearly, since so many of you talk about how great they are...and how much you love their music...there is something there. Only, I cannot for the life of me figure out what "that" is.

Normally, I can easily be attracted to well recorded music, excellent surround and all that. But for some reason, XTC simply leaves me flat. Bored...nada...nothing. I just can't. :)

Man, now I feel better - got that off my chest. :banana:

Not even ?????????? ‘s??? :howl

You know, I shouldn't even say what I said. I simply don't give them a chance. I'm not sure what sort of mood I need to be in to fairly listen to these...but apparently, I've never been in that mood. To be transparent - I honestly don't think I've listened to any of them in full. Scanned the songs, only to feel bored...and moved on.

You know, for me, it's not like putting on Fairies Wear Boots by Black Sabbath...where the first 20 seconds grabs me by the throat and never lets go till the end of the song. I guess I tend to be high maintenance when it comes to music...it needs to grab me right off the bat and not let go. :mad:@:

OK - so my new year resolution will be to stop acting like I don't like music...when I don't even give it a chance. LOL!
I promise, I will listen to XTC, from start to finish and then comment again.

......only, not today. :cool:

I really do seem to be the minority here. I have every one of the XTC surround packages...I keep buying them because of all the rave reviews about the music......

They are all collecting dust and I never, ever listen to them. I think they are prime candidates for ebay. :)
Clearly, since so many of you talk about how great they are...and how much you love their music...there is something there. Only, I cannot for the life of me figure out what "that" is.

Normally, I can easily be attracted to well recorded music, excellent surround and all that. But for some reason, XTC simply leaves me flat. Bored...nada...nothing. I just can't. :)

That's exactly how I felt in 2016...I kept buying all those prog titles because of the audio quality and then I was bored to death with the content...some like Jethro Tull had actual hits...like aqualung..which I loved..and some of the Yes titles...but the rest of them(most of which I had never heard of)just didn't do anything for me...I guess my rock DNA isn't something that I can just change...I've tried...but for the most part it's been a flop...that's why I started buying the stereo hi rez releases from pop/rock/and jazz artists...and of course I purchased some dynamic CDs of rock titles...I'm glad for the people on here that love that kind of music...but it's not my cup of tea...but now that you are open to stereo/mono discs...there are some great non-prog titles to buy and MO-FI have upped their game and improved the sound quality of recent releases...and along with Analogue Productions they are offering some great titles with GREAT CONTENT...I guess it was just "fate" that Steven Wilson was interested in the prog scene and not rock music...that would have been interesting for us...I know it's not easy to say "no" to these prog releases when most of the people on here are talking about them...but you have to pick your spots and just pass on the ones that you know you don't care about....there is life beyond prog titles:)

OK - so my new year resolution will be to stop acting like I don't like music...when I don't even give it a chance. LOL!
I promise, I will listen to XTC, from start to finish and then comment again.

......only, not today. :cool:

Trust me, all XTC albums (except for maybe the first two, which I don’t like) are records that get better & better with each listen. There aren’t many bands that had as much musical growth over their careers like they did, so I think they are akin to the Beatles in that regard.

If you have Showtime, I would encourage you to watch the new documentary on Thurs Jan 11th called “XTC: This is Pop”. It may give you a greater appreciation for XTC as musicians, songwriters, and even just as people!

All I know is that the XTC releases have been my favorite Surround releases for the last 3 years, and I cannot wait to find out which release we will get in 2018!

:)

GOS;356952[B[B said:
]]I really do seem to be the minority here[/B].[/B] I have every one of the XTC surround packages...I keep buying them because of all the rave reviews about the music......

You aren't the only one my friend(y)

I think it’s largely a function of what you’re used to listening to. The payoffs are there but not in the way that you’re expecting them. I’ve been listening to a lot of prog stuff since I was 14 so my expections are usually met if the material is appealing. There are pop bands I’m supposed to be enamored with yet they never move the needle for me. I will admit that sometimes something I have rejected in the past sounds better 10 years later, there is no formula for what one appreciates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having said all that above, the new Van de Graaff Generator album, Do Not Disturb is amazing. Certainly not an easy listen but I can see there’s a lot of rewards that will get clearer and clearer with subsequent listens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back