ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me, all XTC albums (except for maybe the first two, which I don’t like) are records that get better & better with each listen. There aren’t many bands that had as much musical growth over their careers like they did, so I think they are akin to the Beatles in that regard.

If you have Showtime, I would encourage you to watch the new documentary on Thurs Jan 11th called “XTC: This is Pop”. It may give you a greater appreciation for XTC as musicians, songwriters, and even just as people!

All I know is that the XTC releases have been my favorite Surround releases for the last 3 years, and I cannot wait to find out which release we will get in 2018!

:)

I know you love them, as do many others here at QQ. I totally can appreciate that! The older I get, it's harder for me to get into a band I never used to know....and you are right....for me to have a visual would certainly help. I love musicians that have talent, and many times, seeing them in action is the ticket.

I think it’s largely a function of what you’re used to listening to. The payoffs are there but not in the way that you’re expecting them. I’ve been listening to a lot of prog stuff since I was 14 so my expections are usually met if the material is appealing. There are pop bands I’m supposed to be enamored with yet they never move the needle for me. I will admit that sometimes something I have rejected in the past sounds better 10 years later, there is no formula for what one appreciates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truer words were never spoken.... :) I am a flat out rocker at heart. Meaning, 60's 70's rock. :)
I know sometimes I get into something new and it would flabbergast many. Go figure...

In the end, for me, it's all about emotion. If I don't have an emotional connection with the music - it's super hard for me to give it any chance at all.

And, to beat this subject to death...as an example...I absolutely LOVE all the Vocalion Ray Conniff stuff. How could I... you say? Because of an emotional connection. My grandparents on my mom's side used to listen to an "easy listening" FM station way back in the day...and on that station they would be playing all this Ray Conniff stuff....

When I hear it now, it's sort of like a big warm blanket. I don't have words to explain how much I love hearing it...and well...the surround versions are simply excellent. :)

I know you love them, as do many others here at QQ. I totally can appreciate that! The older I get, it's harder for me to get into a band I never used to know....and you are right....for me to have a visual would certainly help. I love musicians that have talent, and many times, seeing them in action is the ticket.

The hard part for me was having to listen to something multiple times to "like it"...that doesn't work for me...there is too much music that doesn't require a learning curve....my problem...like Gos and many others on here... is that we have so much music that we already like...it becomes more like work for these "forced" listens...it's a hard sell for me...one that I have finally decided to not do anymore...I think Tim is right...it's what we grew up with...now I have changed a little "within" a genre of music...but not to the point where I'm jumping to another completely different type of music...an example is my general dislike of country music..BUT..there are variations of country that I now enjoy...but if you take RAP music(with the exception of M.C. Hammer's you can't touch this)there is no way I could listen to it...

And, to beat this subject to death...as an example...I absolutely LOVE all the Vocalion Ray Conniff stuff. How could I... you say? Because of an emotional connection. My grandparents on my mom's side used to listen to an "easy listening" FM station way back in the day...and on that station they would be playing all this Ray Conniff stuff....

When I hear it now, it's sort of like a big warm blanket. I don't have words to explain how much I love hearing it...and well...the surround versions are simply excellent. :)

Emotional connections play a large role; my IPad jukebox includes Al Hirt - Java and Tom Jones - Thunderball theme and Delilah for that reason. I like random connections coming at me!

I'll admit to a connection...I have an older sister and when I was growing up and living at home with her...she would play Buddy Holly and other stars from the 50's and when I saw the Buddy Holly movie on TV I was hooked... I love the Buddy Holly SACD I got recently..and I can trace my feelings back to my childhood...

I ‘should’ be enamored with Big Star (1970s Alex Chilton) but I’m not hearing whatever the buzz is about. Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis doesn’t move the needle for me. Every few years I try to enjoy Journey To The Center of the Earth (1974) and some of the vocals always sound wrong to me. It took me an extra 20 years to appreciate Bob Dylan.

I ‘should’ be enamored with Big Star (1970s Alex Chilton) but I’m not hearing whatever the buzz is about. Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis doesn’t move the needle for me. Every few years I try to enjoy Journey To The Center of the Earth (1974) and some of the vocals always sound wrong to me. It took me an extra 20 years to appreciate Bob Dylan.

You mention Bob Dylan...I only like his hits...I have most of his SACD's and I revert back to the Greatest Hits version and the others collect dust..his other songs(the non hits)just leave me cold...don't like them..

One of my examples of trying to like music is my latest purchase of the box set Give Me Strength...I didn't like the content of the 461 Ocean SACD...but I'm going to see if the ES mix changes my mind...of course there is more music involved...and some of that I don't like either...so this will be the acid test of me trying to like something that sounds better...it's an experiment of sorts..

One of my examples of trying to like music is my latest purchase of the box set Give Me Strength...I didn't like the content of the 461 Ocean SACD...but I'm going to see if the ES mix changes my mind...of course there is more music involved...and some of that I don't like either...so this will be the acid test of me trying to like something that sounds better...it's an experiment of sorts..

I definitely think that the ES 5.1 mix of “461 Ocean Blvd” is the better 5.1 mix of that album, and that Blu-Ray is such a great release.

I wish Universal would put out a similar release for the Allman Brothers Band album “Eat A Peach”, mostly cause I would love to have a Blu-Ray with both a 5.1 mix (either the 2004 SACD 5.1 mix or a newer 5.1 mix) and the original Quadraphonic mix on one Blu-Ray.
That would be another winner right there!

I definitely think that the ES 5.1 mix of “461 Ocean Blvd” is the better 5.1 mix of that album, and that Blu-Ray is such a great release.

I wish Universal would put out a similar release for the Allman Brothers Band album “Eat A Peach”, mostly cause I would love to have a Blu-Ray with both a 5.1 mix (either the 2004 SACD 5.1 mix or a newer 5.1 mix) and the original Quadraphonic mix on one Blu-Ray.
That would be another winner right there!

I would love to hear the quad mix and I would be open to a new surround mix as well...

That's exactly how I felt in 2016...I kept buying all those prog titles because of the audio quality and then I was bored to death with the content...some like Jethro Tull had actual hits...like aqualung..which I loved..and some of the Yes titles...but the rest of them(most of which I had never heard of)just didn't do anything for me...I guess my rock DNA isn't something that I can just change...I've tried...but for the most part it's been a flop...that's why I started buying the stereo hi rez releases from pop/rock/and jazz artists...and of course I purchased some dynamic CDs of rock titles...I'm glad for the people on here that love that kind of music...but it's not my cup of tea...but now that you are open to stereo/mono discs...there are some great non-prog titles to buy and MO-FI have upped their game and improved the sound quality of recent releases...and along with Analogue Productions they are offering some great titles with GREAT CONTENT...I guess it was just "fate" that Steven Wilson was interested in the prog scene and not rock music...that would have been interesting for us...I know it's not easy to say "no" to these prog releases when most of the people on here are talking about them...but you have to pick your spots and just pass on the ones that you know you don't care about....there is life beyond prog titles:)

In 1919, the great Irving Berlin wrote "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody...." which is the way I tend to feel about all music, whether pop, jazz or classical. I grew up backwards....listening to Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Streisand, etc. and then slowly embracing Bob Dylan [his nasal voice always turned me off], the Beatles, The Stones and then Led Zep...etc. etc. I also grew up watching tons of movies with rousing and melodic soundtracks which played on the radio because of their iconic and gorgeous 'melodies.'

Films like Woodstock which I experienced in an Army Movie Theater in Fort Riley Kansas tripping my brains out on LSD and similar fare like Monterey Pop were Rock's Greatest Hits performed live for a tripped out audience so what's NOT to like?

Truth is......there's a LOT of music I detest because it has NO connection whatsoever with my romantic notions of what the power of being able to have your music listened to entails......connecting with human beings who respond to those pros and cons of good and bad MUZAK!

And then there are those incredible gems which never get a second chance and fade into oblivion....which are only available on scratchy LPs and have never received a digital upgrade [or, as some would call, downgrade] and WE know who and what they are....guilty pleasures, and there's no harm in liking what others don't.

Not liking what is perceived as the BEST of the BEST [the usual suspects] is simply OK. Some are sick 'n tired of the Beatles because they have been played to death since puberty and some are just discovering jazz or classical because of an emotional connection....and that's OK, too.

What WE listen to in the privacy of our own homes doesn't have to be shared on an internet forum just to seem cool and we ALL don't have to agree with such if we really don't feel that emotional connection.

As with ALL things........Listen to what you like or love, eat what you enjoy, see what you like and don't worry if the latest Star Wars Blockbuster seems silly and ponderous........just because you think it's supposed to be cool. Personally, I like Indie movies starring and directed by unknowns simply because they're smaller movies with loftier themes than imagining what it's really like in that Galaxy far away [who CARES?]

It's a NEW Year and you've worked hard for the money so ENJOY what YOU REALLY like and damn all the rest who agree to disagree with you.

In the End, it really is YOUR LIFE...and the ONLY person you should be impressing is YOURSELF.

In 1919, the great Irving Berlin wrote "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody...." which is the way I tend to feel about all music, whether pop, jazz or classical. I grew up backwards....listening to Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Streisand, etc. and then slowly embracing Bob Dylan [his nasal voice always turned me off], the Beatles, The Stones and then Led Zep...etc. etc. I also grew up watching tons of movies with rousing and melodic soundtracks which played on the radio because of their iconic and gorgeous 'melodies.'

Films like Woodstock which I experienced in an Army Movie Theater in Fort Riley Kansas tripping my brains out on LSD and similar fare like Monterey Pop were Rock's Greatest Hits performed live for a tripped out audience so what's NOT to like?

Truth is......there's a LOT of music I detest because it has NO connection whatsoever with my romantic notions of what the power of being able to have your music listened to entails......connecting with human beings who respond to those pros and cons of good and bad MUZAK!

And then there are those incredible gems which never get a second chance and fade into oblivion....which are only available on scratchy LPs and have never received a digital upgrade [or, as some would call, downgrade] and WE know who and what they are....guilty pleasures, and there's no harm in liking what others don't.

Not liking what is perceived as the BEST of the BEST [the usual suspects] is simply OK. Some are sick 'n tired of the Beatles because they have been played to death since puberty and some are just discovering jazz or classical because of an emotional connection....and that's OK, too.

What WE listen to in the privacy of our own homes doesn't have to be shared on an internet forum just to seem cool and we ALL don't have to agree with such if we really don't feel that emotional connection.

As with ALL things........Listen to what you like or love, eat what you enjoy, see what you like and don't worry if the latest Star Wars Blockbuster seems silly and ponderous........just because you think it's supposed to be cool. Personally, I like Indie movies starring and directed by unknowns simply because they're smaller movies with loftier themes than imagining what it's really like in that Galaxy far away [who CARES?]

It's a NEW Year and you've worked hard for the money so ENJOY what YOU REALLY like and damn all the rest who agree to disagree with you.

In the End, it really is YOUR LIFE...and the ONLY person you should be impressing is YOURSELF.

My man - I think this is one excellent post. Maybe one of the best I've read....and I agree and sometimes I need that reminder that it's really about what I like....who am I to care what others like? :)

My man - I think this is one excellent post. Maybe one of the best I've read....and I agree and sometimes I need that reminder that it's really about what I like....who am I to care what others like? :)

Thanks, Gene. Love you Man. And don't think of this as a NEW YEAR but rather an extension of 1 A.D. :yikes

Back