ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to Ogre's "The Last Neanderthal" today got me thinking about another great band with that early 70's Black Sabbath vibe: The Sword... turns out they have a new album coming out next month called 'High Country". You can hear a clip here: http://www.theswordofficial.com/
If you like this, check out their album "Warp Riders"... my favorite from them so far.

Sacramento used to have an FM radio station called KZAP ("98.5, nearly up to normal!") that was technically on the air from 1968 to 1992, but was only truly special from its beginning until late 1978. New owners wanted the big bucks and took it from a very interesting station that played a wide variety of music to one that just played the same ultra-popular stuff over and over. About the only classy thing they ever did was to play the very same song when they signed off for the last time in 1992 that had been played for the 1968 sign on ("Christo Redentor" by Harvey Mandel).

So, depending on how you want to count it, they've been gone for either 23 years or 37.

That changed on Saturday, July 4. Quite a few people from both versions of the station worked quietly for a couple years to start it back up again as a community, listener-supported station. Broadcast-wise, they've only got a 100 watt mono signal on 93.3. It comes in great where I live, but it's clear that most listeners will be using the stream at http://k-zap.org.

They were quad for a while in the 1970s...I didn't have any decoding ability at the time, but I remember noticing the echoed vocals on "Us and Them" bouncing back and forth and (even though I was listening on a mono clock radio at the time!) had a major WTF moment one night when they played the quad version of Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools".

The reincarnation isn't quite as genre promiscuous as the old one was (at least, not during the day--I have yet to listen overnight), but they're about a hundred times more consistently interesting than anything else around here. Right now they're playing "Hold Your Head Up" and earlier they were playing the new Ringo Starr. While I might like a bit more genre variety, they're definitely not afraid to mix the old with the new. There are no real commercials and the yapping is kept to a minimum--just enough to let you know that there are real people programming what you're hearing.

And a couple days ago they played Dan Hicks' "I Scare Myself", so at least on the stream (which, unlike the broadcast, is stereo) they were in quad again.

Sacramento used to have an FM radio station called KZAP ("98.5, nearly up to normal!") that was technically on the air from 1968 to 1992, but was only truly special from its beginning until late 1978. New owners wanted the big bucks and took it from a very interesting station that played a wide variety of music to one that just played the same ultra-popular stuff over and over. About the only classy thing they ever did was to play the very same song when they signed off for the last time in 1992 that had been played for the 1968 sign on ("Christo Redentor" by Harvey Mandel).

So, depending on how you want to count it, they've been gone for either 23 years or 37.

That changed on Saturday, July 4. Quite a few people from both versions of the station worked quietly for a couple years to start it back up again as a community, listener-supported station. Broadcast-wise, they've only got a 100 watt mono signal on 93.3. It comes in great where I live, but it's clear that most listeners will be using the stream at http://k-zap.org.

They were quad for a while in the 1970s...I didn't have any decoding ability at the time, but I remember noticing the echoed vocals on "Us and Them" bouncing back and forth and (even though I was listening on a mono clock radio at the time!) had a major WTF moment one night when they played the quad version of Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools".

The reincarnation isn't quite as genre promiscuous as the old one was (at least, not during the day--I have yet to listen overnight), but they're about a hundred times more consistently interesting than anything else around here. Right now they're playing "Hold Your Head Up" and earlier they were playing the new Ringo Starr. While I might like a bit more genre variety, they're definitely not afraid to mix the old with the new. There are no real commercials and the yapping is kept to a minimum--just enough to let you know that there are real people programming what you're hearing.

And a couple days ago they played Dan Hicks' "I Scare Myself", so at least on the stream (which, unlike the broadcast, is stereo) they were in quad again.

I love to hear about things like this happening across the country...

Listening to CD's 3 & 4 of MoFi Woodstock, which are all of Woodstock Two.

Forgot to mention that I have a CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray of Hendrix at Woodstock, and a CD of Joe Cocker's set.

Still is fine, everybody's vibrating. - Grace Wing (Slick)

Was watching the Minions movie (this time in 3D, which is REALLY well done compared to the disaster that was The Avengers Age of Ultron in 3D, really badly done....) for the 2nd time, 1st time was in English...
And besides Stuart playing "Eruption" on gtr...
ANYWAY
The great part is , that when they get to England, The Who comes up with "My generation", and you get to hear the Ox's BASS SOLOS!!!!

Weird part...end credits..On the ENGLISH version , the 2nd song is "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan (the original one)
BUT
on the Spanish version it was somebody else!!!
Strange!!!

anyway, LOVE THEM MINIONS!!!

Mitchell%2BCrosby.jpg
Fabulous-Furry-Freak-Brothers-Freewheelin-Franklin.jpg

:chill

Today is the 30th anniversary of Live Aid. I was at the Philly show (and still have my ticket!). Oh my, where has the time gone?

Live Aid.jpg

Holy Cow!! I knew the album, Metallica was popular...but I didn't know really how many copies it sold to date...get a load of this. From WIKI...

Worldwide, Metallica has sold 30 million copies on physical media.[74] In 2009, its sales surpassed those of Shania Twain's Come on Over (1997) as the best-selling album of the SoundScan era.[75] The songs "Enter Sandman", "Nothing Else Matters", "Sad but True", "Wherever I May Roam" and "The Unforgiven" were among the 49 songs included on the 2009 rhythm video game Guitar Hero: Metallica.[76]

Holy Cow!! I knew the album, Metallica was popular...but I didn't know really how many copies it sold to date...get a load of this. From WIKI...

Worldwide, Metallica has sold 30 million copies on physical media.[74] In 2009, its sales surpassed those of Shania Twain's Come on Over (1997) as the best-selling album of the SoundScan era.[75] The songs "Enter Sandman", "Nothing Else Matters", "Sad but True", "Wherever I May Roam" and "The Unforgiven" were among the 49 songs included on the 2009 rhythm video game Guitar Hero: Metallica.[76]

very impressive....here are some stats that might get your attention

Back