ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would have been a contractual impossibility for WEA to release any Hendrix on DVD-A because they no longer had the rights to the material by the time the first DVD-A's were produced in '99. Quotation from Dave's Music Database http://whitgunn.freeservers.com/Davemusic/H/hendrix-jimi/posthumous.html : "In 1995, Jimi’s father Al Hendrix regained the rights to his son’s music. The three original Experience albums were remastered for new CD releases and, in 1997, a pair of compilations were issued. Also notable during this era was a box set, expanded reissues of previous live releases, and the development of Dagger Records, through which “official” bootlegs were released."

Linda's comments: I STRONGLY recommend The purple colored Jimi Hendrix Experience box set, originally released by Experience Hendrix on MCA, and rereleased on Sony/Legacy. There are many wonderful alternate takes of his best stuff. This is the box set referred to in the aforementioned quote.

Linda's further comments: Experience Hendrix and Authentic Hendrix are the companies formed by the Hendrix family to license recordings and other merchandise. After the death of Al Hendrix, Experience Hendrix has been run by Janie Hendrix, Jimi's step sister. MCA distributed Hendrix product under license from Experience Hendrix from 1995 - 2009. From 2010 on, Experience Hendrix has (re)released albums through Sony/Legacy. The three Jimi Hendrix Experience albums have been rereleased by Sony/Legacy with bonus DVD-V's discussing their recording sessions.

During the Quad days, WEA had announced and possibly mixed the 1974 posthumous Crash Landing album for release on CD-4/Q8. Alan Douglas removed many of the original backing tracks. He supervised the overdub sessions which took basic Hendrix tracks and added studio musicians, mostly Jeff Mironov, guitar; Alan Schwartzberg, drums; and Bob Babbitt, bass. The Hendrix family has shunned this album, and its' successor, Midnight Lightning as not being authentic. I HIGHLY doubt either of these albums will ever be officially released again, let alone a Quad Crash Landing. As a very hard-core Hendrix fan, I love Crash Landing, but don't care for Midnight Lightning.

Many posthumous Hendrix albums have yet to be rereleased by Experience Hendrix, although much of the material has been released in versions closer to Hendrix's original intent.

My point being you basically have three musicians in a studio and there's really not much you can do with multitracking [surround sound was hardly a priority at the time]........but Hendrix's guitar alone could create a cacaphony of sound which I personally would LOVE hearing extended into the rear channels. I'm sure with current technology some wizard could extract miracles from these masters. But I'm also surprised when Warner/Reprise owned the Hendrix catalog and commenced with their DVD~A catalog that Hendrix should've been at the top of their MUST DO list.....but sadly, NOT. Perhaps because at the time they didn't have much to work with to do a convincing 5.1 remix (MY guess).

Some interesting info about the recording of Axis: Bold As Love https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis:_Bold_as_Love

It would have been a contractual impossibility for WEA to release any Hendrix on DVD-A because they no longer had the rights to the material by the time the first DVD-A's were produced in '99. Quotation from Dave's Music Database http://whitgunn.freeservers.com/Davemusic/H/hendrix-jimi/posthumous.html : "In 1995, Jimi’s father Al Hendrix regained the rights to his son’s music. The three original Experience albums were remastered for new CD releases and, in 1997, a pair of compilations were issued. Also notable during this era was a box set, expanded reissues of previous live releases, and the development of Dagger Records, through which “official” bootlegs were released."

Linda's comments: I STRONGLY recommend The purple colored Jimi Hendrix Experience box set, originally released by Experience Hendrix on MCA, and rereleased on Sony/Legacy. There are many wonderful alternate takes of his best stuff. This is the box set referred to in the aforementioned quote.

Linda's further comments: Experience Hendrix and Authentic Hendrix are the companies formed by the Hendrix family to license recordings and other merchandise. After the death of Al Hendrix, Experience Hendrix has been run by Janie Hendrix, Jimi's step sister. MCA distributed Hendrix product under license from Experience Hendrix from 1995 - 2009. From 2010 on, Experience Hendrix has (re)released albums through Sony/Legacy. The three Jimi Hendrix Experience albums have been rereleased by Sony/Legacy with bonus DVD-V's discussing their recording sessions.

During the Quad days, WEA had announced and possibly mixed the 1974 posthumous Crash Landing album for release on CD-4/Q8. Alan Douglas removed many of the original backing tracks. He supervised the overdub sessions which took basic Hendrix tracks and added studio musicians, mostly Jeff Mironov, guitar; Alan Schwartzberg, drums; and Bob Babbitt, bass. The Hendrix family has shunned this album, and its' successor, Midnight Lightning as not being authentic. I HIGHLY doubt either of these albums will ever be officially released again, let alone a Quad Crash Landing. As a very hard-core Hendrix fan, I love Crash Landing, but don't care for Midnight Lightning.

Many posthumous Hendrix albums have yet to be rereleased by Experience Hendrix, although much of the material has been released in versions closer to Hendrix's original intent. Much of the Cry of Love album has appeared on First Rays of the New Rising Sun, for example. Cry of Love has never been rereleased by Experience Hendrix.

Cry Of Love has been rereleased along with Rainbow Bridge - they were done in 2014 with Bernie Grundman mastering. The mastering job is way better than any previous CD issues of any of his titles. I only wish Bernie Grundman had done the mastering on every Hendrix CD release. Low compression, great clarity, and you can crank them up a lot...

I stand corrected.

Cry Of Love has been rereleased along with Rainbow Bridge - they were done in 2014 with Bernie Grundman mastering. The mastering job is way better than any previous CD issues of any of his titles. I only wish Bernie Grundman had done the mastering on every Hendrix CD release. Low compression, great clarity, and you can crank them up a lot...

I have Cry of Love and the original Rainbow Bridge on Japanese CD's. I'd be curious to hear if the Grundman remasters sound markedly better.

Rainbow Bridge is a movie soundtrack and NOT live concerts at Rainbow Bridge. Those are completely different recordings

Understandable, Linda. These Hendrix reissues are hard to keep up with. I'm still trying to figure what other ones B. Grundman may have done recently besides Rainbow Bridge, Cry Of Love, Miami Pop and Atlanta Pop...

Well, if we assume that your average dirt-common 12AX7 tube needs about 300 mA (0.3 Amps) @ 6 volts to light the filaments, and I think a USB jack is good for about 500 mA @ 5V, the voltage would be a little low, but there's certainly enough current available and oh my God what am I talking about.

I used to love taking the tubes out of my Ampeg B-25 amp (which I no longer have) and my father's Ampeg B-15 amp (which I still have) and going to the local hardware store and testing them all. I had the 12AX7 tubes and I think the big ones were 6L6GC, along with others. Seeing the glow brought out the Mad Scientist in me !!! :mad:@:

I have Cry of Love and the original Rainbow Bridge on Japanese CD's. I'd be curious to hear if the Grundman remasters sound markedly better.

Rainbow Bridge is a movie soundtrack and NOT live concerts at Rainbow Bridge. Those are completely different recordings

Understand about Rainbow Bridge. This is the first time I've had the album; the only thing I've had previously was an old Rhino DVD from the late '90s with the old film that was done.
I have that old Japanese Cry Of Love CD - which sounds pretty good to me - but I think you'll find that the new one beats it considerably.

I may still have my original Rainbow Bridge WB Japan LP. It sounded pretty good, as I recall.

Understand about Rainbow Bridge. This is the first time I've had the album; the only thing I've had previously was an old Rhino DVD from the late '90s with the old film that was done.
I have that old Japanese Cry Of Love CD - which sounds pretty good to me - but I think you'll find that the new one beats it considerably.

Thank you linda,
Being a Hendrix fan I have bought a used copy of the purple box set from amazon on your advice. This site certainly helps me spend my money.....in between picking up the rest of the Ryko Bowie cds I didn't own before.... and more surround recommendations.

Linda are you a believer that the original west German and Japan RCA Bowie cds sound better?

I used to love taking the tubes out of my Ampeg B-25 amp (which I no longer have) and my father's Ampeg B-15 amp (which I still have) and going to the local hardware store and testing them all...

When I was a kid, our tube tester was at the local drugstore. It was right next to one of the front windows. It also had some serious leakage current to its metal cabinet, so if you happened to touch it and the aluminum window frame at the same time, you'd get one hell of a JOLT! And I mean it would mess up your day.

My friends & I told management about it more than once, but they never got it fixed. So eventually we just started taking other kids there and tricking them into unexpected electrocutions, just for shits & giggles. Finally it just went away like all the other in-store tube testers. Dunno if it ever actually killed anybody.

...I had the 12AX7 tubes and I think the big ones were 6L6GC, along with others. Seeing the glow brought out the Mad Scientist in me !!! :mad:@:

Ampeg B-15... Is that the one where the chassis flips upside-down and stows inside the speaker box? I always thought those were way cool. :smokin

-- Jim

When I was a kid, our tube tester was at the local drugstore........

EVERY drug store had a tube tester and a stock of tubes under it. When you think back it's kind of hard to believe, as it doesn't seem that the average consumer would be pulling tubes and replacing them, but as I recall, they were pretty easy to spot when bad. They just didn't light up!!

My brain has scattered remembrances of things like screen grids and suppressor grid spacing, and I somehow remember that my table top radio once needed a 50C5 tube(!!). Why I remember that I have no idea. :confused:

Very good flashback Jim.

Back