Beach Boys - Pet Sounds on Blu Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAME MIX!!

I spot listened to a couple of tunes and the mix on the BluRay appears and sounds exactly like the DVD-A mix, to me anyway. It's a shame because a tune like "God Only Knows", with it's chorus 'rounds', might have been very cool with a swirling round at the end with the repeated vocal going around the listener (in good taste mind you, not a hammer on the head panning), but instead it's just like the DVD-A mix, kind of an expanded mono. There is not much discrete in this mix, and it certainly, as you can see, is not really 5.1 but 4.0.

But then again, you "see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear. Dig?"

Wav forms from "God Only Knows" - BluRay Rip on top, DVD-A Rip on bottom:

waves.jpg

In a way, I'm glad about this. I actually love the DVD-A 5.1 mix, and with that and the Pet Sounds Sessions box that I already have, this new box holds little interest and I'd rather spend my hard earned cash elsewhere. I *may* just cave and buy the mono vinyl though ;)

Maybe rather than a different mix, the new BD's a slightly different mastering?

Fronts look like they'd sound (stick with me, I realise this has an air of crazy talk about it already!) like they're at a lower level on the BD-A than DVD-A..

Also, though its hard for me to tell exactly from the pix with the way my screen is setup, it seems there are little spikes of things in each set that don't exactly resemble one another (the rears look like they have the most differences between the two formats but it looks that way for all 4 tracks) which might indicate some minor mix differences, maybe?

I know it sounds batty, saying all that from just looking at a pic I realise I'm probably coming across as a nutty waveform whisperer.. ah well, if the shoe fits, kick me with it baby! :eek:

anyway.. very interesting, thank you for sharing the pic and info Jon, much appreciated.

Will definitely pick this up eventually regardless of the surround mix as its such a super album and the set does look lovely with the book and all (and who doesn't need a gazillionth version of a Classic! ;) ).. just waiting for one to come up used/cheap (just call me cheapskate McB! :D )

Interesting.. looking at those different waveforms, while v.similar, they don't appear to be totally identical..?

I saw that as well, but listening to sections that looked a bit different resulted in the same audio sound. Nothing was different, not even volume. I would guess it's just a matter of what levels were used when each source was used to create each disc. Also, the DVD-A was ripped with DVD Audio Explorer and the BluRay with MakeMKV/AudioMuxer. Could be that as well.

Either way it appears very close and it sounds the same to me. The lack of data in the center and sub is almost the clincher. You would think if someone was going to make a new 5.1 mix they would actually make a 5.1 mix.

Still, like I said, the entire package is very cool. And if you are a fan of this album it is totally well worth the price, new mix or not.

I saw that as well, but listening to sections that looked a bit different resulted in the same audio sound. Nothing was different, not even volume. I would guess it's just a matter of what levels were used when each source was used to create each disc. Also, the DVD-A was ripped with DVD Audio Explorer and the BluRay with MakeMKV/AudioMuxer. Could be that as well.

Either way it appears very close and it sounds the same to me. The lack of data in the center and sub is almost the clincher. You would think if someone was going to make a new 5.1 mix they would actually make a 5.1 mix.

Still, like I said, the entire package is very cool. And if you are a fan of this album it is totally well worth the price, new mix or not.

Well that's good enough for me, if you say they sound the same, seals the deal afaic.

Personally wish the surround had been redone, I'm not enamoured of the original 5.1.. fair play to those who do like it though! :upthumb

Jon, thanks!! - just saved me some money since I was able to cancel my Amazon order.

Have you tried subtracting the two files from each other? The difficult part is you would have to match the starting note file position exactly. It's the old OOPS test.

Andy

Having a brain freeze.. :eek: Which was/were the track(s) that had full range content in the LFE channel and/or were said to have channels wrongly assigned on the DVD-A of this one again please?

Edit: Might be interesting to have a look at that track/those tracks (really can't recall which song/songs..!) and see if they repurposed them at all for the new BD?

Isn't Wouldn't It Be Nice supposed to be one with a problem?

Does anyone who has purchased this set have a view on whether the surround mix is exactly the same 'mastering' as the DVD-A? I had a European 2 disc release of Pet Sounds from around 2006-2007 that had the surround mix on a DVD-V. The mix sounded more balanced to me than the one on the DVD-A. The bass was more present. It could be its the same mix but correctly mastered or implemented could make a big difference. Waiting for an informed review to make a decision on purchase.

I have that DVD-V.

Is the DVD-A worth getting or am I ok with what I've got?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a quick go at picking the Surround on the DVD-A of this apart tonight, looking at the individual 6 channels of each song for the first time ever.. and it does seem pretty weird in there, got to say.

Half a dozen tracks in so far, take Track 1 as an example, I would say all the tracks are wrongly assigned!
I may be totally wrong but for me Front L&R work better as Rear L&R and so vice versa, Rears become Fronts... and Channel 3 (usually the Centre) has low bass content albeit at a low level and Channel 4 (usually the LFE track) has lots of lovely harmony vocals in it just at a crazily low level.. I worked out if you greatly increase the level of what should be the LFE channel, then you miraculously get those harmony vocals.. that uncannily seem to work well in the centre channel..!

It gets weirder.. on a couple of other tracks while the fronts and rears appear to be ok, I've found there is also Centre channel and LFE info buried, it is just at such a mega low level you can't detect it in either case.. boost both and ta-da you've got dry vocals that sound great in the centre channel and some low bass in the sub..!

Then things get even weirder when it emerges some of the tracks have one front channel that just works better as one of the rears (either lead vocals are lower level in those channels, sometimes with reverb, or they have backing vocals mixed higher in those channels than the lead vocals, which to me is a giveaway they had to be in the wrong channel originally, surely?) ..anyway I've found so far on those couple of tracks that by swapping just, say, Front Right with Rear Right things can snap more into focus.

Track 5 has no LFE content (even when whacked up by daft levels like +50db there's just zilch) but does have nice dry lead vocals in the Centre channel, that even cut out in the track when the strings come in and then the vocals kick back in again when the strings section ends, its extraordinary to hear those vocals in isolation! Why would anyone bury them?

I'm too zonked to carry on tonight but I will revisit and mess around with the remaining songs soon and see how they work out.. maybe you guys will be inclined to have a look at it all on your computers tonight (if you haven't done so already) and see if your findings marry up with any of mine at all..?

Suffice to say so far I'm inclined to believe the 6 channels on the disc by and large have the raw ingredients of a pretty decent surround mix but have been buggered up in some way. If that is not the case, then why would anyone involved in either the creation of the mix or the mastering or even authoring stage of this dial down the centre channel, which has unique content distinct from the other channels, to such an extent as to be inaudible..?
It just makes no sense to me..

Yet, unless I'm remembering wrongly, didn't the fellow who remixed this go on record at one point saying he preferred a 4-channel mix... and thats why there's no Centre channel on most tracks?

When there actually is some kind of a centre track..!

Would it be too far-fetched to speculate there was potentially a cover up back in the day, when it was found the finished product was a mess but by then it was too late, discs were pressed and out there and those involved were told to keep their lips buttoned and/or bluff their way out of it..? Hmm.. who knows? Not me but its fun playing around with the tracks and seeing whats actually going on in them after all these years of living with the surround mix "as is" :D

Ok, so my comparison of the Blu-Ray and DVD-A/V is a little late because Jon already beat me to it, and he's right in that it's the exact same mix, but it does not appear to be the same mastering necessarily.
I played both "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Caroline No" as FLAC files ripped from the original DVD-A/V disc followed by the same tracks on the 2016 Blu-Ray, and while the mix appeared to be exactly the same, the Blu-Ray was not as loud as the DVD-A/V FLAC files were, creating a slightly more pleasing sound to my ears.
Also, I should say this. While the mix is the same, if there was any reason to get a super deluxe edition for reasons other than the surround mix, it's this one!
There's stereo & 5.1 bonus tracks (all of which were on the original DVD-A/V I think) plus mono, stereo, and stereo instrumental versions of the album in high-res on the Blu-Ray disc.
Then you've got lots of additional material on the CDs including "The Pet Sounds Sessions" reels, alternate versions, Vocal-Only mixes, and previously unreleased live recordings, not to mention that the book is absolutely gorgeous!
Now if you already have both the DVD-A/V disc and the original Pet Sounds Sessions box set from 1996, then maybe this set isn't for you, but for everyone else, it comes highly recommended by yours truly! :)

A new Blu-Ray release is coming from Eagle Rock Entertainment in September as part of the continuing Classic Album Series:

81SXXUBNQEL._SL1500_.jpg

The latest addition to the acclaimed & award winning Classic Albums series tells the story behind the making of The Beach Boys ground breaking album Pet Sounds, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year. Pet Sounds was recorded in late 1965 and early 1966, about a year after Brian Wilson had withdrawn from playing live with The Beach Boys in order to concentrate on composing and studio work. While the rest of the band were out on tour, Brian Wilson worked in the studio creating multi-layered compositions with painstaking attention to detail utilizing orchestration, sound effects and unusual instruments. When the band returned from tour they went into the studio to add their trademark complex vocal harmonies.

The new direction of the music caused some consternation within the group and the program explores the band's relationship at this time as well as the creation of the music through interviews with all the surviving Beach Boys and others involved in the creation of the album. The US press didn't know what to make of the album at first, although it later became acknowledged as both important and influential. In the UK the album was immediately acclaimed and commercially successful, peaking at No.2 in the albums chart and remaining in the Top 10 for 6 months. Pet Sounds is now universally regarded as one of the finest albums of the sixties and thoroughly merits its place in the Classic Albums series.

Featured Songs:
Cuts from many of the Pet Sounds album tracks including God Only Knows, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Sloop John B, I Know There's An Answer, Let's Go Away For A While and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.

Bonus Features:
Over 30 minutes of additional interviews not included in the broadcast version.

:)

A short video teaser for the new Blu-Ray documentary:

[video=youtube;cTxfM-ltk8w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxfM-ltk8w[/video]

SAME MIX!!

I spot listened to a couple of tunes and the mix on the BluRay appears and sounds exactly like the DVD-A mix, to me anyway. It's a shame because a tune like "God Only Knows", with it's chorus 'rounds', might have been very cool with a swirling round at the end with the repeated vocal going around the listener (in good taste mind you, not a hammer on the head panning), but instead it's just like the DVD-A mix, kind of an expanded mono. There is not much discrete in this mix, and it certainly, as you can see, is not really 5.1 but 4.0.

But then again, you "see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear. Dig?"

Wav forms from "God Only Knows" - BluRay Rip on top, DVD-A Rip on bottom:

View attachment 26906

I also liked the DVD-A mix, and I'm glad this is the same mix so I don't have to spend the money on it. They made it a wide mix, and there actually is some good front-back separation. My favorite Beach Boys album made better.

I have the DVD-A but it has been a while since I played it.
Nevertheless, I decided to buy this box because of the extra discs and because right now the deluxe box is CDN$36.69 in Amazon CA. So I couldn't resist.

Dumb question from a newbie – so Japan is the only place you can get the shm version of the deluxe blu-ray set correct? There was only one production run and that is sold out. Where are the best places to order shm versions in the future? Will there be another production run in the future?

Dumb question from a newbie – so Japan is the only place you can get the shm version of the deluxe blu-ray set correct? There was only one production run and that is sold out. Where are the best places to order shm versions in the future? Will there be another production run in the future?
I personally use CDJapan for anything Japanese. I live in Calif so speed of shipping and shipping costs from them is real good. If the Japanese decide to release a version of anything you can bet it will be good. Keep in mind SHM (Super High Material) discs do sound better , albeit barely then a non SHM. Also some audiophiles refer to it as a gimmick as they are still 16bit/44.1 unless it is SHM SACD. Blu Spec CD2 is another version like SHM CD. You are correct, all Japanese releases usually sell out pretty fast, sometimes they will re-release but not always. I just purchased the Rolling Stones Mono Box Set SHM CD from CDJapan and I love it. It's good for newbies to ask questions, we where all newbies at one point and I am certainly still a newbie in some audiophile topics.

Back