Beach Boys - Pet Sounds on Blu Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I know. I'm a sucker for Pet Sounds....I'm pretty interested in the instrumental version of the album on the blu-ray, which claims to be a new hi-rez 192/24 stereo. It might sound excellent..or it may not...

I hear you...I have just come to accept the fact that after 2 attempts at trying to get a good version of Pet Sounds that it's not in the cards...I've moved on...much like some of the Rush catalog...I have accepted my fate and refuse to get sucked into another "fluff" attempt to get what I want...you probably could get that in a download(as much as I hate to admit it) in the future....instead of buying the "throw aways"(CD's)

I hear you...I have just come to accept the fact that after 2 attempts at trying to get a good version of Pet Sounds that it's not in the cards...I've moved on...much like some of the Rush catalog...I have accepted my fate and refuse to get sucked into another "fluff" attempt to get what I want...you probably could get that in a download(as much as I hate to admit it) in the future....instead of buying the "throw aways"(CD's)

True - this one has been tugging at my heart strings for some time now. Bastages...

BUT...when Smiley SMile finally releases on SACD stereo, I will be all over that one like white on rice. Another favorite of mine as well.

I like to support hi rez surround releases but I can't get behind that one at $50 for 1 album, with the same mix we already have on DVDA that's crazy expensive. I actually don't even care if it also includes Brian Wilson blowing a trumpet while taking a shit on the toilet with the Dave Clark five singing god only knows in the bathtub.

Back cover of the new set (from amazon):
81Cv9ucTdbL._SL1346_.jpg

:)

I like to support hi rez surround releases but I can't get behind that one at $50 for 1 album, with the same mix we already have on DVDA that's crazy expensive. I actually don't even care if it also includes Brian Wilson blowing a trumpet while taking a shit on the toilet with the Dave Clark five singing god only knows in the bathtub.

I actually Would pay more for that!

I was annoyed with myself for weakening and ordering the 5 disc set.

jpc (Germany) had it on offer.

It is ABSOLUTELY SUPERB - an easy 11/10

The book is lovely.
The Blu-ray is well authored and sounds fabulous.
I'll keep my Analogue Productions SACD, but all the others are redundant.

I slammed Mark Linett for the 2012 CD reissues. It bewilders me how anybody who can produce anything as bad as those can produce anything as excellent as this set.

So now we have a template. Wouldn''t it be nice if Capitol were to bring out all the other Beach Boys albums in similar format? And then lock Sam Okell, Giles Martin and the rest of the Abbey Road team in a padded cell somewhere and get all the Beatles albums released in this same format.

Incidentally, track 23 is magic too on CD4.

Last edited:
I was annoyed with myself for weakening and ordering the 5 disc set.

jpc (Germany) had it on offer.

It is ABSOLUTELY SUPERB - an easy 11/10

The book is lovely.
The Blu-ray is well authored and sounds fabulous.
I'll keep my Analogue Productions SACD, but all the others are redundant.

I slammed Mark Linett for the 2012 CD reissues. It bewilders me how anybody who can produce anything as bad as those can produce anything as excellent as this set.

So now we have a template. Wouldn''t it be nice if Capitol were to bring out all the other Beach Boys albums in similar format? And then lock Alan Rouse, Sam Okell, Giles Martin and the rest of the Abbey Road team in a padded cell somewhere and get all the Beatles albums released in this same format.

Incidentally, track 23 is magic too on CD4.

Thank you for all the info :) It seems like a worthwhile collectors' set.

Would you say the 5.1 on the new Blu-ray is the same as the old DVD-Audio (as has been prev suggested over at the SHF)?

I know, I know. I'm a sucker for Pet Sounds....I'm pretty interested in the instrumental version of the album on the blu-ray, which claims to be a new hi-rez 192/24 stereo. It might sound excellent..or it may not...

You mean instrumental like the old "Muzak" instrumentals you would hear while you were shopping:violin...if I had a turntable(like you do) I would buy the mono vinyl version that Kevin Gray worked on...it's gotten great feedback and FOR ME the mono version is what I'd like to have...this is the one

Thank you for all the info :) It seems like a worthwhile collectors' set.

Would you say the 5.1 on the new Blu-ray is the same as the old DVD-Audio (as has been prev suggested over at the SHF)?

I'm sure it is. But I love mixes that have a lot going on in the rear speakers. I have no idea whether the centre speaker or sub are used. The bass is there alright.

I forgot to mention value for money. It's got five well mastered discs in a lovely hard bound book with superb colour printing. It's a bargain.

Two confessions.

Early on I got up to check that the front left speaker was actually switched on.
I find Wouldn't It Be Nice vastly more to my taste without the lead vocal.

And then lock Alan Rouse, Sam Okell, Giles Martin and the rest of the Abbey Road team in a padded cell somewhere and get all the Beatles albums released in this same format.

Sadly, Allan Rouse died earlier this year.

Paul Sinclair from Super Deluxe Edition has posted this great unboxing video of the "Pet Sounds" deluxe edition, and honestly, it now looks worth purchasing this set just for the Blu-Ray and book alone, even though it looks like the CDs contain a lot of great material I don't currently have at the moment.
I'll probably get it once my Chicago order goes through, especially since the amazon US price has dropped about $10 since the release date last Friday. :)

[video=youtube;xUtgB45nAuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUtgB45nAuQ#t=263[/video]

BUT...when Smiley SMile finally releases on SACD stereo, I will be all over that one like white on rice. Another favorite of mine as well.

Just make sure you eat you vegetables when you listen to it. :D

Does anyone who has purchased this set have a view on whether the surround mix is exactly the same 'mastering' as the DVD-A? I had a European 2 disc release of Pet Sounds from around 2006-2007 that had the surround mix on a DVD-V. The mix sounded more balanced to me than the one on the DVD-A. The bass was more present. It could be its the same mix but correctly mastered or implemented could make a big difference. Waiting for an informed review to make a decision on purchase.

I just got this in and will compare the wav files from the DVD-A to the BluRay as soon as I get it on the PC. The set itself is quite a nice package - book form and appears very sturdy unlike some other expensive sets, this one appears that it will hold up well. 5 discs and a book make this a very good value, IMHO, for around $60.

More later

Pet Sounds Book.jpg
Pet Sounds Box Sticker.jpg
Pet Sounds Discs.jpg

I just got this in and will compare the wav files from the DVD-A to the BluRay as soon as I get it on the PC. The set itself is quite a nice package - book form and appears very sturdy unlike some other expensive sets, this one appears that it will hold up well. 5 discs and a book make this a very good value, IMHO, for around $60.

More later

View attachment 26904
View attachment 26903
View attachment 26905

Thanks Jon,

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Back