Beach Boys - Pet Sounds on Blu Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArticleSharedImage-61691.jpg

Is this a big 12" book, or 10" size? Must feel good to behold......?

Time to give my ol' DVD-A a fresh listen. I think I've only ever heard the DVD-V layer. I can't say I was super-impressed with that layer, but I also had lowish expectations, given the age of the recording.
Are we being a little hard on the Beave maybe?

I'm afraid that the DVD Audio layer of Pet Sounds isn't much better.
A very disappointing release sonically.

But nice to have on DVD-A as a collector's item.

I'm guessing the orange-coloured disc at the back right of the row of discs in quicksrt's image is the Blu-ray Audio..?
I don't see a number on it like the others; "Disc 1", "Disc 2", "Disc 3", "Disc 4"..
..maybe that's so they can press up some more of 'Disc 5' (that doesn't have any "Disc 5" silk screen printing on it in the first place) and do a standalone HFPA Blu-ray after all..?

I'm guessing the orange-coloured disc at the back right of the row of discs in quicksrt's image is the Blu-ray Audio..?
I don't see a number on it like the others; "Disc 1", "Disc 2", "Disc 3", "Disc 4"..
..maybe that's so they can press up some more of 'Disc 5' (that doesn't have any "Disc 5" silk screen printing on it in the first place) and do a standalone HFPA Blu-ray after all..?

Yes, in the image above, the orange disc is the Blu-Ray Audio disc.

Brian, I'm just curious as to what DVD~A player you are utilizing to play Pet Sounds?

I've played it on the Oppo 105 and also tried it with a couple of Multichannel DACs.
Pet Sounds is definitely not one of the better sounding Surround Sound DVD Audio discs here on any of those players and DACs.

I've played it on the Oppo 105 and also tried it with a couple of Multichannel DACs.
Pet Sounds is definitely not one of the better sounding Surround Sound DVD Audio discs here on any of those players and DACs.

The reason I inquired Brian is that I KNOW you have a superb sounding SACD mch set up (I use the OPPO BDP~105) but for DVD~A playback I utilize the Meridian 800 (which I just had upgraded) and I can testify that there is NO comparison between the OPPO and the Meridian as pertains to the playback of DVD~A. The Meridian has an authority and "heft" that the OPPO can only hint at......

I someday hope to have your SACD mch set up but take my word for it......Pet Sounds is an entirely different (and unique) listening experience via the Meridian.......http://product-images.highwire.com/8670558/2755-2.jpg

The reason I inquired Brian is that I KNOW you have a superb sounding SACD mch set up (I use the OPPO BDP~105) but for DVD~A playback I utilize the Meridian 800 (which I just had upgraded) and I can testify that there is NO comparison between the OPPO and the Meridian as pertains to the playback of DVD~A. The Meridian has an authority and "heft" that the OPPO can only hint at......

I someday hope to have your SACD mch set up but take my word for it......Pet Sounds is an entirely different (and unique) listening experience via the Meridian.......http://product-images.highwire.com/8670558/2755-2.jpg

Actually I have a Meridian 861. But the DACs + the EMM Labs Switchman Preamp best the Meridian to my ears.
As for DVD Audio discs, there are some good sounding ones on the DACs + Switchman. But Pet Sounds DVD-A disc is definitely not one of the "A List" sounding DVD-A discs here.

Actually I have a Meridian 861. But the DACs + the EMM Labs Switchman Preamp best the Meridian to my ears.
As for DVD Audio discs, there are some good sounding ones on the DACs + Switchman. But Pet Sounds DVD-A disc is definitely not one of the "A List" sounding DVD-A discs here.

Did you have the 861 upgraded with Meridian's new DACS (861 v.8 upgrade)? They are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the original. I also upgraded Meridian's stock power cord with a top of the line Shunyata Research power cord and plug everything into a Shunyata Research Hydra conditioner (MAJOR upgrade, Mr. B).

And while I heartily agree with you, Brian, that Pet Sounds is FAR from one of my favorite DVD~As [MOST certainly NOT reference], considering the monaural pedigree of the source material it sounds a lot better than it should.

never can get all this buzz about Beach Boys. seems most discussed topic which even beat up all talks about Beatles :)

never can get all this buzz about Beach Boys. seems most discussed topic which even beat up all talks about Beatles :)

I think we all know by now we'll never get The Beatles albums in hi-res or surround.

The Beatles (or at least McCartney) considered the Beach Boys (Brian Wilson) their only rivals in terms of sheer innovation in the 1960s.

I'm disappointed to hear about the new 5-disc set coming out. I'm a fan of surround sound mixes, and I already have Pet Sounds on DVD-A but I would have upgraded to BD-A if it came out in the Pure Audio series. I'm actually a YUGE fan of the Pure Audio series. I wish it became the standard for all new 5.1 mixes.. instead of these huge boxed sets that Pink Floyd and King Crimson are releasing. I would upgrade my whole collection to BD-A and sell my old SACD/DVD-As if I could..

BD-A's are cheap and only contain what I want: the 5.1 mix. Too bad they're not putting more money into the format. :[

I listened to the DVD-A last night. IMO, there could be a very good surround mix done in the right hands. This one was just poorly done-I couldn't believe all the mixing mistakes I was hearing.

Mike Mettler must have a friend (or two) at Universal, cause he posted a picture on his Facebook tonight of the menu screen of the new "Pet Sounds" Blu-Ray:
13012701_10153652899658178_5138356834211007980_n.jpg

:)

Mike Mettler must have a friend (or two) at Universal, cause he posted a picture on his Facebook tonight of the menu screen of the new "Pet Sounds" Blu-Ray:
13012701_10153652899658178_5138356834211007980_n.jpg

:)

While I strongly echo others' ambivalence about this release based on apparent re-use of of the existing 5.1, I must say that's a wonderfully straightforward menu.

I wish The Beatles' 1+ (and many others) would also put all the info on one screen instead of having a maze of screens where it's easy to forget to choose the settings you want before hitting "play" and melting into your seat.

Now, here's hoping that even if they re-use the old 5.1 mix that they correct whatever authoring or other issues seemingly marred that release, not to mention that these new mixes are nicely balanced and faithful. If not, maybe I'll grab the old release when I find the right price and plunk down on the more complete Sessions box.

Having gone back to the beginning, re-reading the posts, I think we've lost sight of the most important part of the album. THE MUSIC. So much is being nit-picked about the mix, and its pros and cons, that we're all losing the whole point of the album, and that's the music on it. I, personally, have no problem with the DVD-A mix of "Pet Sounds". I also burned a QS-encoded CD for play in my car, and it sounds great in there. I do prefer stereo over mono for the added textures, but I'm happy to have a surround version of one of pop music's most iconic albums. Can't we all agree that it's all about the music?

Amazingly bad choices for bonus tracks. What happened to Hang On To Your Ego, and what does Summer Means New Love have to do with this album?

Back