Beach Boys - Pet Sounds on Blu Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, based on the link's information, here's what we know will be in the box set thus far:
-remastered original album in stereo and mono
-hires instrumental and 5.1 mixes
-session outtakes
-alternate mixes
-previously unreleased live recordings
-highres stereo and mono mixes

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself right now, but this looks like a title that can perfectly exploit the Blu-Ray disc format with the different mixes and session outtakes. If that's all in high-resolution, I think a lot of members will definitely get this set! :)

Ummm - especially GOS! I will be first in line.....yeah, yeah. I've bought so many versions of this it's embarrassing....but I don't care. I love the title and I've been waiting for a new 5.1....outtakes? That will be sweet as well. I wish they would do something similar with Smiley Smile...which I think is a phenomenal album as well. :)

Ummm - especially GOS! I will be first in line.....yeah, yeah. I've bought so many versions of this it's embarrassing....but I don't care. I love the title and I've been waiting for a new 5.1....outtakes? That will be sweet as well. I wish they would do something similar with Smiley Smile...which I think is a phenomenal album as well. :)

IMO I just don't think we are going to get a "good" version of this album..again...just my opinion...I've heard the DVD-A version...I bought the SHM-SACD and the AP SACD version and if they couldn't succeed it might be due to the source material...I'll keep trying...but I'm not optimistic..

IMO I just don't think we are going to get a "good" version of this album..again...just my opinion...I've heard the DVD-A version...I bought the SHM-SACD and the AP SACD version and if they couldn't succeed it might be due to the source material...I'll keep trying...but I'm not optimistic..

I know, it's unfortunate....an album that is just amazing on every level and they can't seem to get it right....and if it's source based...ugh.

It's certainly not an album that's designed for 5.1 surround given the limitations of the original source material. Heck it was never even really designed for stereo either.
But this release could still potentially pump some much needed blood into the veins of Universal's HFPA Blu-Ray release series, to the point where I hope the releases we really want ("The Seeds of Love", "Roxy Music", etc.) will quickly follow suit. :)

Check this out:
George Martin and Brian Wilson

At the end, Brian Wilson gets pretty excited about the fact that George Martin created "a better mix than I had on the master. You're making a better mix of this than I did on the master!" And all I can think is, THIS is why we love surround. Because we hear things as we never heard them before, and it gives them new life. WE get as excited as Brian did in this meeting with George.

So my point is: EXCITE US.

Check this out:

At the end, Brian Wilson gets pretty excited about the fact that George Martin created "a better mix than I had on the master. You're making a better mix of this than I did on the master!" And all I can think is, THIS is why we love surround. Because we hear things as we never heard them before, and it gives them new life. WE get as excited as Brian did in this meeting with George.

Oh man - that is so cool.... Thanks for posting that. Amazing!!!

Check this out:

Watching Brian watching George. Too much! No doubt about it...he was the 5th Beatle.

So I guess this precludes the release of a stand alone BD~A of Pet Sounds.

I really hope you're wrong, but...I remember when it didn't show when it was supposed to, and we had heard enough to know the blu ray was ready....I thought to myself "they've held this back and it'll be stuck in some sort of anniversary box set with a bunch of cds/booklets/marbles/scarves I don't want (just speaking for myself here) at a price I can't afford." This has been happening in reissued music a lot over the last few years as companies look to 'maximize profits', as it were. Hope that's not the case and we see a stand alone blu ray, but not holding my breath.

Pete Best, Eric Clapton, Brian Epstein... Will the REAL 5th Beatle please stand up!

Pete Best has got to be the most frustrated drummer of all time...he had the chance of a lifetime with the Beatles and was "dismissed" and never given a reason...it was speculated that because he was a loner and didn't hang out with the band that he became an outsider....he never had any success after that and gave up music

Check this out:

The question arises: Did the venerable Sir George Martin remix the entirety of Pet Sounds into 5.1 for the new BD~A release...or was he just fiddling around with a remix of "God Only Knows?"

Check this out:

Just watched this too! Brian seemed pretty excited

The question arises: Did the venerable Sir George Martin remix the entirety of Pet Sounds into 5.1 for the new BD~A release...or was he just fiddling around with a remix of "God Only Knows?"

Well it appears that he's just fiddling around with "God Only Knows". I would just hope that doing so might have sparked conversations that may have evolved into "Let's remix the whole thing in 5.1". Probably just wishful thinking, but I've done A LOT of that since joining this forum 13 years ago!

Pete Best has got to be the most frustrated drummer of all time...he had the chance of a lifetime with the Beatles and was "dismissed" and never given a reason...it was speculated that because he was a loner and didn't hang out with the band that he became an outsider....he never had any success after that and gave up music

:(

Did you even watch the video?
All they were really doing was just pushing up and down the faders and listening to the individual tracks to hear how the song was put together in the studio.
It's got nothing to do with surround at all, especially since this is a clip from a 1997 documentary, many years before the surround remix of "Pet Sounds" even happened. It's just like a clip from those Classic Albums documentaries, except it happens to have two of the greatest creative geniuses in pop music revisiting one of the greatest pop songs ever written and recorded. That was cool, thank doc! :)

Did you even watch the video?
All they were really doing was just pushing up and down the faders and listening to the individual tracks to hear how the song was put together in the studio.
It's got nothing to do with surround at all, especially since this is a clip from a 1997 documentary, many years before the surround remix of "Pet Sounds" even happened. It's just like a clip from those Classic Albums documentaries, except it happens to have two of the greatest creative geniuses in pop music revisiting one of the greatest pop songs ever written and recorded. That was cool, thank doc! :)

No, I did NOT watch the video and was unaware of its vintage.

Mark Linnet is Brian Wilsons engineer for 5.1 isn't he?

Same guy remixed Pet Sounds in 2.0

Back