BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The used ones I've seen are rather beat up. Digipaks don't preserve themselves or their contents.

I have the SHM SACD and a sealed hybrid. I think I sold my opened hybrid. The SHM SACD sounds excellent on the Sony 5400 I use.

Since you have the SHM SACD what do you need the hybrid for? If you need a redbook the currently available CD has the same redbook as the hybrid.

Recently I read that the 2002 hybrid and the SHM SACD sound different. If they sound exactly the same then I won't need the hybrid and will just focus on collecting the hybrids in which I don't already have the SHM SACDs.

I just got Selling England By The Pound today. Great sounding disc except my copy stops playing at the 4:39. It then resumes when I hit FF for a few seconds. I'll be contacting Amazon about a replacement copy.

Not sure if this was mentioned previously, but the new George Michael "Symphonica" is being released this week on HFPA (BD Audio) - its one of the last production jobs by the late, great Phil Ramone - recorded "live" at AIR Studios before a private audience. I was hoping for 5.1 seeing as it's new and live - but alas, reports over on SACD net indicate 2.0 only. Oh well - I'll probably go forward with the order if for no other reason to see if it's worth the investment in BDA 2.0 - but disappointed already.

Symphonica is definitely 2.0 only (plus the interface is still BDMV style, rather than the BD-J Neil had said it was rumoured Universal would be moving to).. sonically it's a bit of a mixed bag, it's not been noticeably compressed/maximised as it can stand a good cranking yet there's a leaden lumpiness to the bottom end on many tracks and there's no palpable top end air to anything.. there's a kind of congested quality to certain things.. which makes me suspect DR compression going on.. plus (horror of horrors) what sounds to me like a kind of upsampling distortion on GM's vocals on Trk.12 (Cowboys & Angels) or the vocal was really poorly captured? It's like sibilance but extreme and quite nasty.. can't be intentional. Musically.. Certain arrangements work better than others.. some have hardly any "Symphonica" about them at all.. his voice has noticeably aged, there's strain in places and he isn't going for many high or big notes.. also, as an album it's a bit long, though I suspect as a video it'd be a bit short. also it's a bit "safe" (bordering on the dull almost) and po-faced there's not a lot of fun going on.. (one funny bit is when he quips about a white guy singing Nina Simone! ha!) though to be fair this is GM solo we're talking rather than Wham! also the audience is faded up, in and out at various times which doesn't help create any atmosphere - is this a live recording? yes.. does it sound like one? not a lot.

I'll add, I got this BDA a week early thanks to the great generosity of Rob H. (formerly Dixie4 on here) who has struck up a good rapport with Olivier Robert-Murphy (HFPA head honcho).. ORM sent Rob a clutch of upcoming HFPA titles including Symphonica. Dixie Rob was so kind as to send me a copy of the HFPA of Symphonica.

It's a nice enough release - the most exciting part of which is that it's not some tired old rehash reissue of a legacy act, it's a brand new album of a "younger" poppier artist (I hesitate to say young/current as this patently isn't Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga we're talking about here..) even though there's not much pop to the presentation.

Some people may love the material and the sound (I found it a touch too grown-up and the heavy bass, lack of treble sparkle and weird applause fly-in's rob the whole thing of life.).

When GM sings the old Elton tune "Idol" the words "and I like the way his music sounded before" couldn't have been more apt, I was wishing for the fun upbeat George to burst out.. but ever since he got "Older" it's been a progressive slump into more and more adult, sedate material, a little more light and shade (the few more uptempo numbers are pleasant enough but too few & far between) in both the music itself and the sound and this would have been a more worthwhile release.

I'll add, I got this BDA a week early thanks to the great generosity of Rob H. (formerly Dixie4 on here) who has struck up a good rapport with Olivier Robert-Murphy (HFPA head honcho).. ORM sent Rob a clutch of upcoming HFPA titles including Symphonica. Dixie Rob was so kind as to send me a copy of the HFPA of Symphonica.

It's a nice enough release - the most exciting part of which is that it's not some tired old rehash reissue of a legacy act, it's a brand new album of a "younger" poppier artist (I hesitate to say young/current as this patently isn't Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga we're talking about here..) even though there's not much pop to the presentation.

Some people may love the material and the sound (I found it a touch too grown-up and the heavy bass, lack of treble sparkle and weird applause fly-in's rob the whole thing of life.).

When GM sings the old Elton tune "Idol" the words "and I like the way his music sounded before" couldn't have been more apt, I was wishing for the fun upbeat George to burst out.. but ever since he got "Older" it's been a progressive slump into more and more adult, sedate material, a little more light and shade (the few more uptempo numbers are pleasant enough but too few & far between) in both the music itself and the sound and this would have been a more worthwhile release.

Hey Fred, can you ask your friend to ask ORM what happened to Supertramp- Crime of the Century? The holy grails of HFPA- the Cat Stevens- tea for the Tillerman, The Nick Drake cancellation and now the absence of Supertramp.

Also ask him about any upcoming Stones. I'm waiting for my let it bleed to arrive. I hope the next stones is either Beggars Banquet or Some Girls.

Hi Bruce, pretty sure he has already asked a whole heap of questions including info on those releases but I don't think ORM's come back with any answers sadly. If/when I get any info I'll post here about it if I can (or even if allowed to).

How much are you considering paying for the sealed hybrid? By the way, you can also get this on SHM SACD. It's not hybrid though.

Found and bought a used copy of "Let It Bleed" hybrid with certificate on Amazon Saturday and it arrived today. Digi looks decent and disc is clean with exception of a few finger prints. Cost me around $15 USD which is less than Ebay. "Cupboy" I followed your earlier suggestion concerning Amazon.com and appreciate the advice.

Staying on topic, I also pre ordered "Made In Japan" blu-ray. I've now lost count how many HFPA I now have and some I like better than others. I'm curious if the Stones blu-rays released before "Let It Bleed" are worth picking up? If "Exile" is a improvement compared to the 2CD deluxe edition then I might have to order it at some point.

Hi Bruce, pretty sure he has already asked a whole heap of questions including info on those releases but I don't think ORM's come back with any answers sadly. If/when I get any info I'll post here about it if I can (or even if allowed to).

Since you have a inside connection, do you know what tracks are on the sampler disc that was mentioned and offered on Superdeluxeedition.com? I was hoping to score a copy since I've bought so many of the HFPA releases. Seriously, I knew there was less than 2% chance of that happening but still curious what's on the disc and what may eventually be released??

AFAIK, there are two HFPA samplers. the one SDE gave away in the compo is more than half Classical selection and a few rock/pop/jazz. the tracks that have yet to show up on an HFPA release are Guns 'n' Roses "Welcome To The Jungle", Dire Straits "Money For Nothing", Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil" and Jimmy Smith's "The Cat", the rest have appeared already. it's a 2.0 only release, no 5.1.

http://ronkane.com/high-fidelity-pure-audio/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 160
my Let It Bleed arrived. sounds great . have not played it vs the 2002 sacd but will this weekend. my guess is that it will be beggars banquet as the next Stones blu-ray - because sympathy for the devil was on the sampler.

Awesome Jasong, my copy is on the way and can't wait to listen and compare with 2002 hybrid and SHM-SACD versions. Do you have any of the other Stones blu-rays and if so, which should I consider getting? Thanks for the tip concerning Beggars.

AFAIK, there are two HFPA samplers. the one SDE gave away in the compo is more than half Classical selection and a few rock/pop/jazz. the tracks that have yet to show up on an HFPA release are Guns 'n' Roses "Welcome To The Jungle", Dire Straits "Money For Nothing", Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil" and Jimmy Smith's "The Cat", the rest have appeared already. it's a 2.0 only release, no 5.1.

http://ronkane.com/high-fidelity-pure-audio/

Thanks for responding to my post and including the link and scan. Hopefully the GNR won't eventually be canceled.

Back