Bob Dylan Live - Bootleg Series Vol 6 - Audio Fidelity 5.0 Multichannel SACD (March 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were several Sony 5.1 SACDs that sat on their release schedule toward the end of their SACD program that never came out (bmoura could probably definitively say if there were more, because he used to run a website that listed them) but from my memory they included the following:

Byrds - Fifth Dimension
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather
Sly & The Family Stone - Live At The Fillmore (when it was still going to be a single disc release)
Herbie Hancock - Future Shock

Maybe not quite as exciting as the abandoned Warner 5.1 DVD-A's but still definitely worthy of release nonetheless.

There were several Sony 5.1 SACDs that sat on their release schedule toward the end of their SACD program that never came out (bmoura could probably definitively say if there were more, because he used to run a website that listed them) but from my memory they included the following:

Byrds - Fifth Dimension
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather
Sly & The Family Stone - Live At The Fillmore (when it was still going to be a single disc release)
Herbie Hancock - Future Shock

Maybe not quite as exciting as the abandoned Warner 5.1 DVD-A's but still definitely worthy of release nonetheless.

The Herbie Hancock one actually hurts.. that could have been a biggy.. 5D iirc someone who heard it said it wasn't the best mix, hamstrung by limited number of multi's or something (can't remember who/where/when off top of my head I'll see if I can find a link).. thanks to its creator we've now got to hear one of the SRV 5.1 tracks (not being unkind but I no longer feel quite as compelled as I once did to hear the rest of it, though if it were to come out in Surround I would still get it for hopeful sonic upgrade)... couple of these canned Sony SACDs that I'm still very much craving, apart from the EPIC (pun intended) disappointments of Boston's 1st album and MJ's Thriller.. (sounding like one of my stuck records here..) was Wild Cherry's "Electrified Funk" (presumed the Quad mix?) and Ramsey Lewis' "Sun Goddess" (I'm guessing a "new" 5.1.. may have been an unreleased Quad that was never even a blip on the radar back in the 70's IDK.?).. who knows.. if anyone can do it AF can do it :upthumb

.....For a concert they have the chance to use the surrounds to help sell the energy of the show. Yes, ambiance, but also crowd energy, a sense of how big the space is and all that.

Exactly! EB says it better than me!

I'm in, for sure.

Somehow Bootleg Series Vol 6 slipped through my radar; I never purchased it as a 2ch CD.

So this will be a must have for me.

More, please.

Last edited:
Do you think there is still time left to talk AF into putting the entire SACD content onto a single SACD, and the redbook material spread across 2 disks, like what Analogue Productions has been doing (Belafonte Carnegie Hall, PPM In Concert, for example).

Since the Belafonte with multichannel mix, and stereo mix fits on a single SACD this Bob Dylan one should fit too.

A bit of an odd choice for a surround release but it's Bob so count me in!

found this posted on FB earlier today:
BDsacd.jpg
please delete if inappropriate...

View attachment 24826
please delete if inappropriate...

Nice find...and that's probably a mock up...I hope AF doesn't start down the road of including "booklets"...I don't need or want a 56 page booklet...I'm probably in the minority in this aspect...but that could start down the road to "box sets"...I like the fact that the previous releases were just the music discs...I don't want the expansion to continue...keep it simple..

Nice find...and that's probably a mock up...I hope AF doesn't start down the road of including "booklets"...I don't need or want a 56 page booklet...I'm probably in the minority in this aspect...but that could start down the road to "box sets"...I like the fact that the previous releases were just the music discs...I don't want the expansion to continue...keep it simple..

I agree, but I do like if they include a 4-5 page "pamphlet" sized addition. I always welcome that... :)

The reason for the 56-page booklet is that's what came with the original 2-CD release back in 2004. The original package consisted of a 2-CD jewel case and the 56-page booklet inside of an outer slipcase, so it looks like Audio Fidelity might be doing the exact same thing except reworking the design into their style. :)

The reason for the 56-page booklet is that's what came with the original 2-CD release back in 2004. The original package consisted of a 2-CD jewel case and the 56-page booklet inside of an outer slipcase, so it looks like Audio Fidelity might be doing the exact same thing except reworking the design into their style. :)

Ok...I'm fine with that:)

Exactly. It will likely be the same booklet with the remastering and Audio Fidelity credits added.

Here's the write-up from today's announcement of the 2-SACD Set with Bob Dylan and Joan Baez....
Coming Soon!
5.0 Multichannel Hybrid SACD

Street Date: March 18, 2016

Bob Dylan
The Bootleg Series Vol. 6:
Bob Dylan Live 1964, Concert At Philharmonic Hall

Hybrid SACD 5.0 Multichannel
AFZ5 230 SRP $59.99

This 1964 concert is the first all acoustic live performance to enter Bob Dylan’s discography. Whether you are listening in the car or at home the sound quality is magnificent. This is the first time this concert has ever been heard in 5.0 surround sound. The 2-SACD Audio Fidelity collection presents the entire concert from the original Columbia Records master tapes and also includes a 56-page book that documents the historic show from Halloween night, 1964 in words and 36 photographs.

Here is Dylan as an eager-to-please 23 year old and while much has been made of the later electric performance of the 1960s, it is here that you can see how good Dylan really was with just a guitar and a harmonica. His voice is in top form throughout the 19 song set and Dylan shows all the budding facets of his art up to this time, from the protest songs, the more introspective material and the radical new direction he was pursuing. Joking and bantering with the crowd, he proves to be a very masterful solo performer and when Joan Baez joins him on stage the voltage only increases.

This performance certainly has its share of firsts and highlights, including the only known live version of "Spanish Harlem Incident," the premiere of the songs "Gates of Eden" and "If You Gotta Go, Go Now." This truly is a one of a kind collection. Other favorites include “The Times They Are A-Changin’”, “Mr. Tambourine Man” and “All I Really Want To Do“ to name a few.

Enjoy The Music...

Marshall Blonstein
Audio Fidelity

I never thought people would be going so nutz over synthesized surround! If it's from 1964, its .... what, 3-track? 4-track at best?
I'm all for Bob Dylan in surround but this too strikes me as a very odd choice for a surround mix.

And am I the ONLY one who's excited that the great Joan Baez will be duetting with Dylan on three tracks and soloing on one (Silver Daggers)?

Joan was a GREAT Dylan interpreter back in the day and this inclusion will be most welcomed, at least by me.

An awesome set. Thank you, as always Marshall Blonstein & Company.

Back