HiRez Poll Chicago - QUADIO [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Chicago - QUADIO

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
Never been a fan of Chicago was more of a greatest hits type with them but did decide to purchase the 10 CDs because of the great price and figured I would like at least the greatest hits CD. All I can say is wow I really missed some amazing music all these years.. Chicago 1 and 2 are truly amazing and play them over and over again my favorite is number 2.. I do like the greatest hits as well and cannot wait until I hear the rest.. I gave it a ten, vocals and music are fantastic and the separation across the speakers is spread quite nicely... I do hope we see more packages like this.

Elad I agree with everything you said. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I listened to alot of Rod Stewart and Faces early material, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Sprinsteen music. I owned Chicago TA liked it enough but not enough to continue to explore their music. Eventually I viewed Chicago as kind of poppy elevator type music and I think I even made fun of the band's sound on occasion. Listening to this Quad package starting at the first and slowly working through it has been an eye opening experience. I now realized, like many others, that we missed some great music growing up.

Pro Tools 10
Not sure about 10 (last version with the 32-bit Digidesign Audio Engine, rather than the new 64-bit Avid Audio Engine), but I believe 11 and 12 have a downmix utility built-in that should handle all of the level balancing when collapsing from more output channels to fewer. If not, there are third-party plugins/utilities that will accomplish this.

I received my Chicago box this week from Movie Mars and just started listening to it. I'll report back after I have spent some time with it. I did notice my player has problems with the menus. The first thing I wanted to check was if mine had the mono mistake on Chicago II and it took me a few tries to switch the 4.0 to stereo.

Unfortunately my copy does have side 2 in mono. Any update on replacement discs? Rhino's website had nothing (that I could find).

Ya gotta email Dr Rhino about the replacement - the email should be on the site

Best to inquire and give your address and info so it is on file when the replacements come out.

[email protected] email link on bottom of page

I'm very glad I bought this. I gave it an 8 because the earliest album has a funky mix where the horns are isolated in the rear left channel. It totally kills the whole point of Chicago to not have two channels to create a stereo phase. The other albums are much better mixes. I also can't bring myself to give any Quad mix a 10, because that center channel is vital to keep the vocals present. Every quad mix I've got has vocals that sound a little distant.

I'm very glad I bought this. I gave it an 8 because the earliest album has a funky mix where the horns are isolated in the rear left channel. It totally kills the whole point of Chicago to not have two channels to create a stereo phase. The other albums are much better mixes. I also can't bring myself to give any Quad mix a 10, because that center channel is vital to keep the vocals present. Every quad mix I've got has vocals that sound a little distant.

Yes, this quad mix basically extracts elements of the stereo left and right channels and places them in the left and right rears. For example, the stereo mix of Introduction has the horns totally in the left front while the quad mix puts them totally in the left rear. Ditto for Questions 67 and 68. However, Beginnings has the horns spread across the stereo fronts, so the quad mix has a bit of horns in both the fronts and right rear thereby resulting in a more satisfying mix. In my opinion, better mixes would have resulted by spreading the horns among multiple channels in both the stereo and quad versions given that Chicago has a three-piece horn section. Regardless, it is still my all-time favorite Chicago album and the Blu-ray quad is the cleanest, most dynamic version I've ever heard.

So you could never give any quad mix a 10?...that's interesting...at least now others looking at this poll for information on a potential purchase recognize your stance on quad recordings..

How is only the center channel vital to the vocals? A great vocal mix in a stereo-like fashion can be just as effective as a separate center IMO, even on a quad mix.

Back