Coldplay "A Head Full of Dreams" (5.1 Surround Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be right that it's more popular than expected. Import CDs and Deep Discount both show this on backorder now. (Import CDs did have it in stock earlier this week; they just mailed mine out the other day.) Bull Moose says they have it in stock at most of their stores but for some reason they say it's available in store only.

maybe (at last!) the message will get through to a major label with a major artist putting out a surround only release..

people want multichannel music

:wave

Blimey, that is steep - I ordered it for £15.78 from amazon

They're quoting £29 now at Amazon UK.. and saying they will have it back in stock in 1 to 3 weeks (I didn't think they'd had it in stock at all yet but still..? ;) )

its up to you of course Duncan but if I were you I'd just get it direct from the band's merch site for £20 (+ approx £3 postage) while they've still got some.. there may be demand, it may be selling out but that's no sure fire guarantee anymore copies will get pressed..

Wow. It looks like maybe the demand is high and the supply not so much and the price is rising because of it. It might be interesting to watch what happens. I guess it all depends on how many disks they actually pressed. I doubt they will hesitate to re-press a title like this if the demand warrants it.

I'm also glad I ordered when I did. I probably never would have bit on it for $30 unless I knew I was gonna like it.... which I don't (know that is).

So it looks like there will already be a second pressing as the US demand was larger than expected sucking up the ROW demand
Or am I being toooo optimistic?

So it looks like there will already be a second pressing as the US demand was larger than expected sucking up the ROW demand
Or am I being toooo optimistic?

I think you're being too optimistic right now.
When it comes to surround sound releases, nothing is ever certain until it's in our hands.

Regarding the benefit to the surround community as a whole though... the best scenario is what?
This is a smash hit, it sells wildly, and wins a grammy? :cool:

Or... more likely... none of that matters at all and it all gets reduced to the bottom line of a balance sheet that spells out much money it made. :smokin

Or... of course both could happen :bounce17

The thing is that winning a grammy for surround has done NOTHING for future surround releases. We've seen that proof since the dawn of the reward. They may as well give an award for best glue strip on a CD package.

PS - My BluRay arrived today from ImportCD!

Jon's right. It all comes down to one thing: SALES!

(Now of course, sometimes artistic desires and wishes can sometimes make sales a non-issue, but that's rarely the case with major label endeavors.)

So I got this a few days ago... Amazon prime US ordered as soon as the link was posted. 19.99 final cost. It's ok. I'm glad I bought it but it's certainly not a demo disc like the Depeche Mode, Elton, or Flaming Lips releases.

Got mine yesterday and listening to it right now, only a few songs in. And yup, it's very well done. Good sound quality and discrete - if sometimes reserved - surround mix, and will definitely give your sub a good workout. Musically... not for me... but I knew that going in and that's really not what the purchase was about for me. Even then, I'm certainly getting some enjoyment out of this at the moment. Maybe the creation of this disc was more for grammy vanity than artistic integrity, but from what I'm listening to, it sounds to me like those immediately involved cared about what they were doing, and that makes me happy :)

I can say with confidence that if you're a fan, then you should be very pleased with this disc. If you're not a fan, but love listening to surround music, you will still most likely get some enjoyment out of this.

Either way, I gotta agree with what Ryan and a few others have said on this one: I think this is an important release and if you can spare the dough, you should seriously consider a purchase, and shows those in charge that there's a considerable demand for modern surround music.

Gave this one a listen last night. There's really no reason not to buy this (unless you can't stand Coldplay.) The mix is quite good, not a 10 but certainly no worse than an 8. And I completely agree with everything in RT's blog post. It's a major/current artist and a major label doing an affordable hi-res surround release. Vote with your wallet and grab this! (Assuming you can find a copy now.)

There is certainly some limiting and brickwalling at play here, but compared to the absolutely awful 24/192 stereo mastering it's a revelation. The surround mix is really good, the "some limiting" I'm referring to takes this to a DR10 from what would probably have been a DR12-DR14 without it so the reality is this is more dynamic than any Coldplay studio album to date including their debut, 1999's Parachutes.

Here's the DR log for the dts core:

foobar2000 1.3.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2016-10-06 22:19:11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Coldplay / A Head Full of Dreams Surround
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR9 -0.57 dB -13.27 dB 3:43 01-A Head Full Of Dreams
DR9 -0.65 dB -12.67 dB 3:49 02-Birds
DR9 -0.57 dB -13.27 dB 4:19 03-Hymn For The Weekend
DR10 -0.70 dB -12.75 dB 4:43 04-Everglow
DR10 -0.68 dB -11.55 dB 4:23 05-Adventure Of A Lifetime
DR10 -0.63 dB -13.76 dB 4:28 06-Fun
DR11 -3.53 dB -21.24 dB 1:51 07-Kaleidoscope
DR9 -0.55 dB -12.12 dB 6:17 08-Army Of One
DR8 -1.18 dB -11.30 dB 4:31 09-Amazing Day
DR9 -2.99 dB -22.52 dB 1:00 10-Colour Spectrum
DR10 -1.11 dB -15.34 dB 6:45 11-Up & Up

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 6912 kbps
Codec: PCM

Here's a look at the front left and rights of track 1 compared to the stereo version, clipping turned off (it's VERY red throughout with it on)

Head_Full.jpg

Amazon UK got in touch again with another update..

paraphrasing but they said expect another delay of like a week or two I think it was
(I still think they will stall and stall and then cancel on us..!)

meantime, Coldplay store came thru with my order and here is the onscreen menu for anyone here who doesn't have the BD-A already and is curious (as I was) to see how the front end looks (please excuse fuzziness etc., just a quick snap taken on my iPad of projected screen image on the wall that's a bit out of focus :eek: )

Back