Coldplay "A Head Full of Dreams" (5.1 Surround Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that does not make complete sense to me are the audio options for this Blu-Ray Audio release, which are as follows (from the web store):

Audio specs:
5.1 24 BIT 96 KHZ DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO
5.1 16 BIT 48KHZ DOLBY DIGITAL AUDIO
2.0 24 BIT 192 KHZ PCM STEREO

The fact that the Dolby option is not high-res is puzzling just because Dolby TrueHD has a mandatory specification that a core audio stream be included within the TrueHD information, but alas, it's really not that big of a deal at all.
There is high-res surround audio on here with the inclusion of a 24 bit/96 kHz DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 stream, and that's what I'll be playing when this release comes around in a few weeks' time! :)

The only thing that does not make complete sense to me are the audio options for this Blu-Ray Audio release, which are as follows (from the web store):

Audio specs:
5.1 24 BIT 96 KHZ DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO
5.1 16 BIT 48KHZ DOLBY DIGITAL AUDIO
2.0 24 BIT 192 KHZ PCM STEREO

The fact that the Dolby option is not high-res is puzzling just because Dolby TrueHD has a mandatory specification that a core audio stream be included within the TrueHD information, but alas, it's really not that big of a deal at all.
There is high-res surround audio on here with the inclusion of a 24 bit/96 kHz DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 stream, and that's what I'll be playing when this release comes around in a few weeks' time! :)

Well obviously I do care about all that tecchy stuff Ryan.. but as important to me is going to be the mastering and quality of the surround sound mix.. not long to go now, just 2 week before it hits the streets.. and its a standalone too, after all.. crikey!

3 things do I pray:
1.) Its a good mastering (not brickwalled, nor dynamically compressed),
2.) It's a great surround mix (not ambient but discrete, active and immersive),
3.) It paves the way for more standalone 5.1 Blu-rays of current artists (and old Quad reissues alike if the labels think they have a shot) at a similarly real world price point.

:worthy :worthy :worthy

Well obviously I do care about all that tecchy stuff Ryan.. but as important to me is going to be the mastering and quality of the surround sound mix.. not long to go now, just 2 week before it hits the streets.. and its a standalone too, after all.. crikey!

3 things do I pray:
1.) Its a good mastering (not brickwalled, nor dynamically compressed),
2.) It's a great surround mix (not ambient but discrete, active and immersive),
3.) It paves the way for more standalone 5.1 Blu-rays of current artists (and old Quad reissues alike if the labels think they have a shot) at a similarly real world price point.

:worthy :worthy :worthy

Oh, of course! All that you mention is definitely more important than what I was blathering on about, so pay no attention to me! I was just being extra particular, as usual… ;)

I posted the mixing engineers, do they have a pedigree in surround? The production should be top notch at least, shouldn't it?

I posted the mixing engineers, do they have a pedigree in surround? The production should be top notch at least, shouldn't it?

Never heard of them personally (but that's indicative of nothing other than I've never heard of them doing surround music mixes before this one! :eek: )

The main guy credited with doing the remixing is Coldplay's Producer isn't he?

Never heard of them personally (but that's indicative of nothing other than I've never heard of them doing surround music mixes before this one! :eek: )

The main guy credited with doing the remixing is Coldplay's Producer isn't he?
Wikpedia entry says he is and is multi Grammy award winner.

Oh, of course! All that you mention is definitely more important than what I was blathering on about, so pay no attention to me! I was just being extra particular, as usual… ;)

HA! :D I wasn't saying that at all, you cheeky rascal..! :yikes ;)

of course its all important.. and the Dolby Digital thing is a bit weird, as you say Dolby True spec has the core lossy Dolby mandatory.. maybe whoever's authoring it made a decision to go with Dolby Digital to cover their asses since everything can play that no questions asked?

I'm guessing most of us here will go straight to the DTS HD MA 5.1, regardless of other options available on the disc... but then I'd hope it auto plays that way, like all good Blu-ray Audio surround discs should.. :eek:

Back