Does anyone still offer a multi-channel SACD player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had both versions of the Sony 800, the original was a little buggy and would often require a power cycle to unfreeze it, the v2 has no such issues and seems faster overall. No issues with BDs or UHDs either.

It plays all of my SACDs and DVD-As, none of which are pluralized by apostrophes.
šŸ˜€
Same here, the original version I had needed periodic resets to ā€œunlockā€ it.
Unfortunately the M2 added Dolby Atmos (which I donā€™t use) and deleted Gracenote access (which I did use) and another feature that I canā€™t recall.
Having said that, the M2 has been much more stable. Who knows, maybe the Gracenote caused the bugginess.

Why pay a fortune for 2nd hand when you can get a brand new Sony for a lot less that plays sacdā€™s and dvd audioā€™s? Have you seen the price of 2nd hand Oppoā€™s, personally I would have to win the lottery to buy one

Because the Oppo players are far superior to any other universal players currently offered, except for possibly Reavon. They are expensive for a reason. It's like asking why you should pay $300k for a used Ferrari when you can buy a new Honda for a tenth as much.

Because the Oppo players are far superior to any other universal players currently offered, except for possibly Reavon. They are expensive for a reason. It's like asking why you should pay $300k for a used Ferrari when you can buy a new Honda for a tenth as much.
Iā€™m a pensioner on a paltry pension, if I got a superduper fantastic player like an oppo I guess I would have to upgrade every other part of my set up to match it, that would be financial suicide, iā€™ll stick to my sony with the 6 year guarantee I got with it.
Thereā€™s no guarantee with a 2nd hand oppo, you could spend a fortune and 3 months down the line it pops its clogs

Iā€™m a pensioner on a paltry pension, if I got a superduper fantastic player like an oppo I guess I would have to upgrade every other part of my set up to match it, that would be financial suicide, iā€™ll stick to my sony with the 6 year guarantee I got with it.
Thereā€™s no guarantee with a 2nd hand oppo, you could spend a fortune and 3 months down the line it pops its clogs

Well, you asked "why" and I answered. It wasn't a recommendation for everyone, just an option.

The Sony UBP-X800M2 has been a fine replacement for my Oppo BDP-83SE, which doesn't play 4K discs and has been glitchy for me. The Sony plays virtually every type of disc I have thrown at it, with the exception of DVD-A burned to DVD+R discs. So I keep the Oppo in my system for those, and to play regular CDs using the analog outs (because I believe it has a better DAC than the Sony).

The Sony UBP-X800M2 has been a fine replacement for my Oppo BDP-83SE, which doesn't play 4K discs and has been glitchy for me. The Sony plays virtually every type of disc I have thrown at it, with the exception of DVD-A burned to DVD+R discs. So I keep the Oppo in my system for those, and to play regular CDs using the analog outs (because I believe it has a better DAC than the Sony).
I have a Oppo 105D and a Sony UBP-X800M2 in my main system, and via HDMI they sound the same.

I have a Oppo 105D and a Sony UBP-X800M2 in my main system, and via HDMI they sound the same.

I own an Oppo, but seldom play discs anymore. I think a lot of the perceived superiority of an Oppo disappears if you don't need the internal DACs and the analog outputs. If you are using HDMI exclusively, the Oppo becomes nothing more than a transport and pretty much on par with those X800 Sony's.

The 103s and 105s do offer more value if you need to rip SACDs , but again there are other inexpensive models that can do that as well.

I own an Oppo, but seldom play discs anymore. I think a lot of the perceived superiority of an Oppo disappears if you don't need the internal DACs and the analog outputs. If you are using HDMI exclusively, the Oppo becomes nothing more than a transport and pretty much on par with those X800 Sony's.

The 103s and 105s do offer more value if you need to rip SACDs , but again there are other inexpensive models that can do that as well.
Agree 100%.

Thank you. LuvMySonys
Cheers

Yes, I have an Oppo 105 and a Sony x800m2. The Oppo plays PAL DVDs, rips SACDs, and plays quad mixes that the Sony won't. But I use the Sony for just about everything else, including playing multichannel files off of a network server.

Has anyone here bought the Reavon players? I gave up, as they continued to not have the X-200 in stock with the DVD-A board installed. I ended up getting the Sony UBP-X800-M2 and have been delighted with the overall quality of this player. Would be most curious of an A/B test between these two players for sound quality of Blu-ray / DVD-A / SACD stereo and multichannel along with Atmos. Meanwhile I saved a lot of coin.

One reason to buy a SACD player that supports ripping discs to files.
That's the only reason I still use an SACD player. It's a Pioneer, I think. It sits in storage most days.

(So does an ancient, early model Oppo which I'll probably just toss if I can't find an ebay buyer).

I think a lot of the perceived superiority of an Oppo disappears if you don't need the internal DACs and the analog outputs. If you are using HDMI exclusively, the Oppo becomes nothing more than a transport and pretty much on par with those X800 Sony's.
Bingo, that's right on point.
The only Oppo I can speak of definitely is the 205 which Amir measured back in 6-2018. It offered SOTA DAC performance and if used from it's analog outputs will offer SOTA sound quality.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/If used from it's HDMI out's, sound quality will depend on the receiving components DAC's and signal handling. In that case it will sound the same as any other.

One reason to buy a SACD player that supports ripping discs to files. (Disc failure is another)
I got my Sony BDP-S5100 off ebay for $40 shipped.

BTW, The Reavon is a unknown product, never AFAIK having it's DAC implimentation measured. Also it only offers 5.1 analog outs meaning anyone running a 7.1 or better system is out of luck in that usage. Not really something for one of todays high end home theaters. :(

Last edited:
Back