Does anyone still offer a multi-channel SACD player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Sony refuses to play all burned DVD-As that's a non started for me, I have hundreds of DVD-As from Oxford Dickie's matrix decodes and Captain Beyond's Q4 and Q8 transfers.
It played all but one DVDA for me. It very well could be the disc. I had zero issues with any retail discs/formats. I have a fairly large collection and I don't listen to surround very often, so it might take me a few years to put together a formal compatibility list. :cool: I spent a month's worth of surround time last night piling through as many disc types and formats that I could so I knew what I still needed the Oppo for. I could probably live without the Oppo if I'm being honest, but since I have it mind as well just keep it.

I only tested a few, I know one of them was a boot of DSotM quad/parsons quad. I've had that disc for a long time, like decade+. It could also just be degraded although it plays in the Oppo and PC.
Why not just burn it again and try it out?

Why not just burn it again and try it out?
I might, it has a nice printed sticker on the disc which I don't have the ability to do anymore (the image/template or the disc stickers). As good as the quad is, the 5.1 mix is fine for my casual listening needs. I'll be listening to Animals more than DSotM now that there's a great 5.1 available.

I had the 800 M2 here for a while and it played everything I put in it. For the money I thought it was an amazing player with tank like build quality, smooth-quiet tray operation and such, I was impressed. I offed it since I really didn't have a need for it at the time. I should maybe get another while they're still available as a backup in case my current lineup craps the bed.

I had the 800 M2 here for a while and it played everything I put in it. For the money I thought it was an amazing player with tank like build quality, smooth-quiet tray operation and such, I was impressed. I offed it since I really didn't have a need for it at the time. I should maybe get another while they're still available as a backup in case my current lineup craps the bed.
I bought my 800 M2 mainly for watching 4K movies with Atmos, even if my PJ only are 1080P, as many movies only are released with Atmos on the 4K releases. The 800 M2 also serves as backup for my aging Oppo 105D. :cool:

I bought my 800 M2 mainly for watching 4K movies with Atmos, even if my PJ only are 1080P, as many movies only are released with Atmos on the 4K releases. The 800 M2 also serves as backup for my aging Oppo 105D. :cool:
Three of my favourite movies (13 hours, and both Sicario’s) are in atmos although normal blu rays, in fact I actually have more 4k blu rays without atmos than with atmos!

Three of my favourite movies (13 hours, and both Sicario’s) are in atmos although normal blu rays, in fact I actually have more 4k blu rays without atmos than with atmos!
I know many films on BluRay have Atmos, I have several. But it's hard to find information on Norwegian online shops about this, so to be sure I just buy everything on 4K. :cool:

My Oppo 203 drive failed. I still use it as a multichannel network player.
I dread the day when my 105 dies. But it keeps chugging along. It’s probably my main source element, either physical media, thumb drive, or NAS. I hope their repair department stays in business. 🤞

I found that some players won’t play burned DVD-Rs, so whenever I send discs to friends, they are DVD+Rs. Actually, I don’t buy the -R blanks any more.

I found that some players won’t play burned DVD-Rs, so whenever I send discs to friends, they are DVD+Rs. Actually, I don’t buy the -R blanks any more.
I ran through a few more DVDA's today, and of the handful that didn't play on the 800M2, ALL of them were -R dvds. I verified they played fine on my older Oppo. What's strange though, is I have a few -R that do play in the 800M2. :unsure:

I ran through a few more DVDA's today, and of the handful that didn't play on the 800M2, ALL of them were -R dvds. I verified they played fine on my older Oppo. What's strange though, is I have a few -R that do play in the 800M2. :unsure:
I was pretty confused by reports of my DVDs not playing, when I had zero issues with my OPPO. I did a bit of experimentation, and the +R discs worked. Admittedly a small sample test, but I’m confident that I splved the problem in both instances. Of course, there’s no end of reasons a disc that plays on everything in yoir house could have problems in their house. 🤬

I have hundreds of DVD-Rs, they're the main disc type I use.

It just boggles my mind to think some people who have already have files use them to make discs so they can play them. I only buy discs so I can use them to make files so I can play them. Sure, I could actually put the discs in a drive, but that seems like so much trouble.

It just boggles my mind to think some people who have already have files use them to make discs so they can play them. I only buy discs so I can use them to make files so I can play them. Sure, I could actually put the discs in a drive, but that seems like so much trouble.
My Oppo 95 is the only means I have of playing multi channel music, my AVR has no HDMI audio input. And while the 95 will play multi channel FLACs it isn't gapless on the 95 so files would have to be of an entire album. So frankly it's far easier just to burn to disc and play it.

My Oppo 95 is the only means I have of playing multi channel music, my AVR has no HDMI audio input. And while the 95 will play multi channel FLACs it isn't gapless on the 95 so files would have to be of an entire album. So frankly it's far easier just to burn to disc and play it.
I guess I've learned to live with gaps. They're only about half a second. I only notice when one song flows into the next.

I guess I've learned to live with gaps. They're only about half a second. I only notice when one song flows into the next.
That happens with a surprisingly large amount of music. Floyd albums, anything live, quad decodes of vinyl where the track boundaries aren't the right place etc. I can't tolerate it, I've tried.

My Oppo 95 is the only means I have of playing multi channel music, my AVR has no HDMI audio input. And while the 95 will play multi channel FLACs it isn't gapless on the 95 so files would have to be of an entire album.
I know this is an obvious answer but definitely looks to be time to purchase more modern gear. Your letting father time push you out of the running.

I know this is an obvious answer but definitely looks to be time to purchase more modern gear. Your letting father time push you out of the running.
OK so what modern AVR has proper Pro Logic II Movie and Music decoding? I can live without Dolby Surround and Pro Logic but I must have proper DPL II with Movie and Music modes. I also require a line level (ie not subject to volume control) analogue or digital stereo output to feed into the transmitter for my DynAudio Xeo3 wireless speakers in the kitchen and study. The line level output has been hard to find for over a decade. Correct DPL II decoding is probably impossible. I know it leaves me relying on legacy gear, but why should I downgrade to something that doesn't fit my requirements?
Ironically I don't need multi channel analogue inputs. I'm assuming anything good enough musically to abandon my Oppo 95's multi channel outputs will have HDMI multi channel inputs.
And finally I require the AVR to be modest in physical size. Most are now enormous and I cannot accommodate the height of most modern AVRs, and I cannot make more space available. My Arcam AVR350 is 145mm tall and I can accommodate maybe another 5mm.
Oh yes, no fans. I hate hearing fans running while I'm listening to music. The Oppo 95 is a culprit here but I quietened it down with acoustic baffles and a resistor in series with the fan power lead.

Oh yes, no fans. I hate hearing fans running while I'm listening to music. The Oppo 95 is a culprit here but I quietened it down with acoustic baffles and a resistor in series with the fan power lead.
Anything else ??? LOL
Sorry, off-hand I have no idea for an answer to your complicated needs. Good luck.

Anything else ??? LOL
Sorry, off-hand I have no idea for an answer to your complicated needs. Good luck.
20 years ago at least half the AVRs on the market would have met that list of requirements. And of those that didn't most of the failures would have been too tall but otherwise met them. They're not complicated needs. They're audio derived needs and AVR manufacturers today are only interested in making amps that go with video players and games consoles.

Back