Does anyone still offer a multi-channel SACD player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Also it only offers 5.1 analog outs meaning anyone running a 7.1 or better system is out of luck in that usage. Not really something for one of todays high end home theaters. :(
Even though I think all the Reavon's are hugely over-priced for what they offer and don't recommend them at all, I 'sadly' have to correct you: -
Screenshot-2021-02-27-at-18-02-48.png

I stand corrected!
A senior moment.
I should have said greater than 7.1. ;)
No one has ever offered more than 7.1 analog outputs on a player either @Sal1950. Any "modern" consumer home theater whether 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos/DTS-X Immersive Audio, outputs the source audio bitstream to the AVR or Pre-Processor via HDMI. Multi-channel analog outputs on a silver disc player are a legacy feature and rarely used these days. For approaching two decades only pro audio companies have offered multi-channel analog preamp/controllers.

Last edited:
Any "modern" consumer home theater whether 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos/DTS-X Immersive Audio, outputs the source audio bitstream to the AVR or Pre-Processor via HDMI.
Not for owners of Oppo 205 players wishing to get the best possible sound using it's excellent DAC. Did you read the review at ASR of the 205 I posted?

So I was very surprised when my Oppo 205 didn't sound as good as my Pioneer LX500 via HDMI.
Something is amiss.

Not for owners of Oppo 205 players wishing to get the best possible sound using it's excellent DAC. Did you read the review at ASR of the 205 I posted?
I'm still using my Oppo 95 with multi channel analogue outputs. And I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 205 when they first came out, I could do with the digital inputs.

Why pay a fortune for 2nd hand when you can get a brand new Sony for a lot less that plays sacd’s and dvd audio’s? Have you seen the price of 2nd hand Oppo’s, personally I would have to win the lottery to buy one
I bought my parents a used Oppo 93 a year ago for £200. It looks brand new, all packaging and accessories present. And it has 7.1 multi channel analogue outputs. I agree if you want a used Oppo 205 they cost a small fortune, but there are other models that fit your stated requirement and are a lot cheaper. If you want the Sabre DACs then a 95 may be found at more reasonable prices than the 205. And there's always the 103/105 if you want the digital inputs.

Last edited:

Something is amiss.
The Oppo 205 sounds sensational via the 7.1 outputs with L and R configured via the main DAC and the rest via the other DAC.

What could be amiss? Not a bad cable - I tested for that.

or, just the usual effect of sighted comparison
If that was the case then the Oppo would have sounded better to me.
But my expectation was that they would be the same.

Yes, I have an Oppo 105 and a Sony x800m2. The Oppo plays PAL DVDs, rips SACDs, and plays quad mixes that the Sony won't. But I use the Sony for just about everything else, including playing multichannel files off of a network server.
This thread got me thinking about the already in-progress process for me to replace my very old, lower end Bluray player with something more Oppo multi-format-like. I ended up getting the Sony 800M2 at Best Buy, think it was $260 plus tax. It's a bit bizarre what formats and disc types it will accept, although it plays most with only certain ones for whatever reason not playing. I had intended to keep my older Oppo dvd player around anyway for random DVDA and SACD playback, so the fact the Sony got me so close to replacing two devices with one is pretty amazing. Also great with the Sony are the dual HDMI outputs on the back, I ran one direct to my 4K TV and the other 'audio only' HDMI to my receiver. My receiver isn't 4K compatible (it's older, and next up for replacement) and wasn't passing the video through, so having the ability to split audio and video was key.

So far so good with the Sony. Tossed every format I could think of last night at it and it played most (quad and one older dvda burn were the only "nopes").

This thread got me thinking about the already in-progress process for me to replace my very old, lower end Bluray player with something more Oppo multi-format-like. I ended up getting the Sony 800M2 at Best Buy, think it was $260 plus tax. It's a bit bizarre what formats and disc types it will accept, although it plays most with only certain ones for whatever reason not playing. I had intended to keep my older Oppo dvd player around anyway for random DVDA and SACD playback, so the fact the Sony got me so close to replacing two devices with one is pretty amazing. Also great with the Sony are the dual HDMI outputs on the back, I ran one direct to my 4K TV and the other 'audio only' HDMI to my receiver. My receiver isn't 4K compatible (it's older, and next up for replacement) and wasn't passing the video through, so having the ability to split audio and video was key.

So far so good with the Sony. Tossed every format I could think of last night at it and it played most (quad and one older dvda burn were the only "nopes").
Out of curiosity what quads wont it play? My sony plays any disc I throw at it, blu ray and dvd quads, although my avr wont play the blu ray quads from the pink floyd immersion sets, not the fault of the 800M2

If the Sony refuses to play all burned DVD-As that's a non started for me, I have hundreds of DVD-As from Oxford Dickie's matrix decodes and Captain Beyond's Q4 and Q8 transfers.

Out of curiosity what quads wont it play? My sony plays any disc I throw at it, blu ray and dvd quads, although my avr wont play the blu ray quads from the pink floyd immersion sets, not the fault of the 800M2
It won't play some bluray quads - Doobie Brothers, Best of Doors. I think some others too. It will play them, but only in stereo

Actually, I don't use the X800 to play the discs; I forgot to mention that. I ripped the discs to 4.0 flacs. The Sony doesn't like those, but the Oppo plays them just fine. But that is another selling point for the x800m2; it will play multichannel files off a server. The x700 won't, although it will play off a USB drive.

I only tested a few, I know one of them was a boot of DSotM quad/parsons quad. I've had that disc for a long time, like decade+. It could also just be degraded although it plays in the Oppo and PC.

Back