DSotM underground DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only been able to compare a few tracks, but the sonic improvements from the previous DTS conversions are the same as well.. 8track and LPs to 1/2 reel to reel..! :) The high end is certainly cleaner. The bass is more defined and extended. Reduced wow and flutter. The only minor artifact is a very slight trace of hiss at higher listening levels. Someone put a LOT of TLC into this project. Even the Dolby Digital, DTS and DVD-A metadata settings are in the correct positions, showing a true 4.1 channel layout. I'll take this version over the 5.1 SACD remix any day.

I'm curious if anyone has compared the DTS 4.1 track to the MLP 4.1 track. The reason I ask is I had heard of a 48/24 DTS track sourced from a 1/2 source almost a year ago, but my work load at the time had prohibited looking into it further. I wonder if the MLP track is upconverted from the DTS track?

>> The only minor artifact is a very slight trace of hiss at higher listening levels. <<

That's actually a very good sign. i.e. It's an indication that what you are hearing is as close to the original master tape as possible. Note that if the hiss had been completely removed, then you could not have avoided removing some of the music signal too, no matter how good the NR algorithm.

>> I wonder if the MLP track is upconverted from the DTS track? <<

I understand that the MLP track was certainly not a product an intermediate DTS version. Rather, it's from the four-track discrete master. :)

Wherever this came from, the person or people that put it together have done an awesome job. Not only is the quality absolutely stunning, but the authoring is actually superior to the vast majority of commercial DVD-Audio discs that I own (for example, no gaps between tracks that run together - if these people can make that happen, why can't Universal? :) ) The pictures synced to the audio is a really nice touch too.

I'm now going to be spending the next however long speculating on how this disc came to be. Obviously access to the original quad mix masters isn't going to be all that easy; presumably they'd be in the EMI tape library or at Abbey Road, and you can't just walk out of there with a master tape with nobody noticing.

Perhaps someone was doing a digital safety of it for archiving and accidentally made a copy for themselves... :) Dylan said earlier in this thread of the disc's origins, "I think much of it can be told by looking at the cover artwork included with the disk." There are some credits there, true - pseudonyms of course - but what has me curious is the drawing of a cat that appears both on the back cover and in the audio setup menu on the disc...

Regardless, whoever you are... THANK YOU!!

Anyone willing to B & P this one? Would definitely like to check it out too! Just send me a PM!

Thanks,

Steve

The success or Otherwise of the disc/download sure goes someway to showing what can be done, and where the gaps in the market are.

I have a copy its very very good. it goes to show that you dont need to remix the album when there is a perfectly good surround mix already available.

I have a grudging respect for this release especially as it show the record companies where the market is. They dont have to remix oilder albums just go back to the original quad mixes and convert to DVD-A one heap of a cost reduction in studio and mix time. I only hope that this does finally get an official release. I will of course get a copy should that happen. until then ill have to make do with what I have.

IMHO much better that the SACD.

If anyone can pm me with a way to get a copy I'd be most appreciative
:)

Thanks,

Bob

Martin, I agree with your comments on tape hiss. I struggled with the proper wording when mentioning the very subtle hiss when reviewing the DVD. I understand and appreciate both sides of the "to noise reduce or not to noise reduce" debate. The easy answer I suppose is when in doubt.. don't. And the hiss is minor enough to go the purist route and leave it intact.

Thank you for the comments on the MLP/DTS track. I'll now need to give the MLP track a serious listen. :)

Last edited:
Some of the instruments are clearer on the DVD-A and everything is better balanced. It's good, but I guess I have heard the DTS version too many times. It's kind of a non-event now. I guess it is good that I have it for that time 10 years from now when I feel like listening to it again.

elias said:
Wish You Were Here is completely present in an excellent fully discrete 5.1 version on the DTS soundtrack of the DVD "Dark Side Of The Rainbow" [/B]

Much better than every SQ-vinyl-to-dtscd conversion i have heard so far.

But the bass is crazy on this one. I have to almost turn my sub down to zero or the entire house shakes.

I've been a member here for awhile but I have not posted much. I'm kinda new to the whole quad seen, as I've been in it for less than two years. I just downloaded this last night, and I'll be burning it onto DVD in about a week or so.

THIS IS JUST MY SPECULATION, BUT...
It seems to me that this underground release must have been done by an insider at EMI. Think about it. Our passion is listening to and collecting a music in a dead multi-channel format, which just so happens to be, in many cases, superior to modern multi-channel formats because, for the most part, the people producing these new albums do not do them justice. Granted some DVD-A's and SACD's are good sounding both in content and aggressiveness of the mix. However, the DSOTM SACD has to be one of worst dissapointments. I don't own an SACD player, but I listened to this SACD at a local hifi store and it just plain sucks compared to the AP Quad Mix.

So, probably someone high up within EMI (maybe even with authority to do so from Pink Floyd themselves) released this. Whoever it was was a big quaddie. He/she was proabably just as pissed as we all are about the poor quality of the modern multi-channel releases. Whoever released this did it to make a statement to the industry by highlighting the difference between the present state of modern multi channel releases and the potential of DVD-A and SACD if done correctly. It just so happens that this person's method was to give quad fans one of the greatest gifts ever in order to help generate extra attention to the commercial success potential of good multi-channel material. We all know that the demand for this album would be tremendous if it was released commercially. So in order to drum up attention, the person(s) responsible transferred a DSOTM quad master onto DVD-V/A, leaked notice of a download site to quadraphonic fans, and make the DVD available for download by those people who receive notice.

I've gotta give this individual some props ~ Nice work and Thanks.

Last edited:
QuadMike40502 said:
I've been a member here for awhile but I have not posted much. I'm kinda new to the whole quad seen, as I've been in it for less than two years. I just downloaded this last night, and I'll be burning it onto DVD in about a week or so.

THIS IS JUST MY SPECULATION, BUT...
It seems to me that this underground release must have been done by an insider at EMI. Think about it. Our passion is listening to and collecting a music in a dead multi-channel format, which just so happens to be, in many cases, superior to modern multi-channel formats because, for the most part, the people producing these new albums do not do them justice. Granted some DVD-A's and SACD's are good sounding both in content and aggressiveness of the mix. However, the DSOTM SACD has to be one of worst dissapointments. I don't own an SACD player, but I listened to this SACD at a local hifi store and it just plain sucks compared to the AP Quad Mix.

So, probably someone high up within EMI (maybe even with authority to do so from Pink Floyd themselves) released this. Whoever it was was a big quaddie. He/she was proabably just as pissed as we all are about the poor quality of the modern multi-channel releases. Whoever released this did it to make a statement to the industry by highlighting the difference between the present state of modern multi channel releases and the potential of DVD-A and SACD if done correctly. It just so happens that this person's method was to give quad fans one of the greatest gifts ever in order to help generate extra attention to the commercial success potential of good multi-channel material. We all know that the demand for this album would be tremendous if it was released commercially. So in order to drum up attention, the person(s) responsible transferred a DSOTM quad master onto DVD-V/A, leaked notice of a download site to quadraphonic fans, and make the DVD available for download by those people who receive notice.

Is it really that wise to speculate? Seriously, whoever did this does NOT want to be found out ... ESPECIALLY if he is an insider ... AND because some "INSIDERS" come here once in a while. Why don't we just show our gratitude by leaving the poor sod alone. I am sure if he wants us or anyone else to know, that he will tell us.

In the mean time, he might just throw a few more bones our way ... UNLESS we get a load of crap thrown at him for his efforts and he loses his job or gets a whack of charges laid on him for his trouble. Sorry to be a wet rag, but I am just thankful that it was done ... and I hope that whoever did it doesn't get in a load of shit over it. Mike.

I have never successfully downloaded these types of files. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could PM me on how to do this or if this could be attained any other way.
Regards,
Kemp

All of this talk is driving me crazy. Can someone PM me with the details so I can also be in surround heaven?

Thanks.

Kemp Neal said:
I have never successfully downloaded these types of files. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could PM me on how to do this or if this could be attained any other way.
Regards,
Kemp

gumbobtr said:
All of this talk is driving me crazy. Can someone PM me with the details so I can also be in surround heaven?

Thanks.

jwhitta said:
If anyone can pm me with a way to get a copy I would be very thankfull!!:D

With due respect to all three of you, if you refer to the very first posts of this thread the details are pretty much all laid out. Everything I know about doing it I read in this thread. Plan on a good 21-hour download (with a cable modem). Good luck!!! :sun

Paul

Consider this: If the person responsible for this disc is identified, there is no way it will remain a "secret" on this or any other web page. What do you think the chances are that person will share anything else? Don't ask me what I'm referring to, just please try to admire your good luck with your mouth shut and you may end up happier in the future.

Back