Dual Layer DVD-R DVD-A's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Anyone done it? Is it a pain? Is it worth it? Does it work with Chrome?

(Sorry if this has been answered before, but I don't find anything with the vB search)

:mad:@::phones:mad:@:

Yes, I do it frequently. It is not a pain. It is worth it when you want a disc of greater size than a 4.7 GB. Yes it works with chrome. Much easier with the new version (2.0.25) than the old version. You'll be limited to a burn rate of 2.4x but imgburn handles it like a trooper.

You can make some nice compilation discs with dual layer discs. I just made a DVDA with foreigner selftitled and foreigner 4 on the same disc. I use the verbatim dual layer discs from Sams Club. Think they are $60 for a spindle of 50. Frys also has a good deal on them if you have a frys near you. I don't but I always get some when I go to Dallas.

I have been told that using a DVD+R DL is better to use because of the way the layer change is handled. I think Neil told me that but I am not 100% sure.

A bit higher in price but you're getting the printable surface so paying more seems reasonable. Its good to see them available on-line. Sams club's supply is sporadic. Those should serve you well. Make sure your burner can handle DL. I still have one that doesn't.

Thanks guys. Just ordered a stack to test. Yup, my burner can do DL, I just don't think I ever tried it.

Data Life Plus utilize the better AZO dye from mitsubishi. I only use them. It should come up as MCC if you check it with DVDinfo. Seems like a good price to me for DL.

From the "Maybe I think Too Much" department:

I've created a DL DVD-A and it burned and plays fine. Got 2.5 hours of 5.1 MLP on the disc and it's great to have that "room". However, I compiled it using individual MLP tracks, not a monster MLP with track points. When Discwelder went to burn it, I got a window that said something like "the layer change is not optimal" and I pressed YES (or whatever) to accept the change it wanted to make. I am guessing it decided to put the layer change in between two tracks.

The question is: Will it do the same thing with a monster MLP file with track points?

Thanks

What build of DiscWelder, Jon?
There is a nasty bug (fixed in build 30 I think) where the app puts the break at the wrong location.......
this was introduced around build 25 or 28 (I cannot remember which)

PM me if you need details.....

Hi Neil...
What is the proper version to use? I'm pretty sure I have the right one... Just checking.

Back