Duran Duran "Danse Macabre" (Blu-Ray with Bob Cleamountain Dolby Atmos mix - SDE #13)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had a chance to listen to Danse Macabre in Atmos on Apple Music and was shocked at how good the Clearmountain mix was, and the music was surprisingly good as well. Having had zero connection with Duran Duran over the years except for very dusty memories of Hungry Like The Wolf I was expecting to dislike this track - but the opposite occurred. I also listened to their last album, Future Past, and found it surprisingly engaging even in stereo. So, much to my wallet's displeasure, I went ahead and preordered from SDE.
Yeah, DD is actually packed with awesome musicians who just happen to create pop. Rather heavy pop, at times. They rocked a few tunes at the show last week that could have been in an Iron Maiden set. Muted gallops and all.

Yeah, DD is actually packed with awesome musicians who just happen to create pop. Rather heavy pop, at times. They rocked a few tunes at the show last week that could have been in an Iron Maiden set. Muted gallops and all.
Mike, have you heard the Andy Taylor album “Thunder”? I do not like duran duran but this is an out and out rock album, he then when on to produce the first album by the band Thunder, wonder where they got the name from?

Mike, have you heard the Andy Taylor album “Thunder”? I do not like duran duran but this is an out and out rock album, he then when on to produce the first album by the band Thunder, wonder where they got the name from?
Andy's first album had a secret weapon: Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols. Not only is the guitar playing unbelievably solid on every track but the real strength of the album is in Taylor and Jones' songwriting partnership. I truly believe they should have kept working together as a songwriting team.

The album was initially titled Out Of My Head and it's lead single was to be When The Rain Comes Down. It would have placed the album in the charts and the second single I Might Lie would have given the album more legs.

Someone thought When The Rain Comes Down would get more plays by being on the Miami Vice II soundtrack album instead of Andy's album. The album was then retitled Thunder and I Might Lie became the lead single with Don't Let Me Die Young as second single. The singles and album hardly get played and to make matters worse, Andy canceled his tour. He was opening for The Psychedelic Furs. I had tickets for the show and I was guttered not to get to see him live.

Andy's second album was put on ice as he was hired to co-write and co-produced Rod Stewart's album Out Of Order. The songs they wrote together are amongst some of Rod's strongest material since the 70's. They had a little too much fun though so Bernard Edward was brought in to put everything into shape and get the recording back on track.

Andy's playing on the album is really solid.

Duran Duran would eventually record a harder song than anything else they'd done before (but without Andy).

when they arrived. Was it 1980 or so ? I cant remember. I was Not a fan. This was not Led Zep or Kansas or Scorpions dammit ! It took years of getting older and wiser to appreciate this band. And now Im really old - perhaps a wee bit wiser - and find Duran Duran to be an incredible band. Their catalog has a lot of great nuggets. Cant wait for the release

Those of us who have yet to upgrade to Atmos are very grateful!
What the heck are you waiting for ??? ;)

I’m not a huge Duran Duran fan but I just listened to the Atmos “Danse Macabre” track that’s on Apple now and its a very immersive and exciting Atmos mix. I think I may pop for the whole album there anyway. I like to support the bands that record in Atmos and post their work to private labels, I just wish they would make it available as a mkv download like IAA
does. I dont like waiting on or paying for Euro shipping.

Saw them live last week. With Chic and Bastille.
Awesome show.

I'm more excited about this than The Harmony Codex...
I just got back from seeing them as well. MN State Fair. Thursday night Grandstand show.

The 1980 something me could never like Duran Duran, but the 2023 version was like, holy s#@t, what a great show!

Anyway, I will be getting this for myself of course, but also for my wife who if given the choice, would still have some Duran Duran posters on the bedroom wall.

Last edited:
Yeah I ordered this one. Love Duran but also REALLY want that SACD of Astronaut. I hope someday they release it again. The resale market for that one is insane.

Back