Duran Duran "Danse Macabre" (Blu-Ray with Bob Cleamountain Dolby Atmos mix - SDE #13)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like it. :) It still isn't my kind of music. Found me some Billy Joel insted that better suits my musical tastes.;) OK mix too.

i love that Billy Joel album but unfortunately i find the Atmos mix to be lacking.

too much of the time too much is mixed in the Front Left and Front Right on almost every track so it feels like a Front-heavy presentation and the Heights do next to nothing, certainly nothing that adds to the mix as a whole in a meaningful way.

really, i find only "The Longest Time" with BJ's lead vocal hard in the Centre channel and the various vocal doo-wop harmony parts nicely spread around to be anywhere remotely balanced from a Surround perspective.

frankly, to me it sounds like it was mixed by someone who barely mixed anything in Surround before and if they did i feel they really ought to have a refresher's course guided by an engineer who can give them some pointers on how to improve their work.

on the other hand, this new Duran Duran Atmos is mixed by one of the best engineers in the business and that's bourne out by the mix which has an abundance of rich Surround sound and ample content going on in the Heights.

not that there is one at present but in a QQ Surround Poll i'd sadly have to give Billy a "5" and Duran Duran a "10" - and i far prefer Billy as an artist so no musical bias at play, the Surround mixes are to me just world's apart in terms of immersion, etc.

This is a really good mix of songs and a great surround mix to boot! Think Bob Clearmountain has really stepped up to the Atmos plate with this one…. Defo agree with @beerking about what a good listen it is. Will also get multiple spins from me…

I’ve watched a few scary movies over the last few days and it’s nice to cap it off with something a bit more chilled and jolly, but equally spooky! 👻
agreed, it's an excellent Atmos mix. i wish i liked the music as much as Billy Joel but still i'm glad it got mixed in Surround and will come back to it at some point.

unfortunately Prince's "Diamonds & Pearls" Atmos BD-A was delayed a month and I ordered it and 'Danse Macabre' to be shipped together. Guess I'll be waiting awhile still.

Has anyone listened to the 5.1 mix ? How does it compare to the Atmos ?
I only have a 5.1 setup as of yet.

Listening to Duran Duran-Danse Macabre, SDE #13.
Dolby Atmos
24bit/48Khz. DR's are 10, 11, 13's, 14's, 15 (tracks). 16 as a whole.
R-28717303-1698404756-3135.jpg

Last edited:
Paint It Black, Super Lonely Freak, worth the price of admission.
Some of the tracks not my cuppa' but not bad.
Based on mixing, sound, and my personal song preferences I give this a solid 9.
Well I would if this was a poll thread. lol.

unfortunately Prince's "Diamonds & Pearls" Atmos BD-A was delayed a month and I ordered it and 'Danse Macabre' to be shipped together. Guess I'll be waiting awhile still.
Same here. For a moment I was wondering why mine hadn’t shown up. This makes sense now.

Back