ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said he had not heard it.

In May 2010 I met Keith and Greg at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, NJ after their last show of the their Tour. They both were very kind and they signed my Rhino dvd audio of Brain Salad Surgery. I first asked talked to Greg and asked if he ever heard this surround disk. He looked it over and told me no I have not. Later when I got Keith to sign it I asked him the same question he told me he did. For some reason the way he looked at me I felt he did not hear it. I think their managment signs off on these reissues, they really have no input no matter what the booklets say. That's why someone who has a real passion for the music should be involved in the reissues.

I recall SW & RF hosting a playback party when the first 40th anniversary discs were to be released in 2009? Many Crimson alumni attended, can't remember if Greg Lake was there, he would have heard Court in surround then.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I think that we will see (at least) "Trilogy" released in 5.1 next year (hopefully in the Spring or Summer), despite Steven Wilson's recent tweet.

Think about it: he's said before in the past that he finished mixing the first two ELP albums over a year ago (last summer 2011) and that it takes a while sometimes for release dates to catch up, so how do we know that he didn't already mix albums like "Trilogy" (and possibly others) and they're just waiting in the can for release next year as part of Sony and R&T's deluxe release series? We know that he doesn't normally talk about mixing specific albums in 5.1 unless they are already confirmed for release, so who knows?

All I know is that it (already) feels weird to not have Trilogy in 5.1 (like the other classic 3 albums) and I hope this feeling doesn't continue...

At the end of the day It always comes down to money, if ELP and Tarkus did well, then razor and tie will comit to the reaeases.
Their origional statement read they will revamp up to BSS.
So we have Pictures WBMFTTSTNE Trilogy and BSS, what format they come up with is anybody's guess, they could do a 5.1 release it may be DVDA or not, the DVDA may never happen as poduction costs may be to expensive, but if sales have been good then it may well happen, or we get a bog standard remaster with a few extra tracks.

personally i don't see the point in another re-mix of BSS. What we have already is just fine, and in some respects better done (not so sloppy) than the first two albums

So would I. But unfortunately there's zero chance of this happening. Too bad because SW is a huge Floyd fan.

Guthrie's got the keys to the PF kingdom and he ain't lettin' anyone else get their mitts on 'em! so any future 5.1 mixes from him will doubtless continue in his "conservative" vein..

same with Storm & the art direction (i'd sure i'd read the marbles, scarves, drinks coasters & other toot in the immersion box sets turned out to be his doing) they're his babies.

ah well.. I'm thankful we got the Quads of DSOTM & WYWH in great quality, officially at last, regardless of what else happens to the PF catalogue..

In May 2010 I met Keith and Greg at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, NJ after their last show of the their Tour. They both were very kind and they signed my Rhino dvd audio of Brain Salad Surgery. I first asked talked to Greg and asked if he ever heard this surround disk. He looked it over and told me no I have not. Later when I got Keith to sign it I asked him the same question he told me he did. For some reason the way he looked at me I felt he did not hear it. I think their managment signs off on these reissues, they really have no input no matter what the booklets say. That's why someone who has a real passion for the music should be involved in the reissues.

realistically, the BSS DVD-A would have been prepared over 10 years ago even at the point you met Greg & Keith. I bet they were involved at some stage (possibly not in any meaningful way?) but can't remember as its just not that important to them in the grand scheme of their careers.

surround is also seemingly not a priority to the labels either, so we shall see what happens with the rest of the ELP catalogue.. but I fear in the absence of SW around to do the 5.1 mixes, any future Sony Legacy/R&T ELP reissues will only feature 2 or 3 x stereo CDs (original album remastered & a bonus disc) in similar packaging to the 1st two reissues.

personally i don't see the point in another re-mix of BSS. What we have already is just fine, and in some respects better done (not so sloppy) than the first two albums

I certainly would rather see something else that hasn't already been mixed and released in 5.1 first.

especially as BSS has had not one but two outings in Hi-Rez 5.1 in the last 10+ years... albeit the same mix and woeful quality control on the Sanctuary Deluxe Edition, still its been out there and so it'd be nice to see anything else by ELP (or other classic artists) before another go-around of BSS.

Rhino dvd audio of Brain Salad Surgery. I first asked talked to Greg and asked if he ever heard this surround disk. He looked it over and told me no I have not.

This makes no sense to me. He produced the original album and the reissue DVD-A surround mix. He even re-recorded some vocals on the surround mix and possibly other instruments.
Maybe he meant he hadn't heard your copy, cagey bugger ain't he. :)

personally i don't see the point in another re-mix of BSS. What we have already is just fine, and in some respects better done........
What we have is nothing unless we already have it. The previous versions are out of print. I'd like to see an in-print version released.

I have never perceived Greg as a very "likeable" character...
come on..."it was a mixed by.....I don't remember" he was either joking or being a TOTAL arsehole!!!

Geezzz....

What we have is nothing unless we already have it. The previous versions are out of print. I'd like to see an in-print version released.

Well, if you opened your eyes it is available, which would do until they get around to deciding that there would be some money in re-releasing it

I'd love to see all surround releases still in print! who here wouldn't!?

plenty of redbook things are now OOP too, so perhaps its a bit unrealistic to expect these "dead format" DVDA surround mixes to still be in print..!?

the potential was there, albeit in imported form, to keep BSS in 5.1 in print, with the Warner Japan SACD reissues of the old OOP DVDAs but for whatever reason (rights?) the 10 SACDs released so far did not include BSS.

meantime, anyone who really wants it now will just have to do what we all do and go hunting online, or in used record stores, etc.

you can still find the UK Deluxe Edition with the 5.1 mix on SACD for fairly sensible money and the DVDA comes up pretty often on eBay/Amazon (I accept more often than not at a premium) ...and of course there's rips online.

come on..."it was a mixed by.....I don't remember" he was either joking or being a TOTAL arsehole!!!

Geezzz....

there is the possibility that SW & Greg had a falling out.. and so Greg's being intentionally obtuse.. not that SW would disclose that, he seems too much of a gentleman.

I'm so hopeful that SW will carry on creating more great 5.1 mixes of classic prog/rock, despite him calling time on the ELP's and look forward to the next announcement. I'm sure I'm not alone!

This makes no sense to me. He produced the original album and the reissue DVD-A surround mix. He even re-recorded some vocals on the surround mix and possibly other instruments.
Maybe he meant he hadn't heard your copy, cagey bugger ain't he. :)

In which song(s) do you think vocals were re-recorded? I am curious to know.

Geezzz....

Earlier this year when I saw Greg's "SONGS OF A LIFETIME" show, Greg was telling a story and got side tracked and then forgot what he was talking about before the interruption. And he said "sorry, a senior moment there.."
I believe SW's name just slipped Greg's memory at that moment, nothing else to read in to it.

Earlier this year when I saw Greg's "SONGS OF A LIFETIME" show, Greg was telling a story and got side tracked and then forgot what he was talking about before the interruption. And he said "sorry, a senior moment there.."
I believe SW's name just slipped Greg's memory at that moment, nothing else to read in to it.

oh he can more than be forgiven for those! can you imagine the full life he has led..!?

i mean, I had a senior moment on here this week -- and I'm about half his age and have done bugger all compared to him..!!

Back