Fish announces future Dolby Atmos deluxe remixes from his back catalogue ("13th Star" out in July!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to order this, but it was not possible to enter my email address, and without it, I was not able to complete the order. :confused:
Do you mean it wouldn’t accept the address you put in, or it wasn’t allowing anything to go in that field.

I’ve got a few free e-mail accounts to deal with the former as it does come up from time to time on some sites. For the latter, I’m surprised by how often I’m finding one browser is better than another, or that I sometimes have to order off my phone.

Do you mean it wouldn’t accept the address you put in, or it wasn’t allowing anything to go in that field.

I’ve got a few free e-mail accounts to deal with the former as it does come up from time to time on some sites. For the latter, I’m surprised by how often I’m finding one browser is better than another, or that I sometimes have to order off my phone.
It's not possible to write anything in the supposed email field.:( I sent their support a mail about it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Atmos mix. Quite a lot going on and tastefully engineered. I hope you find the Atmos mix to your liking.
Definitely looking forward to it. The 2023 stereo remix available on Apple Music sounds excellent and exhibits several moments that would lend themselves to a solid, immersive mix. I also find most of the tracks to be consistently strong - not always the case with Fish solo efforts.

Just got my "despatch" notice from the Fish store so hopefully will have it within a couple of weeks. It took about a week to process the order. The quality of this package, particularly the Atmos mix, will greatly influence whether I buy any more of these.
I got the notice as well, along with a tracking number from Royal Mail. Fingers crossed for a decent mix!

I wonder if there is a Atmos speaker set up in chez fishy?

Like Ian Anderson & Midge Urge, I am 99% sure that he does not have an Atmos set-up. Maybe on his PC?

I am almost certain he de-converted his more proper home studio sometime ago.

The living room now seems to serve as his new release storage, webcasting studio, and recording area. 🤣

Here are pictures:
One of Robin Boult recording some guitar in the living room sans furniture.

Fish webcasting in the same room in front of what I presume are boxes of 13th Star - remix CDs & Box Sets.

And one of the house audio playback unit (aka… home hifi system) that he uses to demo material on his webcasts.

He is actually pretty new to the 5.1 thing.
I think it is the feedback of the fans that got him to commission the first 5.1 for Weltschmerz. The feedback was good and Avril & Andy May have suggested Atmos for this release.

Given that he has been planning on retiring and relocating to a Scottish crofter community for a couple of years now, I wouldn’t think he would invest in any audio upgrades at this point.

If correct, it is pretty cool that he at least cares enough for his fans to at least try and get a quality immersive mix.

IMG_0872.jpeg
IMG_0871.png
IMG_0870.png

Fish’s 13th Star arrived today.
Minus points for the fact that the 5.1 mix is standard (DVD quality) Dolby 🤮

Gonna listen to the Atmos mix down mixed to 5.1 to retain lossless quality

Ryan, please report how the Atmos downmix sounds to you as I only have 5.1 so am very curious of your experience, :)

Like Ian Anderson & Midge Urge, I am 99% sure that he does not have an Atmos set-up. Maybe on his PC?

I am almost certain he de-converted his more proper home studio sometime ago.

The living room now seems to serve as his new release storage, webcasting studio, and recording area. 🤣

Here are pictures:
One of Robin Boult recording some guitar in the living room sans furniture.

Fish webcasting in the same room in front of what I presume are boxes of 13th Star - remix CDs & Box Sets.

And one of the house audio playback unit (aka… home hifi system) that he uses to demo material on his webcasts.

He is actually pretty new to the 5.1 thing.
I think it is the feedback of the fans that got him to commission the first 5.1 for Weltschmerz. The feedback was good and Avril & Andy May have suggested Atmos for this release.

Given that he has been planning on retiring and relocating to a Scottish crofter community for a couple of years now, I wouldn’t think he would invest in any audio upgrades at this point.

If correct, it is pretty cool that he at least cares enough for his fans to at least try and get a quality immersive mix.

View attachment 94584
View attachment 94585
View attachment 94586
I see Fish and I have the same wood stove lol!

The remix doesn’t really fix the harshness (maybe brick walling) of the more aggressive songs. A little too much rammed into all the speakers at peak EQ in select moments of the choruses. I wanted to crank the volume but I sensed that old fatiguing / distorting effect setting in. Maybe that is the limits of my speakers & receiver. Not too much of problem I guess – I was really trying to blast the first & second song more than I needed too. I was expecting the remix to fix that a bit. Ah well.
Haven't heard the surround mixes yet, but that's how I'd describe the sound of the stereo remix as well - the first track sounds really bright & forward and it's exciting at first (the guitars really pop), but it kinda wears you down the longer you listen. The choruses especially sound too 'crowded' for my liking.

Received my 13th Star package late yesterday in perfect condition. I've only had time to sample the Atmos mix and concur that it's excellent - fully immersive with all channels (including heights) strongly engaged. The sound is big and immersive, with great directionality and interesting panning between the speakers. Not ready to vote yet as this is a big package and will take several listens - but I suspect it will be a 9 or 10.

The Fish Store experience was great - I received the package exactly 2 weeks after placing the order and the tracking was excellent. As has been mentioned, the package itself is gorgeous and identical to Weltschmerz. These book sets are very similar to the Tull and Marillion book sets, but a bit taller (~3/4") and a fraction wider, with a hard slipcover the book slides into. I really like the slip cover as it not only completely protects the book, but it also provides an opportunity for additional artwork. They also have well constructed pockets to house the discs instead of plastic spindles. Just like the Tull and Marillion reissues, and unlike many recent bloated box sets, these represent excellent value for money in a compact package. I'm not sure I need to own the entire Fish catalog done this way, but as long as they come in packages like this, each one will be a tough decision to skip.
I'll echo the great store experience, my first with Fish. Mine shipped on the 31st and is out for delivery right now.

Edit: Ugh! This is a poll thread. I hate to be that person that puts a non-score post in a poll thread. Can a Mod delete this?

This is definitely the boldest Bradfield/Mackintosh surround effort to date. Nearly every element in “The Circle Line” has been separated out into its own set of speakers - it starts with synth & percussion in the rears, then drums & bass upfront, doubled vocals in the sides, different rhythm guitars in the fronts & front heights, and that cool middle eastern-sounding riff during the chorus pops up in the rear heights to great effect.

I love that they really ‘went for it’ and tried to make the Atmos mix as adventurous as possible, but - at least for me - Fish’s vocals tend to get kind of lost under the loud synth and guitar stuff in the sides & rears - I think they could maybe have mitigated this by letting some dry vocal spill over a bit into the back (the lead vocal is 100% isolated in the front three speakers, if you mute them it totally disappears) just to support it better through those denser passages.

As with other Bradfield & Mackintosh remixes (namely Weltschmerz and Fugazi), I’m not all that enamored with the sound quality - it’s got kind of a thin, midrange-y quality on my system (I had to bump my sub up a bit relative to other albums), and when the big choruses hit in songs like “Circle Line” and “Arc Of The Curve”, the whole presentation somehow seems to shrink. Some of the heavier guitar parts in tracks like “Square Go” and “Manchmal” sound downright harsh.

The 2023 stereo mix has this same sound, so I wonder if they were simply given stems with the EQ & effects baked in to do the Atmos mix?

Did anyone order this from the EU store and got a shipping note already? I am aware that there was a logistics hiccup initially but stock was supposed to be available soon I understood.

Did anyone order this from the EU store and got a shipping note already? I am aware that there was a logistics hiccup initially but stock was supposed to be available soon I understood.
I ordered from the EU store and got no notification at all yet

Latest posts

Back