FLEETWOOD MAC TUSK DELUXE EDITION WITH 5.1 SURROUND DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Z suggested I collate all my chatter from the other thread and post here - so in order from multiple posts last night, here is what I was feeling...

Here is what the basic menu looks like as it is playing. So, DTS 96/24 Surround....

First song in...it's super warm sounding, excellent fidelity, super bass. For sure, this is not a crazy old school Quad surround mix. It's a very nice, clean mix. The Ledge sounds fun....

OK, I know I'm only 2 songs in - but I think this sounds great so far. First impression says it's never sounded this good and DTS surround to boot.

View attachment 23478

I'll comment a little later as I progress through each song.

Oh boy - Sara just started and I got some serious goose bumps....it just sounds outstanding. I don't think the rest of this disc will disappoint. I'm gonna say that this potentially sounds better than the Rumors disc....but, I need to not get ahead of myself...

So, I'm 8 songs in and so far the only song that fell short of the general quality of the other 7 was number 6...What Makes You Think You're The One. While it sounded OK, it just wasn't up to par with the other tunes. More later...

Song 10, Sisters Of The Moon is a slow burning rocker...and sounds great. So, something of note - I will say this mix is not too discreet. I mean, there are moments here and there when I think a certain sound must be isolated to a speaker - but in general, what they are doing is spreading the vocals across all speakers. But, what they do is anchor it in the front by means of volume. It all comes together though as a solid surround mix. I guess I would say it might remind me a bit of Bryan Adams....you know...lots of sound from most all speakers and it can be cranked. But, the difference is in the warm sound and excellent bass. This one has Adams topped in that aspect. I am half way through and I am super happy with this and will say that it will get lots of spins. It sounds that good.

Brown Eyes - whoa......you can just get lost in the way this sounds. Clint will LOVE this one cause Christine sounds like she is surrounding you....killer. Fidelity is over the top good on this.

I'm rambling like a school girl now...but I can't help remember someone had commented on another thread about their first impressions were it sounded a bit muddy. Eh....let me promise you all - it's far from it. It's about as crystal clear as you could hope for.

Up to song 16, Honey Hi - and so far every single song is a home run as far as I'm concerned (again, except #6).

OK - you've all been waiting.....

TUSK (the song) - OK, of course, they could have gone absolutely bat shit with this one and turned it into a Flaming Lips experience. They did not - regardless, it sounds impressive and it follows the same trend as all other songs. It sounds great.....not too flashy though.

I'm on the last song now. After all that I gotta say this is a superior sounding disc in terms of fidelity. The surround mix is super tasteful and well balanced. I think the focus is on the music, fidelity. Regardless, anyone who likes excellent sounding music and have it spread nicely across all speakers will not be disappointed. This is a clear cut winner!

IMG_6256.jpg
IMG_6261.jpg
IMG_6262.jpg

I'm about 30 minutes into this and it's a winner for me as well - strong mix, excellent fidelity. I think most everyone will be pleased.

Now what to do about Tusk. That's the 90-dollar question, Ralphie. Over on another thread GOS has been raving about how good it is. Hmm... I'll think it over while I'm rocking to "Muscle of LOOOOOOVE". Just again had to say it for GOS. :spot

rtbluray is right about AmazonUK being the best price........$64 including shipping/VAT removed to the US. VERY tempting, Brett! Will have to mull it over ........ for a few minutes ...........I'll have it in time for my birthday if I order NOW! Tsk, tsk! :music

Update: Happy Birthday.......Ralphie! :beer2

rtbluray is right about AmazonUK being the best price........$63 including shipping to the US. VERY tempting, Brett! Will have to mull it over ........ for a few minutes ...........I'll have it in time for my birthday if I order NOW! Tsk, tsk! :music

Update: Happy Birthday.......Ralphie!

Or is it TUSK, TUSK!

Ah, so you did get it? That's what you meant by happy birthday to Ralphie.....nice.

My usual go to place, Deep Discount w/shipping/handling is currently charging $100 for TUSK so rtbluray's AmazonUK recommendation of $64 delivered to the States was a NO~Brainer!

Just re~read your comprehensive TUSK review, Gos.....good job, indeed!

Can't wait.

Obviously I don't know how expensive shipping is to Japan, but aside from that variable, AFAIK the amazon.co.uk price for the Tusk box still has not been beaten yet.

Thanks! I've been looking around comparing prices. Unfortunately, with the Yen being so weak at the moment, that amazonUK low price becomes slightly more expensive than I can get it here.
Ho-hum... The search goes on. :ebay

rtbluray is right about AmazonUK being the best price........$64 including shipping/VAT removed to the US. VERY tempting, Brett! Will have to mull it over ........ for a few minutes ...........I'll have it in time for my birthday if I order NOW! Tsk, tsk! :music

Update: Happy Birthday.......Ralphie! :beer2

Glad you could get one at a decent price. Can't wait to read your review. But...in the meantime I'm sure you'll be GLOWING with Birthday/Holiday cheer! :friday:

Happy Birthday, Ralphie! :brew :party :party :party :brew

Glad you could get one at a decent price. Can't wait to read your review. But...in the meantime I'm sure you'll be GLOWING with Birthday/Holiday cheer! :friday:

Happy Birthday, Ralphie! :brew :party :party :party :brew

Thank you SO much, Brett. I just noticed that the remastered RBCDs are forthcoming in Japan as SHM~RBCDs if you want a taste of TUSK but without the 5.1 option (BUMMER)!

Here is what I wrote on that other forum concerning the 5.1 mix (tough crowd there, the first reviewer didn't like the mix):

"I'm listening to the 5.1 mix and so far I think it is fantastic. They clearly went for an "alternate" mix, i.e. not following the original stereo mix too closely.
The surround mix is less dry, less stark and more meaty, it has more "life"; it is maybe a less unusual mix, which contrasts with how we are used to hear this album, although the feel is more or less the same on most songs. I agree that the reverb on a few tracks is at times a bit overdone (The Ledge...). It is true that it is also mastered pretty loud but not awfully so, IMO. I'm still pushing up the volume.
When you are not trying to pick up the differences, it is a great way to get immersed in the album."

Thank you SO much, Brett. I just noticed that the remastered RBCDs are forthcoming in Japan as SHM~RBCDs if you want a taste of TUSK but without the 5.1 option (BUMMER)!

Thanks for the tip, but 5.1 is the only way I want to listen to Tusk right now. I'm sure there will be a cheaper one available here in the land of the rising sun. :sun I just need to get out and hit the shops. I've been so busy recently. And there are so many kicka** surround recordings to get. It's hard to believe that most people are oblivious to all this glorious music in surround. :51banana:

Thanks for the tip, but 5.1 is the only way I want to listen to Tusk right now. I'm sure there will be a cheaper one available here in the land of the rising sun. :sun I just need to get out and hit the shops. I've been so busy recently. And there are so many kicka** surround recordings to get. It's hard to believe that most people are oblivious to all this glorious music in surround. :51banana:

Brett, I still feel kinda silly that I paid $50 for Monster Music's Sketches of Spain when it was (supposedly) OOP and now I see that Monster's own website has it for $9.99! :flame

Hope you can find a similar deal on TUSK down that long and winding road.

My copy arrived today right before I was due to leave for work, so I'll have to wait until morning to do a proper listen. Can't wait, though! :)

On my second listen-through to the 5.1 mix, and I don't really have much more to say that GOS and others haven't already said. Besides the facts that WB skimped out on the DVD-A part of this disc and that it's an expensive buy for one surround disc, it's a winner!
The only part where I will differ from GOS' review is that I really liked the surround mix on "What Makes You Think You're The One". It didn't start out that way for me, but then once that second drum kit comes in, it livens and fattens up the mix to a great extent!

I'll have more to say when I have the time to write it and when a poll thread is posted, but right now, I'm feeling that this disc will get a very well-deserved '9'! :)

Got mine today from Amazon UK all the way to Florida. Only took a week longer.........worth the 30 buck savings :banana:

Luckily it was sitting by my door as Snood left to go to work this morning...........whew... otherwise it would have sitting by my door in the hot 81 degree temp alllll day. Got lucky there. At first , Snood was like holy crap this big ass box is all beat to hell with the taping almost coming off............so running late, but needed to find out.

They had packed the box in a nice album box surround by a huge outside box............thank god. Looks perfect.

Will be playing tonight when me get home from the Kevin Griffin solo concert (leader of Better Than Ezra) .......so got that to look forward to then a nice sit down with some RumzNCokez and some Lindsey Buckingham/FM Mania :51banana:

Still no Allman Bros yet tho from Amazon UK :rolleyes:

Got mine today from Amazon UK all the way to Florida. Only took a week longer.........worth the 30 buck savings :banana:

Luckily it was sitting by my door as Snood left to go to work this morning...........whew... otherwise it would have sitting by my door in the hot 81 degree temp alllll day. Got lucky there. At first , Snood was like holy crap this big ass box is all beat to hell with the taping almost coming off............so running late, but needed to find out.

They had packed the box in a nice album box surround by a huge outside box............thank god. Looks perfect.

Will be playing tonight when me get home from the Kevin Griffin solo concert (leader of Better Than Ezra) .......so got that to look forward to then a nice sit down with some RumzNCokez and some Lindsey Buckingham/FM Mania :51banana:

Still no Allman Bros yet tho from Amazon UK :rolleyes:

My best guess is you're gonna love it. :) :)

By accident I discovered my Mac had arrived today...tracking said it was in Orlando and it was delivered by the Postal Service...not UPS...same as Snood...big box with another box inside...perfect condition...after opening it up I see why Gos was inspired to get back into vinyl...I miss that cover art...and I'm sure he does too...here are some pictures in the Mac set...you can sure tell it's the 80's
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

By accident I discovered my Mac had arrived today...tracking said it was in Orlando and it was delivered by the Postal Service...not UPS

That is UPS's "SurePost" service. Last leg of delivery is handed over to the USPS.

If you have MyUPS, you can pay $3.00 to have it "upgraded" to regular UPS service and "maybe" get it a day earlier.

Back