Steven Wilson Fun Poll: Predict Steven Wilson's 2021 5.1/Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For purposes of this poll/thread, should we assume that his confirmed upcoming mix of XTC’s Apple Venus will be out this year?

I'd say yes, and I'm hoping people will be a little more creative with their guesses than the stuff like this that's already been quasi-announced.

Some interesting ones thusfar though - I hope everyone will have a good think and toss their hat in the ring. I don't think people should limit themselves to only anniversary year releases either - as was pointed out above, some of SW's recent mixes haven't been exactly on their anniversary.

I'm wondering if the "'70s metal" album is something by a band like Judas Priest? There really aren't that many '70s metal bands to choose from (I'd argue the majority of the heavier music of that era was more in the hard rock genre) so I would think it would be something like that - anyone got any other likely candidates?

okay, i'll think outside of the box (set): i was really bummed by the quad-less What's Going On 50th anniversary RELEASE. When i read this from Wilson:

And that's my little Marvin Gaye moment on "Man of the People," where I imagine I'm being Marvin Gaye in my wildest fantastic dreams.

my first wildest fantastic thought was an Atmos mix of What's Going On. My copy of The Future Bites has not yet arrived, but the videos i've seen also have me thinking, Steven Wilson, I Want You to remix some Marvin Gaye! Whaddaya say? Let's Get It On, Steven; you a real Trouble Man! What i wouldn't give to have you hand me a Wilson mix of some Marvin Gaye and say, Here, My Dear! It might happen In Our Lifetime . . .

okay, i'll think outside of the box (set): i was really bummed by the quad-less What's Going On 50th anniversary RELEASE. When i read this from Wilson:

And that's my little Marvin Gaye moment on "Man of the People," where I imagine I'm being Marvin Gaye in my wildest fantastic dreams.

my first wildest fantastic thought was an Atmos mix of What's Going On. My copy of The Future Bites has not yet arrived, but the videos i've seen also have me thinking, Steven Wilson, I Want You to remix some Marvin Gaye! Whaddaya say? Let's Get It On, Steven; you a real Trouble Man! What i wouldn't give to have you hand me a Wilson mix of some Marvin Gaye and say, Here, My Dear! It might happen In Our Lifetime . . .

I mean...Universal did commission an Atmos remix of the title track for Tidal (as one of "thousands of songs" they were supposedly readying for release--a handful of which have trickled out). So...why not?

This is actually really tough, for all of the reasons Dave mentioned — for all practical intents and purposes, it needs to be an artist Wilson has expressed admiration for, and who has an album that can be effectively marketed with an anniversary or deluxe edition.

And on top of that — it can’t be an artist who has actively showed disinterest in surround. (I believe he’s mentioned that Jeff Lynne has no interest in putting ELO albums out in surround.) And there can’t be issues with missing master tapes. In particular, is it someone who lost masters in the Universal fire?

Having said all that, I’m going out on a limb here, but I’ll choose a 1981 album (so, anniversary) of a band who Wilson has mentioned before, and who can definitely use a surround upgrade (they only have a greatest hits album in 5.1, and it’s not an overwhelmingly acclaimed mix) — plus, the album in question was their first to use keyboards and horns to any large extent, and there are other production touches that’d translate well to 5.1/Atmos.

They are a Universal-affiliated band, but I’ll cross my fingers that these master tapes are floating around somewhere. I also don’t know what outtakes/demos/live material are out there as far as fleshing out a deluxe set, but again, I’ll hope something’s out there.

So... my what-the-hell prediction:

The Police - Ghost In The Machine

I don't want to waste my shot (as Lin-Manuel Miranda would say), but after listening to SW on The Prog Report--see the thread that @Tintin started--I'm gonna go with Blue Moves.

Not my favorite Elton John album, but it's Wilson's (I've also heard him rhapsodize about it on The Album Years podcast), and he thinks it's tragically underrated. Plus, it's Universal; plus, it would sell. And hey, Sir E is now Wilson's Personal Shopper.

(My second choice would be another one he mentions both on The Prog Report and The Album Years, even talking about how brilliantly it would lend itself to surround: Massive Attack's Mezzanine. But I guess that's not exactly "classic rock.")

Last edited:
He’s already got a 5.1 mix of “Made in Japan” in the can, so we know he must like Deep Purple. How about Ritchie Blackmore’s “Rainbow Rising”? That seems to fall under the Rock/Metal category. It is also the 45th anniversary of its release. I think a SW 5.1 mix of “Stargazer” would sound phenomenal.

It's rumored that a box set is soon to be announced for THE WHO SELL OUT. So I will be an optimist and pick that for my prediction.

And on the totally unrealistic, wishful thinking front…. I saw a recent interview with Steven where he said he had just discovered the music of Shawn Phillips. I would love for Steven to tackle that catalogue. Anyone else here remember Shawn Phillips?
Furthermore would be awesome!

Back