Genesis "Selling England" - DVD Versus Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm listening to the right surround channel of the DTS version. The track is 8min 4 sec long. I started listening from 6min 30 sec, which is in the ethereal coda section of the track. Under the constant plinky 12 string(?) guitar melody line and occasional keyboard swells, there's first some tick tock cuckoo clock-y like sounds , then at 7:03 a seesawing synth part with delay on it, then at 7:15 some flute and right after that Hackett does some single note swells for the next 20 sec or so, and finally at 7:43 Hackett starts to play 'noodly' figures' also with delay on them, and it fades out. There's something more than that on the BluRay?
I couldn't of described it better myself. "Tick tick cuckoo clock-y like sounds" and underneath that I hear some other hackett type noodling. It's not there on the 2007 dvd, it's very quiet on the GART dvd, almost unperseptable, but on the blu ray, I hear it. As I said, been listening to this album for 50 years, it staggered me mate

I couldn't of described it better myself. "Tick tick cuckoo clock-y like sounds" and underneath that I hear some other hackett type noodling. It's not there on the 2007 dvd, it's very quiet on the GART dvd, almost unperseptable, but on the blu ray, I hear it. As I said, been listening to this album for 50 years, it staggered me mate
This "GART" DVD sounds like a bootleg and thus should not be discussed on this poll thread.

I couldn't of described it better myself. "Tick tick cuckoo clock-y like sounds" and underneath that I hear some other hackett type noodling. It's not there on the 2007 dvd,[.........], almost unperseptable, but on the blu ray, I hear it. As I said, been listening to this album for 50 years, it staggered me mate
The 'tik tok cuckoo clock' music (a minor third) in the SR channel* begins faintly at 6.30, gets maximally loud at 6.46, then fades, and is gone at 7.00 , a point well before Hackett's single note volume swells and noodles, so I definitely don't know what you're hearing. Can you supply a more precise timepoint?

It would be pretty remarkable if the album was remixed again for BluRay.

(actually *the front L/R and the surround L/Rs are virtually identical here; surrounds are just lower in level)

All I see recently is posts related to how/why the sound of Genesis SEbtB BDA playback might or might not differ from other versions. If they're removed to somewhere else, would they make sense out of context?
As you can see, now that this discussion has been moved to its own thread, the context has been preserved. Poll threads are for explaining votes only.

I didn't know there was a Selling England Blu-ray. Google hasn't helped me here--where can I find this?

The Blu-ray was a shocking (but good) purchase for me. Nearly always, prices and availability of all music discs in Oz are too expensive, but for some reason, I managed to get it for AUD$34.68 (so about US$23), having bought the SACD for about AUD$90, years before. Don't think I ever hit the "Order" button faster, and still thought it was a mistake until it popped up in the mail.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 5.20.48 pm.png

Back