Gentle Giant "Power & Glory" Blu Ray & DVD mixed by SW coming early Summer '14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some quotes from an interview with Derek Shulman:

Are you having any involvement in Steven Wilson’s upcoming “The Power and the Glory” (1974) remix?
Yes, of course. Myself and my brother Ray (ed: Shulman –bass, violin) we are actively involved with it and working with Steven and basically running the procedure which is going forth. Both myself and Ray have been hands on with this along with Steven. Ray, in fact, has done a lot of the motion graphics and I kind of work out some the plans and we work together. It’s the same as always, myself and Ray have been the driving force.

In 2010 you said that the band is working at creating an animated film based around the themes, characters and songs of “The Power and the Glory” album. Will it be released soon?
Yes, it’s going to be released probably in late June all over the world.

From: http://www.hit-channel.com/interviewderek-shulman-gentle-giant/62545 :)

Never heard of them? I will check out the DVD though. Is this a great album? I heard XTC Nonsuch DVD A and thought the album was garbage. I won't do same with this although i do like collecting Blu rays.

I heard XTC Nonsuch DVD A and thought the album was garbage.

Well if you thought that Nonsuch was garbage then we probably wouldn't share enough musical common ground for me to explain the virtues of Gentle Giant.

Well if you thought that Nonsuch was garbage then we probably wouldn't share enough musical common ground for me to explain the virtues of Gentle Giant.

Many think that album is weak.

Never heard of them? I will check out the DVD though. Is this a great album? I heard XTC Nonsuch DVD A and thought the album was garbage. I won't do same with this although i do like collecting Blu rays.

:mad:@:
Garbage?
Hmm... it seems to be you are trolling here...

A smart and considerate member would say, "I do not like the music" or "It's not my preferred stuff"...but .."GARBAGE"??
Definitely not a musician or even somebody who appreciates music...

Ignore list right now..

Bye!
(n)(n)

Many think that album is weak.

Many have been wrong before; not sure whether you're giving a 2nd hand passing diss to Nonesuch or P&G, but many (myself included) enjoy the crap out of both of them. I'd agree that P&G wouldn't have been my first choice for a GG 5.1 remix, but many may disagree with me (many others, not the same many that you referred to).

Many have been wrong before; not sure whether you're giving a 2nd hand passing diss to Nonesuch or P&G, but many (myself included) enjoy the crap out of both of them. I'd agree that P&G wouldn't have been my first choice for a GG 5.1 remix, but many may disagree with me (many others, not the same many that you referred to).

You like it, GREAT, fantastic. No problems. I will still check out future XTC 5.1 releases.

I personally love Prince Come CD yet some think it is rubbish, i think it is one of his best albums.

Personally I don't have a problem if a member here says something is garbage. That doesn't mean it is garbage; it just means they don't find anything about to like -- for them.

When one uses a word to describe an album, it is their opinion. That is obvious. No need to state this.

Gentle Giant and XTC are not the same kind of music. Disliking one will not exclude the other. Use You Tube Gentle Giant to try B4 U buy

:mad:@:
Garbage?
Hmm... it seems to be you are trolling here...

A smart and considerate member would say, "I do not like the music" or "It's not my preferred stuff"...but .."GARBAGE"??
Definitely not a musician or even somebody who appreciates music...

Ignore list right now..

Bye!
(n)(n)

What an ignorant, childish comment. Not somebody who appreciates music? I have over 12,000 albums, 90 Blu rays, 100 DVDs etc.

Grow up. If i think something is rubbish, i will state that. Get a grip. I do not have to articulate my thoughts so the PC brigade do not get offended.

If somebody states Zeppelin's Coda is terrible, which they often do, i do not get offended. I like it but some think it is complete rubbish and state that, as they are free to do so.

Would you prefer the word 'poor'? Does it matter? Jeez.

Gentle Giant and XTC are not the same kind of music. Disliking one will not exclude the other. Use You Tube Gentle Giant to try B4 U buy

Gentle Giant and XTC are probably as far apart musically as you can get, so Keenly might really like GG.

I'm a huge YES and I like Tormato and I've dealt with it being excoriated for decades. Whatever. So using the word "garbage" doesn't bother me a bit.

I mentioned(after being interrogated:rolleyes:) that certain types 80's bands like Talking Heads sound like elevator music to me. I was dead wrong and I apologize(what I said was an insult to elevator music!) but I caught a lot of s&it from TH fans... Life goes on.

I've been victimized by Tormato bashing and now XTC lovers need to toughen up a little bit.. What is screwed up is this:

When an Englishman says something is rubbish we consider he is just being dismissive.
When an American says something is garbage we want him banned and his tongue ripped out.

Its the same word. :mad:@:

About The Power & The Glory: I can't think of a better GG recording to do in 5.1. In fact I think it will be one of my top three 5.1
remixes. If others want those dreadful 1st three Gentle Giant records in 5.1, then good for them. (y)

P&G in 5.1 is a dream come true. What a wonderful surprise! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I remember a few years ago You Tube recommended me a Gentle Giant clip. I clicked on it, was 'I Lost My Head' live in Germany. What I saw and heard was nothing I had heard before. I loved it. After that I slowly got everything they have produced. I will say I prefer their first 2 albums the most. As each release after 1971 became very challenging but quite enjoyable it took more time to get into those albums. The Power & The Glory is certainly a musically challenging piece of music but it is quite rewarding. To any new listeners having Power & The Glory on BluRay may not be a good start for Gentle Giant. Check out Gentle Giant (1970) and Aquiring The Taste (1971) first. I didn't buy the XTC BluRay because for me English Settlement was the only album I liked of them. Its all a personal taste.

Back in the 70's I bought a cheap stereo from a friend. For reasons I can't recall, his older brother threw in some albums (maybe to sweeten the deal?). Among them were: Houses of the Holy, Jeff Beck Group's Rough and Ready, Selling England by the Pound, Nektar's Remember the Future, and GG's Octopus and Power and the Glory. The Zep and Beck records I was familiar with, but the rest were new to me and I've been listening to these artists ever since. Although I'd prefer Octopus, I'm not going to complain about P&G. In fact, I just put P&G back into my CD rotation for a bit of a "refresher". This record should lend itself very favorably to 5.1. Can't wait!

Attachments

• boyband - Copy.jpg
    boyband - Copy.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 371
  • hans_franz.jpg
    hans_franz.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 357
I have P&G on vinyl and love the adventurous stereo mix. I always thought this would be great for 5.1 so I can't wait.

Back