Gentle Giant "Three Piece Suite" — Steven Wilson Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently Amazon has a hard rule for any music release that the description is to be completely misleading or wrong. Also "CD" is starting to be used generically for "album" now. Even when the product format is a bluray disc and not a 16/44.1 audio CD format. Fun times...

Not just wrong music misleads -- I've ordered books where I paid for a previous edition with a certain cover (that you see on the ad page) and paid the rare price, but received the cheap new knock-off :mad:

An angry email or threat of a bad rating will get things fixed, but it is a hassle for both the buyer and seller. In that instance, the seller said they had no control over which page it was on, but as I pointed out, a simple description (year published, for example) would clarify things.

I can only imagine the complexity of music with the many different versions! So these days I ask questions before pushing the "buy" button.

Mine just arrived. and it's only the cd! :mad::mad::mad:
Stupid Amazon, I was sure I ordered the blu-ray. back it goes

Uh-oh, the last time that happened with Amazon, it also happened with acousticsounds.com . . . hope Burning Shed isn't confused, too, as sending back overseas will be expensive, not to mention a longer delay :eek:

Now you guys got me questioning whether I ordered the correct item from Amazon. I ordered from importcds reseller through amazon with this ASIN: B073WQN29M
Is this the one you guys ordered and was wrong or was it another asin from amazon.
The description says its supposed to be cd\bluray.

Now you guys got me questioning whether I ordered the correct item from Amazon. I ordered from importcds reseller through amazon with this ASIN: B073WQN29M
Is this the one you guys ordered and was wrong or was it another asin from amazon.

I just checked my Amazon order and the CD is ASIN: B073WQR224

The blu-ray is ASIN: B073WQN29M - You should be good

Just delivered by UPS, day of release, thanks Amazon.

First impression- of a piece with The Power and The Glory, amazing we can buy these so cheaply.

P.S.- Watched The Son Of Dracula film recently.
I knew there was something familiar about the name of the Alucard music company. :yikes

Just delivered by UPS, day of release, thanks Amazon.

First impression- of a piece with The Power and The Glory, amazing we can buy these so cheaply.

P.S.- Watched The Son Of Dracula film recently.
I knew there was something familiar about the name of the Alucard music company. :yikes

Yes, Count A L U C A R D is DRACULA spelled backwards.

At least the music isn't long-in-the-tooth! I have to say I'd been puzzling over Alucard for quite a while and didn't get it :mad:@: just confirms I should stick to mathematical things

I see it is also the title of track 3 on the 1970 self-titled first LP.
Edit: Listening to the hi-res stereo in Dolby PLII, really digging it.

Ye gods, what an embarrassment of riches the blu-ray holds besides the hour of 5.1 Wilson mixes.

37245782360_e579749676_b.jpg

Apparently Amazon has a hard rule for any music release that the description is to be completely misleading or wrong. Also "CD" is starting to be used generically for "album" now. Even when the product format is a bluray disc and not a 16/44.1 audio CD format. Fun times...

The price on Amazon is increasing almost hourly.
Currently it's up to $19.42, up from $14.59 I paid for my preorder.
The "list" price increased to $23.98.
It also has a note "may take an extra 1-2 days to ship."

The CD price is currently $14.99.
And of course the two reviews in the CD listing are both for the blu-ray. :mad:@:

GG inflation. I received mine yesterday also from Importcds but haven't had time to give it a go. It will be a toss up as to which goes first, this or the complete DVD set of the BBC's "The Irish RM", a fantastic Masterpiece Theater from around 1981 or so....made me go out and buy English riding boots and equestrian lessons it did. :mad:@:

I received my blu-ray of this today and immediately played the tracks from Three Friends, which is one of my favorite Gentle Giant albums.
Holy Mo-lee, Steve Wilson has outdone himself!!! :D:D The mixes and fidelity are phenomenal!! Peel the Paint is a real standout. Even the graphics are superb. This is truly a band that is better in surround :)

Listened to the other tracks as well, and this is a top notch disc. I'm really amazed at the fidelity, especially of the tracks from the 1st 2 albums.
Only regret is that the other multis are missing for the other songs. Hopefully the 1st album can get a proper 5.1 release, now that is seems the tapes for it have been found.

During a recent podcast interview, Derek Schulman of Gentle Giant mentioned that after "Three Piece Suite" was completed, he heard that someone found the complete multitrack tapes for the first album.

Podcast link (relevant quote is at 1:12 16)
https://podsodcast.com/2017/09/26/em61/

Thanks for the link, that was a great interview. I had no idea Derek was such a big fan of Pantera.
It's really too bad that ALL of the multi-tracks for In a Glass House are lost/missing. That is a really good album.

I got mine the other day and listened with the video playing last night. Great fun. Looking forward to giving it a future spin with the TV off so I can concentrate on the sounds. Hey, I'm a guy. One thing at a time.

Awesome bits:
1. Fidelity.

2. Surround mix is as you'd expect.

3. Music: I'd never heard these guys until The Power and the Glory got surroundified. Ain't no band like 'em. One of a kind.

4. Video: Superb work on the video content as per the other GG releases. Tons of work would have gone into these. Other bands with way more money should take note. They could even employ the Shulmans to do it cos they're clearly capable of a huge range of illustrative/photographic/animation styles.

5. Full stereo albums on the BD too.

Less than ideal (but doesn't really matter):
1. Packaging. It's cardboard. Although the cardboard arrived unscathed, one of the plastic disc trays was cracked. If packaging was standardised, I could replace it with a typical double CD case, Super Jewel Box or BD case.

2. The centre part that holds the disc was clinging on for dear life. It was a struggle to free the CD! I've had one of these digipack centre plastic bits expand and crack a disc before, so I always rescue discs from this "deluxe" crapackaging. All easily avoidable if tried and true cases are used. Both discs are in slim cases now though, so it's not a major.

3. Typo in one of the lyrics ("succesful", I think). Whoops! Again, not a major. I have trouble switching off the "looking for mistakes" part of brain that's in use for my job.

Bottom line: Another awesome GG/SW release. I say buy!

Mine came in yesterday (along with the Pineapple Thief - Where We Stood, YAY!) just finished listening to Djabe & Steve Hackett - Life Is A Journey which came today, and by the way sounds GREAT! Just started listening to "Three Piece Suite" and so far "Giant" is sounding good...ahhhh life is good :D

Got my copy today, what a day and it is the correct one, can't wait to check everything out on this.
Haven't had time to listen today with all busy family stuff as just saw our little grandbaby(Liam Jacob) addition which was pretty special.

peter

Great package
Sound is superb
5.1 mix is excellent as expected
Sad there was not more!

What a pity they couldn't find the multis for 'Prologue" :(

Also wondering why they didn't go the Pentatone/upmix route for those.

Back