How to set up inputs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryJason

Hi Guys, from South Africa

I was only born after the demise of Quad and know little. We have a Sansui QRX 2000 receiver (baby brother of the QRX 3000 I believe).

Thinking it was a simple 4 channel setup I put the back 2 speakers in the kitchen and front 2 in the lounge.
I connected the CD to the "AUX front inputs". Now on "discrete" some sound comes through the back 2 speakers, but not much. The other 4ch settings give nothing to the back speakers.

Is the amp faulty?
Should I split the CD inputs into 4, and connect to the "Aux front" and "Aux back" connections?
How about the tape inputs, can I use these for another device (mp3 player)?

I suppose I am not looking for a Quad output as such, as the speakers are in different rooms. Although now that I have found out more, I am thinking of getting 2 more rear speakers for the lounge and a switch to swing from rearspeakers or to kitchen.

Sorry for so many questions at once, but I am new to this.
And I must say that the first time I connected up, the sound quality of this old lady blew me away!

If you want double stereo (one set in the kitchen and one set in the lounge) then you would have to double the stereo inputs with 2 mult adapters (one for each channel) and input them in the discrete inputs.

"I connected the CD to the "AUX front inputs". Now on "discrete" some sound comes through the back 2 speakers, but not much."

You actually shouldn't be hearing anything so what you are hearing is crosstalk - low level leaking from channel to channel.

Thanks Key

The car audio guys sell a 4 into 2 RCA cable, I think I'll give it a try.

If you connect a splitter to the output of your CD and then feed it to the front and rear inputs of the Sansui, all you will have is double stereo, assuming you have left the sansui in the "discrete" mode. This arrangement wastes the capabilities of this unit. You should leave the CD connected to the aux front inputs and use the Sansui's surround facilities (ie any setting other than "discrete") to develop a sense of surround which this unit was engineered for.
As a further source of information, you might contact QuadBob, a member of this forum and the acknowledged master of Sansui technology for further tips.

MTGC (Michael)

Back