Is there too little in the rears?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the third snippet more balanced.

But still, I hear drums too distant in the front. I would like to hear more the drums, not just increase the volume, but to leak some more drums to the rears. Overall, The bright sax sound at the rears is a little overhelming to me.

With respect to fidelity I find it less crisp/clear than Bonana. Not bad, as it is not going into any lo-fi style that I don't like.

But to leak some more drums to the rears.
I did leak the kick and snare into the rears more. There's only one snare, kick, and hi-hat used in this song, so I'm not sure what the optimal placement would be. I have the kick and snare mainly up front and the hi-hat in-between the fronts and rears. Maybe you could draw a placement diagram that you think would suit the song better?

Overall, The bright sax sound at the rears is a little overhelming to me.
Could you elaborate on this? I don't hear this on my system, and looking at my meter levels in the daw, the reverb getting routed to the rears for the sax is well below the actual sax levels, and is on par with the reverb levels getting routed to the front channels for the sax.
With respect to fidelity I find it less crisp/clear than Bonana. Not bad, as it is not going into any lo-fi style that I don't like.
Is it specifically the drums or the entire song in general? The drums being distorted like this is only for this song.

The overhelming sensation in my system is due to my sides surrounds, located near 90º, that go intrussive with respect to the fronts, if there is enough volume on the sides channels.

I have converted the 5.1 to 7.1, moving the side surrounds to the rear surrounds (leaving the sides silent), to get a more 'Quad' locations.

Now I find it more balanced, I hear better the drums and I do not notice that 'overhelming' sensation of the sax.

Well, it really depends on each person's rig configuration. If the 5.1 surrounds are located more 'rear', it sounds OK.

I do not know what to tell you about the drums. They are OK, It's just that I like a more powerful or forceful drums better.

Back