Jeff Beck Group & Birds of Fire - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACDs (August 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this an alternate universe? I just ordered a mint SQ vinyl of this recording! I guess when my Involve SQ Vinyl/QS arrives (with the new amp) I can compare the two. Same had happened with the Jeff Beck Group SQ as well, which is a very nice 'problem' to have. Good feedback for Chucky et al.

Great to see this title coming out!

Yes, I remember when this "Jeff Beck Group" record first came out in stereo. This was the era of going from listening to only single "Hits," to where instead our attention spans became much longer and we went to listening to a whole album as one long song or whole event. One took albums as a complete listening experience and not try to divide them into this or that. Great to see more Quadraphonic Rock titles coming out.

Also, Columbia Quad type mixes are my favorite so, another definite winner from Audio Fidelity. Keep them coming!

I wish I could be excited, but I've heard the quad mix, and for me, it just doesn't work very well.

I'm sure I'll buy the SACD anyway though.

Hehehe - Amazon now has a picture of the QUAD disc! Probably Jon will also post that as an update to original post above...

51dGjlxZ6YL.jpg

Audio Fidelity has moved back the In Store date for the Jeff Beck Group Multichannel SACD to 8/21.
Looking forward to this one.

Could be Premonitions your having! Please order and think about the ZAPPA QUADS (ALL 4 OF THEM IF YOU CAN)

Agree!! Sorry to ask an off topic question - 4 FZ Quads? I know Apostrophe and Overnite - the other two? Roxy and OSFA? I heard that OSFA was a possibility and I think even assigned a catalog number (I bet this was discussed elsewhere in this very forum), and I know FZ recorded a heck of lot of live shows in 1973 and 1974 in 4-channel..so it must be Roxy...

Last edited:
You guys are killing me! :)

A blurb on our obscure FB page and you turn it into a huge leak all over the internet. I am not even sure I was supposed to reveal this yet. I hope that didn't piss Marshall off. His email mentioned this title to me in the same breath as the "Orange" Jeff Beck, and he mentioned it was scheduled to come out at the same time, so I assumed that it was already out there on Amazon like the Jeff Beck. Oh well.

At least we now know that all of the hard work Tim (timbre4) does on that page is noticed by some.

You guys are killing me! :)

A blurb on our obscure FB page and you turn it into a huge leak all over the internet. I am not even sure I was supposed to reveal this yet. I hope that didn't piss Marshall off. His email mentioned this title to me in the same breath as the "Orange" Jeff Beck, and he mentioned it was scheduled to come out at the same time, so I assumed that it was already out there on Amazon like the Jeff Beck. Oh well.

At least we now know that all of the hard work Tim (timbre4) does on that page is noticed by some.

Well later that afternoon, I emailed Marshall thanking him for this title and also suggesting "Spectrum" as another release.
I posted the second bit of the email on here, but here was the first part from Marshall:

Thanks for enthusiastic comments about out upcoming Mahavishnu. I wasn't aware that the news was out.

Oops… ;)

Coool!!!

Although it sucks when somebody leaks something into the 'net...
I consider myself a "mute" when it comes to that...if anyone tells me ANYTHING , I just shut the f*ck up...eventually the news will be known , so , I get no pleasure in leaking anything..I get more pleasure knowing the news itself beforehand, and THEN , when it gets announced , it's even better....

The Birds of Fire will be great (here it comes...the predictable kap'n) even if it's cut off at 22K, but then , that mix is not very bright, especially Billy Cobham's really shitty sounding drums (sorry folks, it's my opinion- compare it to Bonzo's beautiful drum sound from that same year)...those "Fibes" were really dull..and the cymbals were..yuck!!!..STILL, it'll be great to have it in REAL DISCRETE Quad..same as with the Santana ones..maybe they'll use the Mike Robin reels for some of these cause I'm almost positive that Columbia/Sony doesn't have the original ones...

Coool!!!

Although it sucks when somebody leaks something into the 'net...
I consider myself a "mute" when it comes to that...if anyone tells me ANYTHING , I just shut the f*ck up...eventually the news will be known , so , I get no pleasure in leaking anything..I get more pleasure knowing the news itself beforehand, and THEN , when it gets announced , it's even better....

The Birds of Fire will be great (here it comes...the predictable kap'n) even if it's cut off at 22K, but then , that mix is not very bright, especially Billy Cobham's really shitty sounding drums (sorry folks, it's my opinion- compare it to Bonzo's beautiful drum sound from that same year)...those "Fibes" were really dull..and the cymbals were..yuck!!!..STILL, it'll be great to have it in REAL DISCRETE Quad..same as with the Santana ones..maybe they'll use the Mike Robin reels for some of these cause I'm almost positive that Columbia/Sony doesn't have the original ones...

Bummer...you were making so much progress(at least I thought you were):slap:

Agree!! Sorry to ask an off topic question - 4 FZ Quads? I know Apostrophe and Overnite - the other two? Roxy and OSFA? I heard that OSFA was a possibility and I think even assigned a catalog number (I bet this was discussed elsewhere in this very forum), and I know FZ recorded a heck of lot of live shows in 1973 and 1974 in 4-channel..so it must be Roxy...

Yea, you guessed em all right.We can probably add WAKA JAWAKA as well....................and maybe CHUNGA'S REVENGE?

"Billy Cobham's shitty drums"????????

I for one don't agree.I love the way his drums sound, especially on the first track.A great quad demonstration when his drums circle the speakers in the beginning of that song.

Back