John Hiatt -- Master of Disaster 6-21

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrindenver

Anyone else looking forward to this Hybrid release? Hiatt's patented vocal confidence, his wonderful songwriting, and the North Mississippi All-Stars, all in 5.1.

Hope to have it this Saturday.

I am looking foward to it also. I have Bring the Family on DVD-A & SACD.
Kind of like the presentation of the DVD-A better.

I have the SACD, too, but I am not as happy with it as I expected to be. I have high hopes for the new one, recorded with the MC in mind from the beginning.

The new one, sonically, isn't something to write about. Too much advertising for the latest Sonoma 24 track recorder/editing station. The music is heavily compressed. A lot of analog and digital transfers (Roxy Music's Avalon, Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls, even Dolly Parton's Little Sparrow) sound way superior to this one.

I tried it on 2 players. A Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi and a Marantz SA8260. Results were the same.

Simply below average!

Last edited:
I don't think it sounds that bad. However, I think they way they recorded it with everything, especially Hiatt's voice, sounding very closely miked. It has that "small room" sound.

I would agree it dosen't sound that great, and the surround mix isn't all that great either. But i do like the songs. Overall, fair.

MIDIQ said:
I would agree it dosen't sound that great, and the surround mix isn't all that great either. But i do like the songs. Overall, fair.

I am a huge John Hiatt fan, Unfotunately I got this disc on the same day as the Brothers In Arms SACD.

Wow, what a difference.

I like Master of Disaster; I love BIA.

daved64 said:
Gonna post on the spotlight disc thread. It blows huge soundwise!(n)
Strange, because it was promoted as being recorded entirely in DSD using some new workstation outfitted for that purpose....

sbernstein said:
Strange, because it was promoted as being recorded entirely in DSD using some new workstation outfitted for that purpose....
I don't know. I'll try again. Maybe the Talking Heads have spoiled me. I don't hear anything wonderful so far.

Back