Just bought a Denon DVD-2900

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have had it waiting for the stupid SONY MegaChanger, so I opted for this unit. This will become my main DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD player.

I thought long and hard about this unit and the Elite 47. I even toyed with the idea of getting the DENON 9000 (!!), and was about to actaully buy one when I found that it did not do SACD.

So, this unit was $849 with $25 shipping, so I could not pass it up. When it gets here, I will report my findings. It will be nice to finally hear SACD in my home theater setup, instead of on my PC system.

Anyone else here have this unit??

:-jon

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>It will be nice to finally hear SACD in my home theater setup, instead of on my PC system.[/quote]
Not The High REZ on the Computer --YET!
0] Rob

No Rob, what I have been doing is this: I have a sheap SONY SACD player that outputs to my multichannle sound card in my PC. I have been playing the SACDs into my PC, then listening to the discrete 6 channels that way.

Not the best way to hear the hi-rez, but at least I could hear the surround mix.

I figured that was what you were doing. Just didn't want people to get worked up YET about SACD/MC via P.C. We can play DVD-A but not SACD/mc.
0] Rob

I know that Pioneer's got a universal player with a proprietary digital output, for a proprietary digital input on certain Pioneer Elite receivers. Does this player have the same thing, for a proprietary link to a Denon receiver? I thought it did.

If so . . . do you have the opportunity to try it? I don't know what type of processor or receiver you use.

Although it looks like I'm set forever on DVD/CD players (all Kenwood Sovereign changers, hooked up to Entre), one of the obvious attractions to a universal player is the need for only one set of 6 analog cables, and to avoid an external switcher (because I'm not aware of any manufacturer that includes more than one set of 6 channel analog inputs on the preamp/processor).

I've had various Denon products over the years, and all have been superb quality.

Nick

Nick,

The high end Denon receivers have 2 5.1 external inputs, which would allow for separate DVD-A and SACD players, or a combi unit and a Tate!

The very high end Denon 9000 DVD/DVD-A player has the denon-link that allows a propriatary digital connection between the player and a Denon 5800(modified) and the Denon 5803 receivers.

I have a unmodified 5800 and the 2900 does not have the Denon-Link, so I am strictly analog!

I wish Kenwood would get off their butts and do a DVM-5901 (or whatever), fix the 5900 and add SACD. That would be a killer machine. My 5900 will end up on eBay if they do not get that update out soon. :howl

THere's no word about SACD--now. But I now have an upgraded DV-5900, and it is very improved in disc change speed, layer change, and, most importantly, it allows one Entre to control 3 changers.

By the way, I just received my upgraded DV-5900 back today, and that's been my primary DVD-Audio player. I have been using, in its place, a Panasonic RP-91, which has generally been pretty well regarded. Have to say, the Kenwood sounded a few shades more dynamic and detailed.

I just can't be without a changer, or an Entre. I'm dumping my trusty Sony ES 200 disc changers, and going a totally Sovereign syste--Two Entres, three changers for each--one for music, one for movies.

All of a sudden, Kenwood's acquired great support. It might be temporary, but get while it's getting good.

Nick

Nick,

The most annoying thing about the 5900 is that it starts to play the last disc it played when you turn it on (out of standby).

Did they fix this? This is a REAL PAIN, as it starts a DVD, and if that DVD begins with material that cannot be stopped, like FBI warnings or forced previews, you have to wait until the disc plays to a menu to press STOP!!

This really sucks.

Nick Sartullo said:
I know that Pioneer's got a universal player with a proprietary digital output, for a proprietary digital input on certain Pioneer Elite receivers.

While you may "know" that Pioneer's digitial I/O setup is proprietary, your "knowledge" doesn't jive with the facts of the solution.

Pioneer's digital connection is iLink, which is a standardized transmission protocol over firewire. Sony's new firewire equipped products support iLink, as do Mitsu's firewire equipped units. These should all interoperate, but not having tested them myself I can't vouch for that personally.

I don't know if the dCS and Accuphase products using firewire as a transport are using iLink or not.

Regards,

JonUrban said:
The most annoying thing about the 5900 is that it starts to play the last disc it played when you turn it on (out of standby).

Did they fix this? This is a REAL PAIN, as it starts a DVD, and if that DVD begins with material that cannot be stopped, like FBI warnings or forced previews, you have to wait until the disc plays to a menu to press STOP!!

This really sucks.

Agreed. And, unfortunately, it didn't go away.

You would think that when you make a 400 disc changer, it implies that the buyer will want choices when the thing is turned on, not to assume that the last thing you watched will be the next thing you'll watch.

Still bugs, but much better.

Nick

Nick,

I can;t understand why this unit does this! I emailed Kenwood and actually got a response. All they said was, yes that is how it works, and we will take your suggestion into the development team.

I am telling you, this is a REAL PAIN for a machine that lists for over $1500!!!!!!!

UGH!

:-jon:ugham:

Back