King Crimson - Beat 5.1 DVD-A with SW mixes will be released in October 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hi,

Just posted on DGM HQ: In October this year we will see Beat mixed by Steven Wilson released in the well-known CD/DVD-A format. I was hoping for it to be released together with Three of a Perfect Pair (which I like more), but not bad news at all.

What it's more surprinsing is that in October we will see another mega boxset of live recordings from Starless and Bible Black period, but that deserves another thread...

Thanks, finally!! I saw the report about the Starless live box, and thought no, not another before Beat comes out.

As for the live box set, presumably they wouldn't be bringing them out if the sales were poor, but there's been so much KC live stuff - Road to Red set, Larks set, not to mention the Great Deceiver box, all the Collectors series releases, USA, Earthbound. There's only so many hours in the day, are KC fans made of money!

I saw the tweet today as well, finally is right with putting another title out in 5.1, wonder how long it will be for '3 of a perfect pair', guess we will have to wait till next year.

This will be a definite buy for me, and it's looking like with this release, along with "A Passion Play", "The Power and the Glory", "Drums & Wires", and another Yes title (probably "Tales from Topographic Oceans"), this really is looking like it will be the best year so far for Steven Wilson remix releases! :)

This one could possibly be a pass for me. I never much cared for the album so unless there's some super-brilliant extra stuff or the 5.1 mix is just so amazing I'll try to put aside my completist attitude and see if I can survive with a hole in my KC 40th collection.

I'm very glad Beat is finally coming out, and I hope 3oaPP follows shortly thereafter, but weren't they both 'finished; a year or more ago? What caused the long delay?

I'm very glad Beat is finally coming out, and I hope 3oaPP follows shortly thereafter, but weren't they both 'finished; a year or more ago? What caused the long delay?

I read somewhere a while ago that Beat was delayed due to licensing issues over video content.

A post on the Super Audio Mastering Facebook page:

10271231_267572656763348_793209766728392947_o.jpg

A great couple of days with Robert Fripp at Super Audio Mastering. And a VERY special day yesterday Mastering the New Stereo Mixes of Beat which was originally released on 18th June 1982, 32 years to the day!!!
http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4699

You know for all the crap that we can give mastering engineers sometimes (some more than others…), Simon Heyworth has always done an amazing job mastering the surround projects he has mastered, particularly the King Crimson remixes. I wish more of Steven Wilson's mixes (Particularly the Jethro Tull remixes) had been mastered by him as I know they would sound much better if that were the case.

Well said rt (y) He's a real unsung hero for Hi-Res.. and from what I've gathered there's a fair few projects he's completed over the years that remain unreleased (e.g. the entire Nick Drake back catalogue, which he remastered for SACD years ago that got shelved altogether when Universal pulled the plug on their SACD programme) it'd be cool if at least some of his unreleased work could finally appear thru AF's new M/C initiative.

Thanks rt! it's great to see QQ's visited by Super Audio Mastering and lovely they should refer to QQ on their Facebook page.

Wish they would take time out to drop by and say "Hi!" here someday.. a little Q&A with Simon Heyworth himself (and the man himself Elliot Scheiner too, I know Jon has tried..) would be fab! I am curious to know what he has to say about the current state of all things Super Audio and ES about where he sees Hi-Res and Surround Music heading.

you know, us Quaddies owe these guys a great debt for all the lovely stuff they've done over the years, they ought to hear all the praise we heap upon them and their work!

Worth mentioning (in case any of us hadn't read the liner notes :eek: ) Simon Heyworth really delivered the goods on the Depeche Mode back catalogue (we managed to get all that lot of his released on SACD at least!).

Wish they would take time out to drop by and say "Hi!" here someday.. a little Q&A with Simon Heyworth himself (and the man himself Elliot Scheiner too, I know Jon has tried..) would be fab! I am curious to know what he has to say about the current state of all things Super Audio and ES about where he sees Hi-Res and Surround Music heading.

There might be a chance that I will speak with Elliot Scheiner in some fashion (phone, email, etc) for this Master's Project in surround I am working on (at least one of the faculty have worked with Elliot a number of times, so *fingers crossed*!) :)

There might be a chance that I will speak with Elliot Scheiner in some fashion (phone, email, etc) for this Master's Project in surround I am working on (at least one of the faculty have worked with Elliot a number of times, so *fingers crossed*!) :)

Oh yes!! That would be amazing! Where would you start with interviewing an out and out studio legend? I've seen video footage of a Q&A with ES at some conference.. SOOO frustrating! the things I would ask him if I'd been in their shoes.. but then I'd probably get tongue-tied and mess it all up and he'd move onto someone else! :eek: :p

I hope when you're a world-famous mastering engineer one day rt, you won't forget to pop by and say Hi to your old buddies at QQ ;) (y) :phones (y)

Simon Heyworth has always done an amazing job mastering the surround projects he has mastered, particularly the King Crimson remixes.
What surround project did he master? Usually he does only the mastering of the stereo mix and the (less important?) 5.1 mix is left as Steven Wilson delivers it, when necessary minimally tweaked by Neil Wilkes.

Back