King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally took a bite and pre-ordered "The Road to Red" on amazon.co.uk
As a US person, that is the best deal I have found on the box set, especially since it is currently not for sale on amazon US.
I would love to order from Burning Shed, but I can't afford to spend almost another $100 on this set just for a T-shirt.
$175 for 24 discs (including 2 BDAs) is completely worth it to me, even though I can't imagine I'll listen to anything else except the 2 BDAs (and possibly the CDs that replicate the BDA content).

That being said, it's a MUCH better deal than the incredibly overpriced "Tommy" box set, which has only 4 discs, yet UMe wants about the same amount of money...
I may end up opting for the standalone HFPA BDA of "Tommy" when it becomes available though. :)

I have to think the Amazon stateside listing will return soon. It was $173 at last glance.

It is a great value given the quantity and precise focus of perhaps the most rock star era of the band that frankly means the world to me.

Having all those shows will be fun and USA on DVD-A albeit 2.0 will be extra special. It includes the most perfect version of Exiles IMHO.

It's still unavailable on Amazon USA but the price is now $159.32. This may now nudge out my Amazon UK pre-order depending on how the pound swings in the next few weeks (right now the cost with the conversion is $158.59).

9841_10152274668407519_711516629_n.jpg

In case anyone's interested, here's a picture of the "Road to Red" set in all its glory! :)

I just got a notice that my copy of Road To Red has shipped...can't wait!

I have been a little out of touch, but when are they going to release the rest? Lark's tongue was the last one...a long time ago, right?

when are they going to release the rest?

That's the question on all of our lips right now :)
Larks' came out about a year ago now...going from memory, we're waiting for Beat, TOAPP and THRAK...I don't recall there being plans for Power To Believe nor Construkction of Light. Typically, fall is a good time for these sort of things because of the holidays, but nothing has been announced yet...even Jimmy Page has let us down by (apparently) not having the first few box sets for the Zeppelin catalog scheduled for release yet (sorry, couldn't help but gripe about that).

That's the question on all of our lips right now :)
Larks' came out about a year ago now...going from memory, we're waiting for Beat, TOAPP and THRAK...I don't recall there being plans for Power To Believe nor Construkction of Light. Typically, fall is a good time for these sort of things because of the holidays, but nothing has been announced yet...even Jimmy Page has let us down by (apparently) not having the first few box sets for the Zeppelin catalog scheduled for release yet (sorry, couldn't help but gripe about that).

Looks like I haven't miss anything...Beat & TOAPP are my least favorite KC albums but I just want them get those out so that I close this chapter. It is going on forever.

Road To Red arrived today...giving the new stereo mix a listen, so far I feel it was a good decision. I've always felt this was a very muddy sounding album, despite my love for it. It's a better match to the quality of the others in the 40th Anniversary series.

"USA" is apparently not DVD-A! I popped it into the ELS system in my Acura (which plays DVD-A), and it spit it out, saying CHECK DISC. This doesn't happen with any other title in the KC 40th Anniversary series. Very disappointed! Jon, any idea why this particular title wasn't authored as a DVD-A? I understand it's not 5.1, but it should still play as a DVD-A.

"USA" is apparently not DVD-A! I popped it into the ELS system in my Acura (which plays DVD-A), and it spit it out, saying CHECK DISC. This doesn't happen with any other title in the KC 40th Anniversary series. Very disappointed! Jon, any idea why this particular title wasn't authored as a DVD-A? I understand it's not 5.1, but it should still play as a DVD-A.

It is 96/24 LPCM so I guess its all in teh VIDEO_TS folder compatible with 99% of players Neil would know better but i assume compatiblty as it was stereo only was teh reason.

It's not in MLP Lossless DVD-A as we would not have managed to squeeze nearly as much content onto it if we had.
Additionally, it was felt to be kinda pointless as all content is stereo LPCM only so it would have been needless duplication of the material with absolutely no sonic gain at all.
I have to admit I forgot about the Acura in-car system.
Please PM.

https://twitter.com/thesidsmith/status/392999312449228801

I loved seeing this tweet from Sid Smith in my Twitter feed this morning:

"Asked re best of events for 2013: does hearing @JakkoJ's revelatory 5.1 mix of King Crimson's Thrak count? http://bit.ly/16v1TG4 "

We should be getting this mix sometime next year, along with (hopefully) "Beat", "Three of a Perfect Pair", Jakko's ELP mixes ("Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery") and (of course) some more YES mixes. If we can get all this, 2014 will be a great year indeed! :)

Jakko M Jakszyk ‏@JakkoJ Feb 1
I've never liked the post-70's Crimson line-up nearly as much as the ones that came before it. While I liked Discipline when it was released, I could never get into Beat or 3OAPP. I'm going to see the band in October and decided to force-feed myself some of these albums again. I still like Discipline but the following 2 are very uneven... still don't care for them much. Having said that, to my surprise I really like Thrak. I don't even remember buying this one but it's been on repeat play for the past few days and I'm really looking forward to this in surround. Hopefully Fripp will have a good hand/ear in JJ's mix unlike the recent Brain Salad Surgery fiasco. Next up for me are The ConstruKction Of Light and The Power To Believe... don't recall ever hearing either of these either.

I've never liked the post-70's Crimson line-up nearly as much as the ones that came before it. While I liked Discipline when it was released, I could never get into Beat or 3OAPP. I'm going to see the band in October and decided to force-feed myself some of these albums again. I still like Discipline but the following 2 are very uneven... still don't care for them much. Having said that, to my surprise I really like Thrak. I don't even remember buying this one but it's been on repeat play for the past few days and I'm really looking forward to this in surround. Hopefully Fripp will have a good hand/ear in JJ's mix unlike the recent Brain Salad Surgery fiasco. Next up for me are The ConstruKction Of Light and The Power To Believe... don't recall ever hearing either of these either.

They are even heavier than "THRAK" is. Both of those albums have their moments, but to me, they are among the weakest elements in the Crimson catalogue. I even prefer "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" to those two. I just miss the presence of Tony Levin and Bill Bruford too much on those albums.

Now obviously don't let that stop you from listening to them. I think everyone should try them out for themselves to hear what they are like.
"The Power to Believe" was originally supposed to be a part of the 40th anniversary series, but I doubt it will make the cut now, especially considering how long it is taking to also get "Three of a Perfect Pair" and "THRAK" out there.

The mix of 'Beat' always sounded kind of wan to me, so hopefully it will be beefed up for the remix, as 'Discipline' was. Side 2 of 3oaPP is ferocious, and I expect a treat in surround.

As a long-time Crimson fan I can accept the ebbs and flows in the creativity and degree of impact that occurs within their back catalog. If you have tickets to see them this year (I do not as yet but would like to), I wouldn't sweat any of the Belew material as it's unlikely they will play much if any of it. Thrak was a wonderful return to form, although it took a while for the double-trio aspect to gel. Listeners and the artists (RF at least) seem to agree that The Construction of Light missed the mark somewhat. The Power To Believe is a terrific record and I think we will get this one in the preferred QQ format. I don't think the time elapsed of other releases has any bearing on this. Other lofty projects have drifted to the front burner (love these too) and linear time does not appear to be a factor in this magical world we are part of here.

At the end of the day Beat is a rushed too-short step-sister of Discipline; Sid Smith's excerpts remind us of this. It can also be seen as predecessor (Heartbeat, etc.) to Adrian's 1983 Twang Bar King album and tour which was great and entirely non-KC in nature. Can Beat be rescued in the new release? I certainly hope so but keeping my expectations very real in this regard.

Three Of A Perfect Pair lands somewhere between the two previous albums; I'll discuss those merits and warts another time near it's 5.1 release.

When a band records SEMINAL albums like In The Court Of The Crimson King and later Discipline, all that follows remain enjoyable for their relative merits but will surely suffer in direct comparison.

Back