King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:phones

Attachments

• wink-bottle.jpg
    wink-bottle.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,263
I was going to put in a picture of famed game show host Wink Martindale, but maybe I don't have that privilege yet...:(

You should be able to add any picture. All members can do it, just select "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS", but you must "GO ADVANCED" first.

After breaking free of Virgin's gravity, Robert Fripp launched Discipline GM (Globile Mobile) for past and future releases. If you have never seen his copyright notice which started to appear in 1994:

The phonographic copyright in these performances is operated by Discipline (GM) Records on behalf of the artists, with whom it resides. Discipline accepts no reason for artists to give away such copyright interests in their work by virtue of a "common practice" which is out of tune with the time, was always questionable and is now indefensable.

It occurs to me that we need to compile a list of bands and musicians who have taken control of their catalogs. These are the artists to target for potential surround releases because they are free of the label dinosaur carcasses who refuse to listen or act for 5.1 products.

It occurs to me that we need to compile a list of bands and musicians who have taken control of their catalogs. These are the artists to target for potential surround releases because they are free of the label dinosaur carcasses who refuse to listen or act for 5.1 products.

What a superb idea!

I also added a supportive post (Feb 2, 2008) about SW's 5.1 mixing of Crimson catalog titles to the DGM Live Guestbook now approved by moderators:

http://www.dgmlive.com/forum.htm?position=0&

KC 5.1 Surround Via SW!
:: Posted by timbre4 on February 02, 2008

Long time no post...regards to everyone in the Crim-fold...

Sometimes God Remixes

The very thought of having the classic albums mixed in 5.1 surround by Steve Wilson (who has aptly redeemed himself by mixing several Porcupine Tree albums astonishingly well) is a dream come true! Since we have someone with the skillset and respect we’d hope for, the only obstacle remaining between me and sheer Crim-bliss is RF’s approval.

I had much of the KC catalog in every format that has appeared so far. The sheer quality of DVD-Audio high resolution (WITH 5.1 surround as the icing), will DWARF all that has come before it. We will finally hear everything that was intended from a brand new perspective. The existing formats will provide familiar comfort for the faint-hearted and reference for all.

Someone posted that "DVD-A has the dynamic range of vinyl" which is akin to saying that Astin Martin has the build quality equal to the Honda Accord. It has much more dynamic range than vinyl; perhaps they meant to say that is that DVD-A has the clarity or "air" that CDs and lesser media lack. You can only get so far and still keep the stylus in the groove.

Everybody should enjoy the band in the format(s) that suits them best, but I must say this is VERY exciting news for the boy who sold his stereo system to buy his first bass guitar after witnessing King Crimson at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles in 1974.

TMcD 2008

Last edited:
It gets so old listening to these "sweet-spot spouting not on stage with the band" bunch of narrow minded one noted morons stuck in their record player past with their expensive power cords and high priced cables wanting everything laid out in front of them with a presentation that is 50+ years old who demean anyone with a brain that can handle more that one thing at once.

Good grief. Go get some headphones...........................

who demean anyone with a brain that can handle more that one thing at once

You hit the nail on the head. Hopefully the nail doesn't have multi-heads. :rolleyes:

It amazes me that people still trash surround music without even giving it a chance. And if they give it a chance and don't like it they should leave it to those that do. It's been that way throughout time though, narrow minded thinkers try to kill the spirit of free thinkers as they are afraid of course of how this free thinking will change their status-quo.

The bit that really irks me with stereoheads is that the have it all sideways - in the real world we are always listening in surround.
Our ears pick up a sound & the first thing they do is localise the direction & the distance.
(We need to know if we have to run away or not, and this is instinctive in our minds)
It's stereo that is un-natural.
Plus - of course - the sweet spot is actually much narrower in stereo because of the phantom centre, and if you move from side to side, the entire image will shift. Using a real centre channel eliminates this problem.
Trouble is there are way too many "5.1" mixes that are either
A - stereo with reverb in the rears, and an occasional solo in centre channel or
B - fake surround from an unwrap algorithm off a TC6000/Lexicon 960.

We need more like ES.

Back