King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing those stereo-purists always fail to point out is that STEREO HAS A SWEET SPOT TOO!!!!

How often do they sit "in the sweet spot" to listen to stereo??? HUH?? How often??

Well, then why do they have to always state that "unless you sit in the sweet spot, you cannot enjoy surround music"???

What a joke. :mad::rolleyes:

Well, then why do they have to always state that "unless you sit in the sweet spot, you cannot enjoy surround music"???

I personaly think that taking a little walk around the sweet spot now and then, while playing a good surround mix, is something great.
But then again, I always like the, so called, "in the band" or "on stage" mixes (BTW being in a band sounds quite different most of the time ;) )

(BTW being in a band sounds quite different most of the time ;) )

I've often thought about doing a 5.1 from the perspective of the front man (or woman) onstage.
It would be odd at first - the drums would be behind you in the rears, and the front 3 channels would approximate the stage monitor wedges.

There are a couple of tracks done like this on the BJ Cole DVD-A "Trouble In Paradise", and they work quite well.

It occurs to me that we need to compile a list of bands and musicians who have taken control of their catalogs. These are the artists to target for potential surround releases because they are free of the label dinosaur carcasses who refuse to listen or act for 5.1 products.

This is a great idea Tim.

On the discussion of King Crimson. . .whatever respect I've built up around here (if any at all!!) may be completely wiped away, but if I'm going to be ready for KC in surround I need try out an album because I don't own one! In fact, I cannot say I've ever heard a KC song, or if I did I didn't know it was KC. :eek:

So, as a newbie, where should I start? :phones
Josh

I started listening In The Court Of The Crimson King when I was 4 and I still love it! That's why I'm a completely Schizoid Man now :D

Good choice. It's still my favorite King Crimson album. But be prepared for other King Crimson albums to be *quite* different. If you are a member of bmgmusic.com or yourmusic.com, their "The Power to Believe" album is available, and will give you a good sense of what they sound like over 30 years later.

If Hi Rez MCH has now reached a viable niche market, and we get classic albums in premium box sets (Doors, Genesis, KC) and good reworkings of albums (Porcupine Tree) instead of mass market Britney Spears MCH releases - I can live with it.

Hmmm. King Crimson wasn't really a band that did a lot of overdubs. How would an album like "Discipline" be mixed for surround? Guitar 1 left, guitar 2 right, stick and lead vocals center, drums and backing vocals rear?

J. D.

Overdubs don't matter so much, what matters is whether the albums were multitracked, which they usually were, i.e., bass, guitars, vocals, drums on separate tracks. That allows maximum freedom to remix.

Perhaps a bit off topic but still somewhat relevent...some tour news for this year's KC 5 piece:
http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=1452
Get along to your nearest travel agent quick as you like - King Crimson have confirmed the following dates marking their return to active service later this year.

Wednesday 6th August, Park West, Chicago
Thursday 7th August, Park West, Chicago
Friday 8th August Park West, Chicago
Monday 11th August, Keswick Theater, Philadelphia
Tuesday 12th August, Keswick Theater, Philadelphia
Thursday 14th August, Nokia Theater, New York
Friday 15th August, Nokia Theater, New York
Saturday 16th August, Nokia Theater, New York

For the KC newbies, other than "In The Court" I would recommended picking up "Red" for shear power KC and "Larks' Tongues In Aspic". also, the live recording from 1974 "USA" improves and heavies up the Larks' Tongues tracks. John Wetton's bass sounds simply monsterous on this one. BTW, their "Power To Believe" album from a few years ago separates amazingly well through a Vario-matrix for the Sansui QRX crowd.

Rick

Anybody know who the 5 man lineup is for the previously mentioned August tour?

Rick

It would be my understanding that nothing solid has occured as yet.

Pretty psych'd about the new tour dates; if they do warmups here in Nashville maybe I'll find out in time.

There's much more to 5.1 than a different instrument in each channel.
ITCOTCK will be in-fuckin-credible in 5.1
Imagine how great 21st century Schizoid Man will be!

Discipline will also be excellent - there is a lot of stuff going on there.

Neil,

I second that brother!
Schitzoid will be killer in 5.1 but one of my favorites was Epitaph as well.
All around a great record that deserves a good surround job! :phones

-Bob

Back