Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ip9lx1.jpg

I got the "Growing Up Live" on DVD when it came out cause I saw him in BCN on this tour (as usual, I was right next to the stage!) and was pleasantly surprised by the very active MCH Mix....

BTW, love the "Cuban Rum" reference/tag....(How is that brand? Is it dry or sweet? I grew up with Puerto Rican rums that are VERY dry and was SHOCKED when I first tasted Havana Club...man it's SWEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!)

I was hopin' you'd glom on to that sutle indication, kap'n .

Legendario unlike H.C. dark is very sweet indeed. Should be sipped in a brandy snifter. Now of course it was involved in my assessment of the Peter Gabriel live disc.
I don't think it influenced me to a pro-discreet outcome of this disc, though.
Hell, I think that particular bias came about from years (decades) of QUAD listening.

@Ryan

Yes, I think a repurchase is in order for your listening enjoyment. It's in Blu-ray now, and at $22.00 CDN well worth it.
Those Eaglevision discs are mostly "ambient" when Shand/Kemp are mixer involved, but not this "Wonder"!!!!:upthumb

Azteca

WHY IN THE WORLD THIS UTTERLY AMAZING QUAD (thank you Linda :) ) HAS NEVER BEEN REISSUED IN THE INTERVENING 44 YEARS, PLEASE TELL ME HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE...!?!?!?

(Sorry for shouting.. it's just... mindblowing how good this is in Surround and nobody gives a bloody damn..!!!!!!!)

:banana:

YOWCH !! My ears are still ringing !:D

(Could be a sales thing, or the tape is toast, or like me, getting too olde)

ol' fizzz

Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra - Synergy

(LOVE IT..!!!!) :smokin

I guess chances of this seeing a discrete SACD/DVD/BD reissue anytime soon slim to nil too..

*sigh*

XTC "Skylarking" 5.1 BD-A... first listen to this music... ever (except "Dear God", which I heard on the radio); definitely a 10 based on sound quality and surround mix... I'm going to have to put the CD on rotation in the car for a week or so before I judge the content... there are so many layers here, I think this will probably grow on me (as have all the other XTC multichannel releases!)

Oingo Boingo "Dead Man's Party" SpecWeb Upmix... (getting ready for "The Nightmare Before Christmas" performed live at The Hollywood Bowl tonight by Danny Elfman)... if only someone would do a proper surround mix of Dead Man's Party... multiple layers of vocals, percussion, guitars, horns, keyboards, it could be fantastic!!!

Just finished up Edgar Winter "They Only Come Out at Night" with the aprapro Frankenstein.

Now the main holiday event: Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds on SACD.

"Opera Breve"

A lovely recital of famous opera arias performed on violin and piano. Superb recording.

Manuel de Falla (1876-1946): Spanish Dance from la Vida Breve – Arr. Fritz Kreisler
Piotr Tchaikovsky (1840-1893): Lensky’s Aria from Eugen Onegin – Arr. Leopold Auer
Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848): Una Furtiva Lagrima from l’Elisir d’Amore – Arr. Philippe Quint
Christoph Willibald Gluck (1714-1787): Melodie from Orphée et Eurydice - Arr. Fritz Kreisler
Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868): Paraphrase on Largo al factotum from Il barbiere di Siviglia – Arr. Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco
Richard Strauss (1864-1949): Morgen, Op. 27/4 - Arr. Mischa Maisky
George Gershwin (1898-1937): Porgy and Bess Suite - Arr. Jascha Heifetz
Camille Saint Saëns (1835-1921): Cantabile from Samson et Dalila
Engelbert Humperdink (1854-1921): Evening Prayer from Hänsel und Gretel – Arr. Philippe Quint
Joseph Joachim Raff (1822-1882): Cavatina Op 85, N. 3

Philippe Quint, violin
Lily Maisky, piano

Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra - Synergy

(LOVE IT..!!!!) :smokin

I guess chances of this seeing a discrete SACD/DVD/BD reissue anytime soon slim to nil too..

*sigh*

Too bad he never did release the MCH BD he mentioned he was planning of this record..
BTW...my favorite of his is his 3rd one (I Think);
"CORDS"

I got 2 versions on LP(one of them being the 1st pressing in clear vinyl and gatefold cover), the 1st CD pressing AND..(something VERY RARE for me, a 96/24 Download of his new mix from a few years ago).

They ALL DECODE MARVELLOUSLY thru DPL II...so much so I had to ask him if it was a "stealth quad"! (it isn't...)

I never did understand why Peter Gabriel "dropped him" from the band. especially after being so important on his first 4 LPs....he even got a call from the PG camp to ask him about his patches so they could replicate them (THE NERVE!!!!!...PG lost MAJOR points from me for this....you want the patches???? well, HIRE ME AGAIN!!!)....

Had a horribly long and stressful day at work today, but I'm going to try to rinse it all away with some beers and
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream :smokin

Back