Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream

cmKsRNF.jpg

and Lightbulb Sun

A3OVHLf.jpg

love the long guitar solo Shesmovedon.
Surround is great on both though I prefer the fidelity of Stupid Dream, much more 'open'

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings (BD-Audio)

Excellent surround sound from guru Elliot Scheiner!:worthy

Overdosing on Beethoven today. Tacet's triple blu-ray of all nine symphonies. Nice and discrete. Tacet does a real nice job with their surround mixes, doing a lot more with the rear channels than on most classical surround mixes. Recommended.

b04bbb71ad6027175e357203a4c61e8f.jpg

according to this site, Len Chandler's debut album "To Be A Man" was reissued in Flac format @88.2k & MCh last May..

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/9ncviz/len-chandler-to-be-a-man-remaster

he did have a QS release back in the day (an EP I think) so its not totally beyond the realms of possibility maybe.. though how riveting an MCh mix you'd get out of such material I don't know.. I don't suppose (super long shot!) anyone here has already D\L'd it and can verify if it is indeed in Surround or if the listing is in error?

E. Power Biggs - J.S. Bach The Four Great Toccatas & Fugues SACD... discrete organs in all 4 corners with the low end vibrating through my chest... this sounds so friggin' great BLASTING through my house!!! I don't think any family members will be bothering me tonight;)

As a drummer, this album was a huge influence on me. It came out when I was 10 years old and convinced me to switch from saxophone (which I played for just a few months) to snare drum, and then expand to the full drum kit. I bought a book called 'The Drum Techniques of Rush' that broke down all of the drum parts in sheet music, and I analyzed every note over and over again. I played along with the album on my drums, going back and replaying every section until I had it figured out note for note, for probably more than a year. I would even spend most of the day, some days, tuning my drums to get the same sound as Neil's (used to have 8 toms). I almost kind of made myself sick of it after a while, but after so long, it's still a blast to put it on all these years later and check it out, especially in surround. Not the best surround, but a close second to 'A Farewell to Kings' in my book.

cover_15116552016_r.jpg

Wish we could get Steven Wilson remixes for all of them, at least up through Signals or Grace Under Pressure.

Back