Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alvin Lee

Live in the 70's with his new band at the Rockpalast. DVD DD 5.1

20170824_201116.jpg

Never seen that one! What's the Surround Like?

It's a bit on the tame side, Duncan---but for a cd/dvd on that Repertoire label, the sound/fidelity is very good.
If you like TYA and Alvin Lee (fret work maestro that he is ),,,,, then you should pick this one up.

My biggest complaint is that it's a short concert , too short for my requirements , but I'd love more surround or quad by Lee and most definetly Ten Yrs After.

I was a big fan early on in their career---- ,and still am one !

. Saw them perform in Winnipeg -TWICE !!! and would highly recommend any of their discs and most solos.Alvin was the first guitarist I witnessed playing his" git box" with his teeth, or a bow, or mic stand , and backwards and other tricks of his fender.(y)

Their early discs on London/Deram have adventurous panning , which shows off in any Quad decode, btw. The Columbia/CBS discs are no slouch either .:sun , btw.

If only Steven or Jakko or any other well informed credited surround mix master would tackle TYA'S back catalogue. It just needs to be done, fwiw. :music

I never saw Ten Years After, but in the mid-late-70s I did see the contractually unique Ten Years Later with Alvin Lee (though for some reason I think they were called Ten Years Before!).

It's a bit on the tame side, Duncan---but for a cd/dvd on that Repertoire label, the sound/fidelity is very good.
If you like TYA and Alvin Lee (fret work maestro that he is ),,,,, then you should pick this one up.

My biggest complaint is that it's a short concert , too short for my requirements , but I'd love more surround or quad by Lee and most definetly Ten Yrs After.

I was a big fan early on in their career---- ,and still am one !

. Saw them perform in Winnipeg -TWICE !!! and would highly recommend any of their discs and most solos.Alvin was the first guitarist I witnessed playing his" git box" with his teeth, or a bow, or mic stand , and backwards and other tricks of his fender.(y)

Their early discs on London/Deram have adventurous panning , which shows off in any Quad decode, btw. The Columbia/CBS discs are no slouch either .:sun , btw.

If only Steven or Jakko or any other well informed credited surround mix master would tackle TYA'S back catalogue. It just needs to be done, fwiw. :music

TYA catalog remixed in surround by SW would be to die for! I love the ASIT quad mix.

I'm not really a "fan" of Arrowsmith but they might be considered an outlier for me. Anything interesting about that quad mix that might sell me?

ASIT is a remix done a couple years later right? And perhaps not with a huge budget? Wondering why the fx section opening HTC isn't quite right is what I'm getting at. (That reveals it was flown in from another tape for some trivia.) Everything else goes beyond the stereo mix and the "live on stage next to the guitar amps" mix of "Baby Wont You..." is hilarious.

Barclay James Harvest "Once Again"... there's a part in "Ball And Chain" with 3 discrete guitar parts in 3 corners of the room, and the bass in the 4th corner... so nice! This is a more discrete album mix than any of the other BJH surround albums (I still think "Octoberon" has better songs, though)

Back