Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Thompson - The Old Kit Bag

Thanks to a very generous member who had an extra copy. :) Good stuff.

I like it too. Imho I like it more so than the 5.1 of Rumour And Sigh, both good discs fr. Richard Thompson .

FWIW : His concert disc (DD 5.1) of the old kit tour , Live In Providence , is well worth obtaining . Extended guitar workouts make this a worthy live disc. :smokin

PINK FLOYD-POMPEII. BLU-RAY DTS

-the axeman cometh"

20170825_170123.jpg20170825_165829.jpg

E.L.O.-NO ANSWER. QUADRAPHONIC. DVD DTS

first disc with Roy Wood . And they just got better with their 70's output, but we need Jeff Lynne to issue the rest of the quads (y) - or mix em in 5.1. (y)

20170824_201308.jpg

Barclay James Harvest "Once Again"... there's a part in "Ball And Chain" with 3 discrete guitar parts in 3 corners of the room, and the bass in the 4th corner... so nice! This is a more discrete album mix than any of the other BJH surround albums (I still think "Octoberon" has better songs, though)

afaik the surround on that Once Again DVD's adapted from the old Quad, whereas their other surround albums are modern (some might say, "tamer") 5.1 mixes.

Genesis - Foxtrot

The Steve Hackett Appreciation Society remaster/restoration master. he he :D

In quiet moments I put on the SACD Gieseking Debussy Preludes . . . delicate, but delicious 8'). Not multi, but for a single piano, I don't need that <yea, yea, Philistine!>

edit: !!! I bought this on Acoustic Sounds for a very reasonable cost -- but on Amazon it is a shocker :yikes

https://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Comp...ywords=walter+gieseking+debussy+preludes+sacd

Try Discogs for 22 bucks 8'):

https://www.discogs.com/Debussy-Walter-Gieseking-Complete-Piano-Works/master/1213824

Thanks for the links! Yes, Gieseking's Debussy is a classic. A must for Debussy fans. That price on Amazon is shocking, though, isn't it! This type of 1950-70s Classical SACD is very popular in Japan. For solo instruments, I agree that stereo is fine. But modern fully immersive surround recordings are definitely welcomed. Get you some of that! LOL! :spot

David Bowie -Heathen SACD

20170827_170955.jpg

-Sure would love to hear Tony Visconti's surround mixes of "Low" and "Lodger" . Unfortunately both of his new mixes are being released in the upcoming Bowie box set, but.............stereo .

The Guess Who - Best Of (Audio Fidelity)

I haven't listened to this in a long time - and hearing it makes me long for more AF releases......such a bummer It seems all those releases were a flash in the pan. And although we critiqued them and labored over them...wow! Some great titles. Feeling a little sentimental I guess. Maybe 1 or 2 more?

I doubt it honestly...

-Sure would love to hear Tony Visconti's surround mixes of "Low" and "Lodger" . Unfortunately both of his new mixes are being released in the upcoming Bowie box set, but.............stereo .

False. "Lodger" is the only studio album in the upcoming David Bowie box set that has a new stereo mix.

Back