Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to the Meddle 5.1 mix. Every time it plays I'm blown away by how good this is. Both the mix and the album. Took me a long time to appreciate Meddle in the first place, admittedly. Since knowing the surround mix, I'm convinced that this is actually their best album. All the elements I've always loved about Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here (which were my first Pink Floyd albums) are there already, fully formed but a little more playful, before slowly turning into pastiche and without the ever more biting cynicism that would creep into their music and kinda mar it for me. Hope they give this mix its deserved non-accidental release some day.

Cool. Love Floyd and Meddle if one their best. Animals is another fave of mine. DSOTM and WYWH speak for themselves. So is the Meddle release an older one? When did this come out?

Cool. Love Floyd and Meddle if one their best. Animals is another fave of mine. DSOTM and WYWH speak for themselves. So is the Meddle release an older one? When did this come out?

5.1 Mixes of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds were done by Andy Jackson (who did The Division Bell and The Endless River 5.1 Mixes) for the Early Years set but apparently Roger Waters had them pulled for mysterious reasons. However, the Meddle mix was found to still be hidden on one of the blu-rays in the set. It's all over the internet now...

When they issued all the Early Years BDs in separate sets it was no longer there.

Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come - 2004 mix of 1997 album - DVDA.
67f83eb51e94a791e8d4a3296edf54ae.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Foo Fighters, One By One, DVD-A 5.1 Advanced Resolution, PCM 88.2 Khz at 70db. Pretty fucking awesome in my book. My favorite Foo Fighters so far, in any format.
31NBTxkbgeL._AC_US300_QL65_.jpg

Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet, Blu Ray, 5.1 DTS Master HD at 71db. This is how a Blu Ray should be done. Lyrics BABY, that is where it is at, pictures, videos. You need to own this for the education of what a Blu Ray can do. In my case I dig the music, super loud.
71p4nVIfc+L._AC_US500_QL65_.jpg

the poll comments for One By One is odd. How do you feel about the mix? Tough album to find, and pricey.
The first thing you here on track 1 is rear right guitar. Immediately you know this is going to be a discrete rocking disc. It is a little bright but who cares. It is not a Prog Rock masterpiece that so many on QQ like it is full on hard rock that sounds great in surround. If you are a guitar rock lover living in the surround world you have to let go of discrete perfection save that for the Prog and classical geeks.

One By One is a bit bright, and it is a bit over-compressed, but as I said in the poll a few years back, it's one of my favourite 'overlooked' modern 5.1 mixes.

The sound is very much in line with the stereo mix, so it's more a case of EQ and compression as artistic choices rather than some mastering engineer going overboard. I think the 5.1 mix is somewhere in the DR9-DR10 range so it's not much more or less compressed than some 70s hard rock like Canned Heat or Blue Oyster Cult.

As marpow says, the album immediately starts out with some guitar in the rear, and the rest of the album is similarly active. It seemed like most of the hard rock 5.1 mixes that came out during the major label SACD/DVD-A push in the early 00s really adhered to the 'big stereo' mixing approach, but thankfully One By One isn't one of them. I know the album isn't very highly rated amongst Foo Fighters fans, but for me it's a really consistent one - all the deeper album cuts are very enjoyable. I'd listen to this album over Scheiner's 5.1 mix of the acoustic half of In Your Honor every day of the week.

I know it's a moot point now, but I also really appreciated that EMI didn't try and gouge with the pricing of their DVD-A discs - while the Warner DVD-As were anywhere from $25-$30 Canadian new, I remember being shocked that this disc was only $17 when I bought it at Best Buy back in the day.

One By One is a bit bright, and it is a bit over-compressed, but as I said in the poll a few years back, it's one of my favourite 'overlooked' modern 5.1 mixes.

The sound is very much in line with the stereo mix, so it's more a case of EQ and compression as artistic choices rather than some mastering engineer going overboard. I think the 5.1 mix is somewhere in the DR9-DR10 range so it's not much more or less compressed than some 70s hard rock like Canned Heat or Blue Oyster Cult.

As marpow says, the album immediately starts out with some guitar in the rear, and the rest of the album is similarly active. It seemed like most of the hard rock 5.1 mixes that came out during the major label SACD/DVD-A push in the early 00s really adhered to the 'big stereo' mixing approach, but thankfully One By One isn't one of them. I know the album isn't very highly rated amongst Foo Fighters fans, but for me it's a really consistent one - all the deeper album cuts are very enjoyable. I'd listen to this album over Scheiner's 5.1 mix of the acoustic half of In Your Honor every day of the week.

I know it's a moot point now, but I also really appreciated that EMI didn't try and gouge with the pricing of their DVD-A discs - while the Warner DVD-As were anywhere from $25-$30 Canadian new, I remember being shocked that this disc was only $17 when I bought it at Best Buy back in the day.
Also, I forget what I was going to say, but you are right.

While I am waiting for my new INXS that is slow in getting to California I am watching/listening to this surround DVD that is fucking great, no doubt, any INXS fan will absolutely love it. I love this band and I am a hard rock dude but there is something about INXS that just grabs me.
index.jpg

JT
SFTW
DVD-V DTS 96/24 5.1
Second listen...VERY GOOD..would've been bettr if...awww..you know the rest...

Björk
Vespertine
DVD-A
(this one I pulled out of cold storage!)
some SERIOUS HI FI here!!
I have to admit that all these abbreviations sometimes leave me helpless. It took me some time to realise that this is not a James Taylor album I didn't know about but that you are talking about Jethro Tull's Songs from the Wood (you are, aren't you?) :mad:@:

Bowie is like pizza..even when it's bad...it's still good!!!! (hmmm, maybe the StS is the exception...)

I've only listened to the album once , so far, but I really like it... it feels like Bowie was trying to get back to his early sound with some of the instrumentation, while still incorporating modern technologies... looking forward to spending some more time with this... (then on to "Reality", which i have also never heard!)

I agree that this one has a good mix... I think, though, that it might be one of my loudest discs (and I don't mean in terms of dynamics)... I rip all my discs and put my favorite surround songs into a playlist; I use Audacity to manually adjust the volume levels on songs from different discs so the volumes are similar during playback (I know there's a function in foobar for this, but I do it anyway:mad:@:) (I also keep separate copies of the entire album in it's unaltered form)... I had to lower the volume of the "One By One" songs on the playlist about 6-7 dB to get them to a similar level as songs from most other discs! That being said, quite a few songs from this one made it to my playlist;)... good stuff!

I've only listened to the album once , so far, but I really like it... it feels like Bowie was trying to get back to his early sound with some of the instrumentation, while still incorporating modern technologies... looking forward to spending some more time with this... (then on to "Reality", which i have also never heard!)

Do you have the dual disc of REALITY? If so, watch the video Bring Me The Disco King. It sounds amazing on my system. GREAT album. http://www.davidbowie.com/news/reality-dual-disc-out-again-today-25431

Hmm, strange indeed. In my "neck of the woods" so to speak........EMI DVDA'S were rather pricey . Usually $40 beans or just a shade below, while BMG and UMG DVDA'S were by far the cheapest $20 beans, and sometimes even less.

Boy do I ever miss those days. :D(y)

Back