Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-and a bit of "Mac . Haven't listened to this for a bit.

Fleetwood Mac-Rumours DVDA

20171109_193538.jpg

I dunno, Clint. I find it has enough discrete (rear ch) interplay , to qualify as must own live surround disc.

And there is the "studio mix " bonus track of Black Dog for all Zep in surround fans like me. That Page/Plante 5.1 DVD is one of my faves I suppose you could say. :D

Still holding out hope that one day soon we FINALLY get a Studio Zep album in surround . (wonder what the Vegas odds are on that occurrence ??) :D

I see what you are saying..IMO very very few of these "live" concerts are really discrete...there aren't many live concerts like the Eagles Melbourne concert...if you just compare NO QUARTER to live concerts...it's very good...but it wouldn't hold up very well against a good studio surround mix...and IMO anything that sounds good in the Zep catalog is a winner for me...because as much as I love the Zep songs...the sound quality is usually mediocre..

The Guess Who - Best of on AF SACD in 4.0. One of the rare discs I have where I prefer the stereo mix:yikes Listening in quad this morning still trying to warm up to the muddiness, IMO. It even put Ryley to sleep ;)

C571A8C5-FB2A-47B6-AB8F-0168AEA12199.jpg

I see what you are saying..IMO very very few of these "live" concerts are really discrete...there aren't many live concerts like the Eagles Melbourne concert...if you just compare NO QUARTER to live concerts...it's very good...but it wouldn't hold up very well against a good studio surround mix...and IMO anything that sounds good in the Zep catalog is a winner for me...because as much as I love the Zep songs...the sound quality is usually mediocre..

Speaking of good discrete surround mixes of live concerts, here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

John Fogerty The Long Road Home DVD
Nirvana Unplugged DVD (has it's moments)
Eagles Live in Melbourne Blu-ray
Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS
Fleetwood Mac The Dance DVD (sounds better if you turn up the rear channels a bit... some songs are better than others)
Roy Orbison Black and White Night (NOT the anniversary edition)
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! Q8 (Phenomenal!!!)
Page and Plant No Quarter DVD- some songs are better than others

The main theme seems to be that Scheiner is the master of live surround mixes! (I believe all but the last 2 are his)
(Sorry...not trying to derail the thread... just talking to myself online:mad:@:)

Speaking of good discrete surround mixes of live concerts, here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

John Fogerty The Long Road Home DVD
Nirvana Unplugged DVD (has it's moments)
Eagles Live in Melbourne Blu-ray
Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS
Fleetwood Mac The Dance DVD (sounds better if you turn up the rear channels a bit... some songs are better than others)
Roy Orbison Black and White Night (NOT the anniversary edition)
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! Q8 (Phenomenal!!!)
Page and Plant No Quarter DVD- some songs are better than others

The main theme seems to be that Scheiner is the master of live surround mixes! (I believe all but the last 2 are his)
(Sorry...not trying to derail the thread... just talking to myself online:mad:@:)

How about John Fogerty Premonition..Another Elliot Scheiner production with a great song list..

How well does the Atmos translate to 7.1? (I have 7.2, with wides).

Sorry I haven't answered sooner but I am away at the moment, I can say that there is sound from all channels, not sure if the sound from the back speakers is different from that in the side speakers, I'll have to have another listen more closely when I get home, I listened to some of the Kraftwerk 3-D albums and they definitely has different sounds from all speakers, very impressive.
I am saving up for an Atmos upgrade to my system, Dali the makers of my speakers make Atmos speakers so I'll get them, plus I need an Atmos receiver, I'll have to ditch the side speakers to get a 5.1 Atmos (7.1 Receiver) or get a 9.1 Receiver which are much more expensive.

JT
SFTW
DVD-V DTS 96/24 5.1
Second listen...VERY GOOD..would've been bettr if...awww..you know the rest...

Björk
Vespertine
DVD-A
(this one I pulled out of cold storage!)
some SERIOUS HI FI here!!

Afternoon all alone at home, getting over from a strong cold, listening to Pink Floyd live in 1977 in glorious quad. What an experience it would have been being there!

Watching/listening to Widespread Panic at Austin City Limits, Halloween 2000. Pretty good use of the rears on this one, definitely not just ambient crowd noise. Some good discrete elements coming through. I had started to listen to these guys back around 2000 before Michael Houser died, but then I kind of fell off on them. I picked this up a couple of weeks ago to get back into them, particularly because this show is so highly regarded. A great performance - check it out...

I am systematically converting everything I have that is necessary in 16 bit stereo such as all of my Graham Parker collection because even though he barely exists in Surroundville, I can’t live without Some ‘Heat Treatment”. So I started the task of “grading” my DVD’s according to their “Surroundability”. The biggest disappointment? Prince “Rave Until The Year 2000” and the Tributes to the Stars from the artists to America after the 911 bombings. It is just pcm stereo.

What I have found that is fascinating is the 2nd DVD from the 4 DVD Set from Best Buy called “Dream Ticket” by Elton John. This second disc is clearly one of the TOP 50 surround mixes I have ever heard. The disc was recorded at the Royal Opera House in London with the London Symphony. Phil Ramone was the Sound Manager on the disc which explains part of it. The sound has a hollowness in the top 10% of the sound that gives a sound that you get from a 16 bit surround sound. The performances, mix, and distribution of noises, vocals and vocals is amazing.

The second gem I listened to was a complete surprise. The “Foghat Live over 2 centuries is the weirdest mix, that works I have heard. Nothing seems discrete, yet at times it will. The guitars sound like they are being played. 6 feet in front of the television. It fills up the room with real live concert sound, then concludes with 2 little known songs from studio sessions from before “Lonesome Dave” passed away. Is it a must have disc? Nah, but with a few beers and want to play “Slow Ride” real loud, you may have an hour or 2 of fun...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Listening to the Meddle 5.1 mix. Every time it plays I'm blown away by how good this is. Both the mix and the album. Took me a long time to appreciate Meddle in the first place, admittedly. Since knowing the surround mix, I'm convinced that this is actually their best album. All the elements I've always loved about Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here (which were my first Pink Floyd albums) are there already, fully formed but a little more playful, before slowly turning into pastiche and without the ever more biting cynicism that would creep into their music and kinda mar it for me. Hope they give this mix its deserved non-accidental release some day.

Bryan Adams - Reckless

Man, what a great album and superior sound. It's not too discreet, but wow, the rock and roll factor is immense. One of my favorite surround discs. :)

Listening to the Meddle 5.1 mix. Every time it plays I'm blown away by how good this is. Both the mix and the album. Took me a long time to appreciate Meddle in the first place, admittedly. Since knowing the surround mix, I'm convinced that this is actually their best album. All the elements I've always loved about Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here (which were my first Pink Floyd albums) are there already, fully formed but a little more playful, before slowly turning into pastiche and without the ever more biting cynicism that would creep into their music and kinda mar it for me. Hope they give this mix its deserved non-accidental release some day.

It really is a superior album and yeah....the mix is super.

It really is a superior album and yeah....the mix is super.

I wasn't really big into Floyd outside the 3 released quads and this mix made me a true fan...Andy Jackson is a genius.

"Echoes" is such an epic masterpiece.

I'm afraid to get too into the other albums I missed (Obscured By Clouds, The Wall, etc) as I'll end up craving surround versions

Back