Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roxy Music 5.1... AGAIN! This is great!... musically this reminds me of "Ziggy Stardust-era" David Bowie (but with much rougher vocals, lol)... really cool stuff and an excellent mix. I'm really glad I made this "blind surround purchase" (or should I say deaf?:mad:@:)

This turned up today, it was one I stumbled across this one whilst looking for something to get that I didn't have! Kevin Mahogany "Pride & Joy" Telarc 5.1 SACD. Its Jazz cover versions of Motown songs. Its not bad, musically I'd give it a 7 (I'm not too keen on the a cappella tracks 1 & 6) sound quality is excellent so a 9, surround is really very wide Stereo so wraps round the sides with 'stuff' happening in the rears from time to time, like the odd bit of percussion or a vocal call & answer piece. Didn't pay a lot for it new, about £12.

Steve Wilson-Get All You Deserve Blu ray.......Eric Clapton-Unplugged dvd[watched them back to back a little while ago]

Fairly productive day in surround today, all 5.1 from the big boxes:

Roxy Music - 1st album (y)
Fleetwood Mac - 1st Buckingham Nicks album (y)
REM - Automatic for the People (7.1 no ATMOS yet) (y)
Rush - Farewell to Kings (y)
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (Give me Strength) (y)
...and I feel better for it (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Just to show anyone who isn't doing FLAC multi-channel yet...it's pretty darn easy if you have an OPPO already....I normally prefer Foobar as it is PC based and gives you all sorts of visual goodies...but for those that don't want all the clutter of an extra laptop and what basics that play the music beautifully......

All you need are some FLAC files....stick them on an external 1TB Seagate drive with USB. Plug into your OPPO and you're off to the races. Here are some photos I took. Each photo represents the next "click" of the OPPO remote... Easy....

IMG_6956.JPGIMG_6957.JPGIMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6960.JPGIMG_6963.JPGIMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6965.JPGIMG_6967.JPG

LOL! The Art Garfunkel disc was only to show how small the Seagate is......not what I was playing. Also, doesn't have to be multi-channel obviously. The OPPO will read the FLACS in whatever format they are in. Stereo, 5.1...or whatever. :)

I admit, I've always struggled to like music like this...heck...I don't even know what to call it. I guess it's rock...but it's not the kind of rock I grew up on.....

That whole XTC, Tears For Fears...Duran Duran....I could go on and on lumping bands into the pile that I tend to not like. I just can't get into it.
Now, Sabbath, Zep, Purple, Priest......I can dig it. Or, Beatles, Wings, ELO, Mac...love it all.

GOS I like all those groups you cited...perhaps not so much Duran Duran though....

Just to show anyone who isn't doing FLAC multi-channel yet...it's pretty darn easy if you have an OPPO already....I normally prefer Foobar as it is PC based and gives you all sorts of visual goodies...but for those that don't want all the clutter of an extra laptop and what basics that play the music beautifully......

All you need are some FLAC files....stick them on an external 1TB Seagate drive with USB. Plug into your OPPO and you're off to the races. .........Here are some photos I took. Each photo represents the next "click" of the OPPO remote... Easy....

Yes!

I do it both ways too: (1) Hard drive w/FLACs via USB to Oppo, and (2) files on NAS server w/DLNA player to control playback.

One big advantage to the USB hard drive Oppo/FLAC method: It’s easy to achieve gapless play - natively supported by the Oppo. Gapless is much more complicated with the server approach.

Bryan Adams Reckless Blu Ray, DTS HD MA 5.1 24 bit/96kHz: I like the content of this disc; it could just be me but is it lacking in the "oomph" department? I should check my settings but it seems a little weak, even with the surrounds bumped. It's clean and crisp to my ears but something's missing. I tried the Dolby True HD first, not much difference. Not complaining, just curious.

Back