Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not the angle...he's a monster. Best guess....he's 20 pounds...maybe more. He's really long, but yeah....huge gut. :)

A Christmas gift from Mr and Mrs Gos 3.0 to their beloved Feline, Lamar 2.0 [twenty pounder]

CAT-TREADMILL.gif

GENE PROMISED TO PLAY CAT SCRATCH FEVER IF I LOST A POUND

Last edited:
Hmmmmm - what should I listen to.....only I'm in my recliner...cat is on my lap...beer in hand. Geez, I don't want to have to put down recliner...ditch the cat......walk over to the closet...turn on the light...search with my blind old eyes for a disc..........

Oh, wait a minute...I've ripped all my discs. I guess I can just sit here and find something to listen to. lmao

Fried Pride - Masterpiece (DVD-A)

A Japanese smooth jazz ensemble covers several popular songs, such Superstition, What's Going On, Come Together, etc... Funny thing is that only the first 4 songs are given a 5.1 mix. All 10 songs have a 2-ch stereo mix. It's a pity because the 5.1 mix is immersive with discrete elements.

Well,

I just picked this up yesterday and gave "the Imagine Film " a spin.

No Deluxo set yet , but one day soon perhaps.

I gotta say I'm very impressed with the sound on this film version

Contains all of the album plus some tunes fr Yoko 's Fly album. And hers are pretty good .
I kinda get the impression they are a 5.1 of her QUAD mix , what with her vocal in centre. It's got that very early quad mix thing , silly ,experimental but good.

Gonna spin it a 2nd time tonite , just gotta you know, cause I like what I hear.

A pretty good mix by Paul Hicks , supered by Yoko on that film.

John Lennon - The Imagine Film and Gimme Some Truth Blu ray

20181027_111346.jpg
20181027_111505.jpg

Is this one of those wild early 70's QUAD remixes? Would love it if Sony Japan or Dutton Vocalion released it on SACD.

Hmmm - I don't know about this one.... surprised I've never heard of it.

It's from one of the robin reels, the quad mix was never actually released on SQ LP or Q8. I have to assume it's some kind of wacky test mix, because I just pulled out the files and the channel assignments are all over the place! Some songs have vocals in the rears or on one side of the room only. I'm tempted to play around with the channels now...

Last edited:
It's from one of the robin reels, the quad mix was never actually released on SQ LP or Q8. I have to assume it's some kind of wacky test mix, because I just pulled out the files and the channel assignments are all over the place! Some songs have vocals in the rears or on one side of the room only. I'm tempted to play around with the channels now...

To this day, Jonathan, I find it remarkable that Columbia Records with its flawed SQ matrix system NEVER released QUAD Open Reels in the 70's when almost all of their competition were....even at a time when Columbia DID release Stereo Open Reels at 7 1/2 ips and later at 3 3/4 and marketed them through their Columbia House 'store' in Terre Haute, Indiana. Instead they incredulously opted for Q8!!!!!!!!

BTW, do you know what 'generation' your Robbins' Reels are since a lot of dupes were extracted from those original 'masters.' I've never had the privilege of hearing any.

Yeah, what sjcorne said and all with some good bluesy music too.

Continuing with an album that I would like to see get a real surround mix in the Bitches Brew vein (y), though this is just a stereo surround upmix it is one that I feel would be hard pressed to be improved on as it is a really good one as is (also bring on some albums by all the principles Chick Corea, Stanley Clark, Lenny White and Al De Meola and just for grins throw in some Jean Luc-Ponty for some added jazzrockfusion)

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (stereo upmix)

Romantic Warrior.jpg

Last edited:
Back